Sponsored

When will my mt82 die!?!?

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The age old question, and understanding there are a number of external factors that can effect the life of your clutch let’s chat. I am a planner, always have been. And I am curious what to expect from my mt82 clutch and when i can expect it to fail. Car has 22k miles, 2.5 years old and is my daily. No track or drag, hand full of peel outs over its life from car shows, driven mostly in commuter traffic. How long can we expect this baby to last???
Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I figure the clutch could last as long as 60K + if you aren't driving hard and burning it up. Other than that, with good fluid changes, I see no reason why the transmission won't last the life of the engine. My Mt82 is the best transmission I've had in a mustang.

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
mine has 63K all seems to be fine....I took a focus with a 2.0 DOHC up over 90K with me as the original owner - learned to drive manual on it, a couple friends did too. Beat that car to death. The clutch slipped a bit, didn't bite so hard, but it was functional, all was working okay...unless you're riding the clutch or something stupid, resting your foot on the clutch pedal, etc. I think it'll last for a real long time.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
No track or drag, hand full of peel outs over its life from car shows. How long can we expect the bumpers, fenders, undercarriage, and drivers license to last???
Fixed [/Mustang C&C stereotype]

OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
63K miles, 20 1/4 mile runs, and 2 smokey burnouts. Drives just fine, not once have I missed a 2-3 shift taking it up to 7.5K rpm. Like everything else, If you treat it like crap it will break sooner than later.

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
From you sig, it looks like you are mostly stock so I would say with no major abuse, it will last you a long time. You hear a lot of grumbles from the forums but a lot of those people are boosted or abuse the shit out of the tranny. Think about how many guys are pushing 700+ hp out of their MT-82 with stock clutches. If you don't drive it like you stole it every second, you will be just fine.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
36K, 10+ track days, 5-6 drag events... still going. Driveline clunks like a somabich but, well... that's Ford's half-assery not the clutch.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I was in panic mode a little over a year ago. For Christmas I put CJ's print out up on the fridge for the RST clutch and flywheel. Wife bought me the flywheel and after she found out is was something I didn't need yet, she tried to get me to return it. Yea, she was pissed at me Christmas morning.
35,000+ and still hanging in there strong.

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L
New I like it a lot. I powershift all the time lol
4k miles warranty rebuild and another again on warranty at 8k miles I threw the towel lol.*
This being said if you don't powershift too much or at all the mt82 is very reliable. Even then you can be more lucky than I was.

Abuse it and the synchros and forch may fail faster than a old t-5 like on my 93 5.0l. The week point are the synchros and forks.

Supposedly they improve synchro and fork in 2018 if it's true it will make a big difference.
But again without too much abuse/powershift the pre 2018 mt82 are good!
Sponsored

Last edited: