Sponsored

Centering steering wheel;

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
I hope this is the right forum section.

I have recently switched out my steering wheel for the GT350 version, and it is slightly off center (car going straight and wheel looking slightly to the right). Is there any way I can fix this myself?

Did I screw something up? I really hope I didn't force the steering wheel.
Sponsored

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I doubt you've hurt anything--unlike most other cars that have splined steering columns, the Mustang column is hex shaped where the steering wheel mounts. You'd be 60 degrees out if you put in on wrong. A minor misalignment may be due to the way the steering wheel was made. You can either live with it or have the steering wheel recentered by adjusting the tie rod ends. I'd recommend an alignment shop for that........

Last edited:
OP
OP

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
I doubt you've hurt anything--unlike most other cars that have splined steering columns, the Mustang column is hex shaped where the steering wheel mounts. You'd be 60 degrees out if you put in on wrong. A minor misalignment may be due to the way the steering wheel was made. You can either live with it or have the steering wheel recentered my adjusting the tie rod ends. I'd recommend an alignment shop for that........
Thank you, Rod!

Great! - Perfect timing on the alignment as I was going to get one soon. I will mention it to them.,

I would say it is 1-2 degrees facing to the right (not a major deal, but a deal regardless) :)

Bert03GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Lol I just changed mine this weekend to the CJ Pony one and it’s also off just slightly to the right.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Paint pen and sharpie marker
Clean tie rod threads w brake clean to get good marks.
Mark a line across tie rod/locknut/threaded shaft.
Measure steering wheel offset/error while driving. I just count number of pinky widths away from center. Like 2.5 pinkie fingers.

If steering wheel points right of center, you will shorten tie rod right side.
Loosen locknuts without changing length (two wrenches).
If it slips, just line mark on shaft threads back up with tie rod end.

Watch your marks and SHORTEN one half turn.
Always LENGTHEN opposite side exact same.

Lightly snug lock nuts.

Go check results. If half turn gets you only half a pinkie correction, and you need 2.5 pinkies, well then 5 more half turns.

If you always do exact same turns both side, no need for alignment.

Retighten lock nuts firm (dont strip) when done.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I have this same issue on my 2016. I swapped in the GT350R wheel 6 months ago, and after rotating tires about two months ago, my wheel is about 5 degrees left of center. Not knowing what was going on, I brought it in for an alignment, and they adjusted things, but didn't center the wheel. I just haven't had the time to get under the car and start messing with the tie rods.

This is the first car I've ever had that seems to have this issue. Is it something inherent in the design of the S550? Seems a lot of folks have this problem at one point or another with this car.

JR

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Whoever did the alignment owes you a centered wheel. I always make a big fuss about wanting the wheel straight as many shops don't seem concerned about getting that correct 99% of the time.

I guess it isn't need to actually have the alignment specs correct?

DavidinDurango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I doubt you've hurt anything--unlike most other cars that have splined steering columns, the Mustang column is hex shaped where the steering wheel mounts. You'd be 60 degrees out if you put in on wrong. A minor misalignment may be due to the way the steering wheel was made. You can either live with it or have the steering wheel recentered by adjusting the tie rod ends. I'd recommend an alignment shop for that........
This/\/\/\. and make friends with the tech so he knows how important this is to you.
Good Luck!

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Whoever did the alignment owes you a centered wheel. I always make a big fuss about wanting the wheel straight as many shops don't seem concerned about getting that correct 99% of the time.

I guess it isn't need to actually have the alignment specs correct?
After I had the alignment done, I was talking to a local guy that had a TT GT350, and happened to run a tire shop about it. He explained the process of fixing it, and said that most alignment guys are too lazy to spend the time to assess the steering wheel alignment, adjust the tie rods, then drive and assess again, then adjust, etc. I, myself, have similarly been too lazy.

JR

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
After I had the alignment done, I was talking to a local guy that had a TT GT350, and happened to run a tire shop about it. He explained the process of fixing it, and said that most alignment guys are too lazy to spend the time to assess the steering wheel alignment, adjust the tie rods, then drive and assess again, then adjust, etc. I, myself, have similarly been too lazy.

JR
There is an alignment shop nearby that does manual alignments. They charge close to $300.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
With the STOCK steering wheel, it has always been difficult for alignment shops to get my steering wheel centered stock suspension and beyond. Haha...

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Uhhh guys. This is wicked retarded easy to correct as above.
Two wrenches and couple bricks/wood/$20 jack stands.
Lol, Ill do it for a six pack (bottles please).

If you want it centered at alignment shop:
Take them breakfast and ask them to lock the wheel perfectly centered and adjust tie rod ends.

Losobaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt w/PP
i did this and i took it to ford to get an alignment and they told me they couldnt align the steering wheel bc it was lowered smfh. i had to go to a performance shop. im so over ford service smh.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
My alignment guy always uses a level on the steering to center it and it has always been PERFECT!
Sponsored