Sponsored

Bad paint job

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
OP lives in Florida LOL

IF the shop baked it plus that thing sitting outside in the FL heat after 2 weeks Id expect it to be pretty gassed out.

The prepwork makes or breaks a paint job. If its peeling then I doubt the OP caused it.
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Here's a short video from a paint instructor

[ame]

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
Clarify. You are saying a peeling paint job is not the shops fault? Stating buffing and the coating caused it? What kind of clear do you use? If the mil thickness is so thin that buffing(color sanding) opened it up to the point it failed, that’s on the shop. Now if the clear discolored before properly being cured, that’s a different story. Baking helps the process but it does not fully cure the substrates on a paint job. Only time for proper outgassing will do that. Without a few good photo’s this is all little more then guessing and conjecture. Regardless of the cause it is all one hundred percent on the shop. They should have at the very least given the op a list of what and what not to do for x amount of time.
yeah if the mil is thin i agree sanding and buffing thin mils of clear is on the shop for sure .. i use rm diamont and i always use 3 coats on most jobs.. lately ive been using basf norbin as a overall clear. but rm on most jobs.ive seen shit clears used by some shops and there worthless.. i could name 5 off the top of my head that the own company that makes them wont warranty them

prob you run into is what if the shop already sanded and buff the panels, then the detailer did the same thats where stuff gets tricky.. i have snap clears that i can use wet on wet then after 3 hrs i can sand and buff . just depends on what clear they used

aks0605

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
looks like all the answers are covered in this one. lol i really hope they took care of it for you. i just wouldnt tell them it was corrected because that gives them leverage to blame it on you. Like another said have to wait 90 for the paint to cure before you can put any silicone based product on the paint. If it doesnt contain silicates then its ok to use.
Sponsored