Adjustable shocks and struts

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I'll have my supercharger installed next month and so am now looking for adjustable shocks and struts door my 2015 Mustang GT. Who makes something like the tokico d specs I had on my 2011 GT? I don't care for the koni yellows. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

brendon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
brendon
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Steeda makes some rebound adjustable shocks that are competitive with Koni Yellow's. They have a range of springs as well. I've been thinking about them myself but it's not worth it to me if they aren't a significant improvement over my base PP stuff

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I just remember how excellent my setup was on my 2011 with Tokico D-specs and P springs along with the BMR watts link. Fairly quiet, excellent handling.
I had the Koni Yellows before the D-specs and I thought they were quite inferior to the D-specs.
I have been looking at coil overs but they are something I have never used before. I'd go for them if I knew they wouldn't add NVH which is something I will not go back to.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
The S197 was alot different, however I know the right guy to chat with that has jumped from that platform into the new one with similar taste and setups. I'm your huckleberry. ;)

Wanna give me a ring tomorrow and chat?

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Steeda makes some rebound adjustable shocks that are competitive with Koni Yellow's. They have a range of springs as well. I've been thinking about them myself but it's not worth it to me if they aren't a significant improvement over my base PP stuff
The Steeda Pro-Action dampers fixed or Adjustable are an upgrade to the PP components. We use the PP components and ford performance as a benchmark, then test different valve settings to exceed the ride quality both on the street and at the track of the competition.

You are correct we offer more spring combinations than all our competitors combined.

Thank you,

Steeda Tech

Sponsored

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
OK. I'm looking for no increase in NVH. None. I know I'll have to sacrifice some handling. Adjustable dampers and very little, if any lowering.

Last edited:

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
WITHOUT A DOUBT the Steeda Pro-action shocks and struts are an upgrade to the stock PP stuff and worth every penny. Handles VERY well, better ride, just better all around. I never had the BMR stuff, but c'mon, they have good sh*t too, so I'm not hatin'. But as for the Steeda Pro-Action adjustable shocks and struts that I have experience with, it's money well spent. Everyday. I'd buy them again without hesitation. And the billet mounts.

RonStang6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Oxford White Auto
Adjustable Shocks & Struts

I'll have my supercharger installed next month and so am now looking for adjustable shocks and struts door my 2015 Mustang GT. Who makes something like the tokico d specs I had on my 2011 GT? I don't care for the koni yellows. Any suggestions?
I would also recommend Steeda Adjustable Pro-Action Shocks & Struts along with the Steeda 12 mm Billet Shock Mounts and Steeda Bump Stops. I have had this combination on my 2016 GT auto with non-pp springs for about 6K miles. I have had several BMW's in the past with Koni Yellows and Steeda Adjustable Shocks & Struts ride a whole lot better. The Steeda Billet Shock Mounts help improve the bouncy ride of stock rear shocks. And the Steeda Bump Stops improve the ride quality. I installed the Steeda Bump Stops in the rear after the shocks, struts and shock mounts were installed and there was an additional improvement in ride quality in the rear. I would recommend the Steeda Bump Stops in both front and rear but the fronts are a lot harder after the initial installation. I have the rebound adjustment set at 3/16 turn from full soft on both the front and rear. I have tried several stiffer rebound adjustments and I found that I like the relatively soft rebound adjustment the best. This is something each driver will have to find for themselves. My preference is for the best ride quality over best handling.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I would also recommend Steeda Adjustable Pro-Action Shocks & Struts along with the Steeda 12 mm Billet Shock Mounts and Steeda Bump Stops. I have had this combination on my 2016 GT auto with non-pp springs for about 6K miles. I have had several BMW's in the past with Koni Yellows and Steeda Adjustable Shocks & Struts ride a whole lot better. The Steeda Billet Shock Mounts help improve the bouncy ride of stock rear shocks. And the Steeda Bump Stops improve the ride quality. I installed the Steeda Bump Stops in the rear after the shocks, struts and shock mounts were installed and there was an additional improvement in ride quality in the rear. I would recommend the Steeda Bump Stops in both front and rear but the fronts are a lot harder after the initial installation. I have the rebound adjustment set at 3/16 turn from full soft on both the front and rear. I have tried several stiffer rebound adjustments and I found that I like the relatively soft rebound adjustment the best. This is something each driver will have to find for themselves. My preference is for the best ride quality over best handling.
Thanks for the detailed information. Did you find an increase in NVH? I ordered the Ford Performance anti-sway bars because they use rubber instead of poly bushings. I had a firm ride on my SHO with the PP and loved it. Firm is good, NVH is not. I've had practically every bar/bushing combination on my S197s and found that with only a few exceptions got tired of the road noise coming through.

I really like the adjustability aspect of these. Didn't like the Konis on my S197 as they felt coarse or harsh compared to the fine tuning of the Tokicos. Any add'l info you can give would be really helpful. Thanks.

RonStang6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
GreenS550, I think there is probably less NVH with the Steeda adjustable shocks & struts but it is hard to tell because I added all of the other chassis stiffeners I have on my car at about the same time. One thing I did find was when I was trying to find the right rebound stiffness is that making the adjustments in 1/8 turn increments helped. I got to 3/16 turn by going to a 1/4 turn and finding that to stiff so I backed off half the width of the ear on the adjustment tool and I found that just right. Fine tuning the shocks & struts took a lot of tries and a lot of miles at each try to find what I liked best. But I have been at my current adjustment for about 5000 mile so I think I am at a sweet spot for me.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Can someone comment on how accessible it is to adjust the steeda shocks when they are installed. Looking at the instructions and searching the web I cannot find any pics or video's of the actual adjustment. Do you have to remove wheels and or other components for access?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Can someone comment on how accessible it is to adjust the steeda shocks when they are installed. Looking at the instructions and searching the web I cannot find any pics or video's of the actual adjustment. Do you have to remove wheels and or other components for access?
It’s probably like the Konis. Struts you adjust under the hood and the rear you need to jack up a little bit to get the key in the adjuster.

RonStang6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Yes you adjust them the same way as the Koni yellows. It takes 5 minuets to do both of the fronts and about 10 minuets to do each of the rears. For the rears you can use scissor jack on the pinch weld in front of each rear wheel to jack the car up enough to reach in over the top rear tire. I did this at least 10 times trying to what adjustment point I liked the best. It is well worth the effort once you get them dialed in.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
GreenS550, I think there is probably less NVH with the Steeda adjustable shocks & struts but it is hard to tell because I added all of the other chassis stiffeners I have on my car at about the same time. One thing I did find was when I was trying to find the right rebound stiffness is that making the adjustments in 1/8 turn increments helped. I got to 3/16 turn by going to a 1/4 turn and finding that to stiff so I backed off half the width of the ear on the adjustment tool and I found that just right. Fine tuning the shocks & struts took a lot of tries and a lot of miles at each try to find what I liked best. But I have been at my current adjustment for about 5000 mile so I think I am at a sweet spot for me.
What type of driving do you typically do? I recently installed the STEEDA adjustable dampeners and I've experimented a little with adjustments at an Auto-X event yesterday. I know there's a lot more capability available and I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about them before my next track day. Any comments feedback would be greatly appreciated. TIA :thumbsup:

It’s probably like the Konis. Struts you adjust under the hood and the rear you need to jack up a little bit to get the key in the adjuster.
Boom. That's what I do.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda adjustable ProActions are an incredible value for most any spring; if you stay with OEM springs (or up to 250F/900R) the non-adjustable ProAction are perfect and will save you a few bucks.

Stay away from coilovers on a streetcar unless you order them with kidney-saving rates.
Sponsored