Sponsored

Hood corrosion

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
So I picked up the car last Monday. It was raining and they parked it outside, so it was all wet which made it very hard to REALLY look at the paint. I spent a good 10 minutes going over all the edges and surface areas and it looked pretty good (aside from minor orange peel which I was planning on polishing out after it cured). Well, last night I finally had a chance to look at the car while it was dry, and this little gem popped out. I guess I'm taking it back to the dealership and going to be without my car for another week.

(The car is slightly dirty right now, that's all the black specs.)
That's solvent pop. They can't fix it without repainting. Dont let them tell you otherwise.
Sponsored

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
That's solvent pop. They can't fix it without repainting. Dont let them tell you otherwise.
Yea I was thinking the same. If they strip this hood to repaint, will it increase the chances of corroding like the old one? Should I push for a new hood again?

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Yea I was thinking the same. If they strip this hood to repaint, will it increase the chances of corroding like the old one? Should I push for a new hood again?
Corroding happens inside out. It's a reaction between the steel reinforcement and aluminum shell. Repainting shouldn't be an issue. Just hope that its fixed the 2nd time around. They took 4 times to get mine acceptable so that I could trade the car in.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Corroding happens inside out. It's a reaction between the steel reinforcement and aluminum shell. Repainting shouldn't be an issue. Just hope that its fixed the 2nd time around. They took 4 times to get mine acceptable so that I could trade the car in.
Did they repaint your whole hood each of those times?

Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I got mine back 2 weeks ago, paint not perfect, the shop said they wanted to let it cure more before working on paint, I was also missing the emissions and ac stickers. So the car has been sitting at home in the garage for 2 weeks, will take it back to shop soon, I am seeing more defects...might need a repaint.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I got mine back 2 weeks ago, paint not perfect, the shop said they wanted to let it cure more before working on paint, I was also missing the emissions and ac stickers. So the car has been sitting at home in the garage for 2 weeks, will take it back to shop soon, I am seeing more defects...might need a repaint.
The crazy part is that once a panel is repainted, you can't wax or buff it for 2-3 months. That's how long it takes for the paint to cure. In reality, they should be providing factory repainted parts because the repainted part is much softer and susceptible to chips and scratches.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
The crazy part is that once a panel is repainted, you can't wax or buff it for 2-3 months. That's how long it takes for the paint to cure. In reality, they should be providing factory repainted parts because the repainted part is much softer and susceptible to chips and scratches.
They forgot my emissions stickers too. I didn't even know what they were talking about when they called and offered to mail them to me. My dealership is telling me to deal with the body shop directly regarding the poor paint quality. I feel like since this is a warranty claim, they should be dealing with the body shop. I'm also going to push for a Mustang loaner. Last time I got a 1.0L EcoSport CUV ("Echo-Sport"). Why do those even exist? It was so crappy. See this Jalopnik article for review/laughs.

Last edited:

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
They forgot my emissions stickers too. I didn't even know what they were talking about when they called and offered to mail them to me. My dealership is telling me to deal with the body shop directly regarding the poor paint quality. I feel like since this is a warranty claim, they should be dealing with the body shop. I'm also going to push for a Mustang loaner. Last time I got a 1.0L EcoSport CUV ("Echo-Sport"). Why do those even exist? It was so crappy. See this Jalopnik article for review/laughs.
Yup... They told me to deal with the paint shop myself as well. After they couldn't get it right the 3rd time around, I went to the dealer and asked them if I could take it to a different shop. The CSR said no, ford had paid that shop and that they had to be the ones to get it right. After the 4th time, my poor car had been repainted 4 times in the rear. It still looked bad if you looked at it closely. I took it and traded it in the next day. Anyone around DMV area, avoid Caliber Collision at all costs. After the 1st time around, they said that they had to let a few painters go because of shoddy work. Was my car a test subject or something?

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Yup... They told me to deal with the paint shop myself as well. After they couldn't get it right the 3rd time around, I went to the dealer and asked them if I could take it to a different shop. The CSR said no, ford had paid that shop and that they had to be the ones to get it right. After the 4th time, my poor car had been repainted 4 times in the rear. It still looked bad if you looked at it closely. I took it and traded it in the next day. Anyone around DMV area, avoid Caliber Collision at all costs. After the 1st time around, they said that they had to let a few painters go because of shoddy work. Was my car a test subject or something?
The body shop the dealership sent me to is associated with the dealership. Both are part of the Daytona Automall and there are like 12 different dealerships who all use the same body shop. The service advisor at the body shop took a long weekend so I'm gonna stop by tomorrow afternoon and see what he says.

Sponsored

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Well, I am on this list too. Spotted corrosion on the very front of my hood. So add this on top of my popping axle and also broken clutch pedal... I think it may be time to get rid of this car.

ab6yaa.jpg

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I am on this list too. Spotted corrosion on the very front of my hood. So add this on top of my popping axle and also broken clutch pedal... I think it may be time to get rid of this car.
Welcome to the club.

I took mine back to the body shop last Tuesday, and they were convinced they could buff it out. I'm doubting their claim, so I went right over to the dealership so they could document the poor paint job. I was told that the body shop handles all of the documenting, but the service manager of the dealership will go back to the body shop with me next Tuesday when they plan to try and buff it. I guess I'll see what comes of it.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
man im so glad i dont own mine anymore. when i had it fixed I knew it would come back. i didn't want to stick around for that.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Of course my 2015 they won't cover under warranty, however. The Ford body shop st the dealership I typically go to said they will warranty their work for as long as I own the car. Gotta check with the body shop I typically go to tho.

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Of course my 2015 they won't cover under warranty, however. The Ford body shop st the dealership I typically go to said they will warranty their work for as long as I own the car. Gotta check with the body shop I typically go to tho.
Why would they not cover it? Isn't corrosion 6 year / unlimited mile warranty?
Sponsored