Sponsored

Lost both keys....what now?

RayJHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
It is a long story but I originally lost my main key to my car and started using my backup. Well now the backup was stolen and I am without a key. I am going to call the dealer this morning to see what the cost is and I know it is not going to be good. My question is does anyone know a link to a base model w/o remote start key fob at a good price? That ships fast or what I really would like to do is order a 18 key if I can use it. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RayJHT

RayJHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Thanks! It really sucks they don't ship faster but it may be my only bet. Any info on the 2018 unit?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Typically have to have the other key in hand for a dealer to program one you bought online (to prevent theft). You will have to prove ownership of the vehicle to get a key. When this happened to me years ago, I had to provide a notorized copy of the title to Harley-Davidson CORPORATE to get a key made.

OP
OP
RayJHT

RayJHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Hopefully they will take the registration without issue. I do know you need both keys to program a new one at home. The dealer I am sure can do it without.

Sponsored

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
You will have to prove ownership of the vehicle to get a key. When this happened to me years ago, I had to provide a notorized copy of the title to Harley-Davidson CORPORATE to get a key made.
I had to do this to get a new key from BMW/MINI. :rant:

OP
OP
RayJHT

RayJHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Talk to the dealer and they stated that I have to buy 2 keys and pay to get both programmed.....oh and I have to have to car towed into to them to have it all done. $140 per key and $120 per programming. :)

OP
OP
RayJHT

RayJHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Well another dealer said something totally different than the first. He said I don't have to bring the car in I can just come by and buy the key and get it programmed for around $300. 1 Key and car not needed. He also suggested that I just call a locksmith and they could do it for much cheaper. Most of them that I have called have been around $150 total. I will update you all how it goes in order to help others that end up in my situation.

On a side note he did state that a 2018 key would not work BUT I learned a long time ago dealers really don't know what they are talking about when it comes to backwards compatibility.

OP
OP
RayJHT

RayJHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Ok so the locksmith came out and I knew he was going to pull a fast one on the pricing. It ended up being $300 so it is about the same as the dealer except you don't have to get the car towed in. He then offers me the option of calling him at a later date to get a second key for $200....what it was originally supposed to cost. All local locksmiths would not lock in a price and I knew why....because they were going to pull a fast one once they arrived. Anyway I hope this helps someone in the future.

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Stop losing keys.. LMAO!

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Oh you meant about your keys... oh that what now... i'll tell you about what now between you and your keys, there are no YOU and YOUR keys, not anymore.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
LOL

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
What now?

Check pockets for holes :D

TC

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
i'm more worried about the stolen key and if this person knows it's for your car... can ford delete it from memory or does everything have to be recoded?
Sponsored