Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=20846]ddozier[/MENTION]

Are you running the diff/trans cooler under the Velox diffuser?

Plenty of room under the diffuser to mount the fan/cooler?

Any pictures of that would be very helpful.
Sponsored

Trakhor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Even with our cooler running on a high speed track like Road America we can see diff temps spike into the 245-250 range, but they are short term spikes and will rapidly drop to the 210-220 range. I never had a temp sensor to check before data but the rear end must get crazy hot when no diff cooler is used.

The trans is likely running hotter than the diff, with our cooler on the trans we still see trans temps peak out at 248 on a big track like Road America after a 25 min session.

This is certainly in the manageable range but ideally I would like to see peak temps not exceed 225, this is going to take a much larger cooler than the one we are currently running to meet that goal.

I ran -6 hose up and over the fuel tank and transition to hard line -6 tube by the front passenger corner of the fuel tank, run the hard lines down the passenger side and then to the trans tunnel, I then change back to a hose an connect to the trans. They is no real clean path to get there and you have to be careful to heat shield everything to make sure you do not end up heating the tube with the exhaust.

I have attached some pics, not the best but it will give you an idea for what I did.

Dave
Thanks for the info. That helps. If you were doing it again/on your next build would you use that dual circuit cooler again?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
My temp sensor on my MT82 is in the drain hole. Just used a threaded adapter. Works fine and the sensor isn't hanging lower than the lowest point of the car anyway.

As for MT82 temps at Road America... I can max out my gauge at 260*. It's a Glowshift gauge, so perhaps it's not accurate, but I'm positive it's not far off because I can swap the plug in for my other two Glowshift gauges and get the same exactly every time. So either the temp sensors they provide are bad or I'm well over 260* on track with my MT82. I can delay the temp climb with higher gears, but it's inevitable. On the street, the transmission never gets more than 180.

Trakhor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
My temp sensor on my MT82 is in the drain hole. Just used a threaded adapter. Works fine and the sensor isn't hanging lower than the lowest point of the car anyway.

As for MT82 temps at Road America... I can max out my gauge at 260*. It's a Glowshift gauge, so perhaps it's not accurate, but I'm positive it's not far off because I can swap the plug in for my other two Glowshift gauges and get the same exactly every time. So either the temp sensors they provide are bad or I'm well over 260* on track with my MT82. I can delay the temp climb with higher gears, but it's inevitable. On the street, the transmission never gets more than 180.
What does your diff get to on the street? This time of year with highs just over 100 it doesn't take much to get to 200. When the highs are in the 80s-90s the diff won't hit 200 unless i'm beating on it or am on a 90 minute plus drive

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Diff I don't have a temp sensor in yet connected to a gauge. I only ever get the overtemp warning on track days. If I burn through a mountain run full nuts, I don't (because it's not lapping)... but that's the closest to track conditions I can get to.

I use BG fluid. It helps get me a lap or two more. I've basically resorted to doing only two or three hot laps and the rest trying to work my line. That's kept things sane. Probably better for me as a driver anyway, but honestly it's annoying because all the people I pass or stayed away from start showing up and I spend more time pointing people by.

Sponsored

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
Having a 2015 GT, the car seeing track time and no Diff sensor...
I want to make steps to reduce the potential overheating whilst on track.

So first step, exhaust wrapping.
Does anyone have experience of this..? Which sections did you wrap.?
Which product.? Was it effective.?

I guess it cannot hurt..!
I already have the BG 75/140 fluid swap.

TIA. Bridgie.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
[MENTION=20846]ddozier[/MENTION]

Are you running the diff/trans cooler under the Velox diffuser?

Plenty of room under the diffuser to mount the fan/cooler?

Any pictures of that would be very helpful.
So far not with the diffuser but it fits and there is still plenty of airflow with the 10" fan, the diffuser may actually help as it should clean up the airflow under the rear bumper and I can add some naca ducts to it if needed.

Thanks for the info. That helps. If you were doing it again/on your next build would you use that dual circuit cooler again?
Road America is the worst case test environment for the system and it did its job, on a smaller slower track it will perform even better.

Dave

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Having a 2015 GT, the car seeing track time and no Diff sensor...
I want to make steps to reduce the potential overheating whilst on track.

So first step, exhaust wrapping.
Does anyone have experience of this..? Which sections did you wrap.?
Which product.? Was it effective.?

I guess it cannot hurt..!
I already have the BG 75/140 fluid swap.

TIA. Bridgie.
This link shows how I wrapped my exhaust. It's not my thread, but exactly how I did it. You start wrapping right in front of the hanger behind the differential and then work forward. I did it when I got my cat back exhaust. I used this from Amazon. I found that it got me a few more laps on warm days before the warning light came on. The biggest problem with the fluid getting hot is just plain lack of volume, unlike a straight axle which has much more fluid to heat up.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
he biggest problem with the fluid getting hot is just plain lack of volume, unlike a straight axle which has much more fluid to heat up.
Don't forget that the stick axle also has that extra surface area of the axle tubes to dump heat through.

Norm

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Does anyone know the sizes for transmission drain plug and rear differential drain plug?
Only thing I can find online is 1/2" - 14 for the diff drain plug. Can someone confirm?

Sponsored

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
Rear diff plugs are 1/2 npt. Trans plugs are a straight (as opposed to tapered pipe thread) metric thread

lil'Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane Landis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 1993 Ford Lightning 2018 Jeep Unlimited Sahara 2004 Ford F150
I'm in the process of trying to put together a transmission and oil cooler set up for my 18 gt pp1 with a 10R80 trans. If I run big coolers up front does anyone with experience in adding coolers feel this will hurt the engine cooling on the car? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored