Sponsored

Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil Wear Protection results!

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
His testing procedure may not directly replicate our engine, but if an oil can withstand more pressure more than likely it's going to be able to protect your engine better. I don't see how anybody could argue otherwise.

I'm supercharged pushing double factory HP, I'm willing to spend the extra money to get an oil that I know can withstand more pressure than Walmart oil.

Sure, the difference in engine longevity may be small and out of normal reach. But I have no doubt that after 200k miles on a highly rated oil my engine will have more horsepower than a 200k mile car ran on Walmart oil it's whole life. And that's the reason I use Quaker Ultimate Durability, which rated highest in this test.
Sponsored

Spartanator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Stage 3 Roush
Funny, I changed my oil today. This time I went with Amsoil Signature Synt. (2nd time so old stuff is flushed out). It wasn't perfect at 5K miles but I have seen worse, been real hard on my car the last 5K miles too. If I tracked the car it would be changed daily, not an Engineer but I would try to prevent as much early wear as I could.

OP
OP
1380KPOI

1380KPOI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Poi Boy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
His testing procedure may not directly replicate our engine, but if an oil can withstand more pressure more than likely it's going to be able to protect your engine better. I don't see how anybody could argue otherwise.

I'm supercharged pushing double factory HP, I'm willing to spend the extra money to get an oil that I know can withstand more pressure than Walmart oil.

Sure, the difference in engine longevity may be small and out of normal reach. But I have no doubt that after 200k miles on a highly rated oil my engine will have more horsepower than a 200k mile car ran on Walmart oil it's whole life. And that's the reason I use Quaker Ultimate Durability, which rated highest in this test.
I too also use QSUD. His blog is updated regularly and recently tested Amsoil signature series with different weights. They were the highest scoring oil he has ever tested coming straight out of the bottle without any additional oil additives added. But for the price, the best bang for your buck is QSUD in the 5 quart jugs at Walmart

OP
OP
1380KPOI

1380KPOI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Poi Boy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
It's been known that approximately 99% of all engine wear is from a cold start. So for those few seconds all that is remaining between the metal parts is a thin oil film So why not choose an oil with a high film strength to assist with wear protection? It's not rocket science but others have a difficult time digesting this

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
My take on it is that some folks can’t stand that oil blog’s author and his tone. I think his test data makes sense.

I’ll continue to digest his blog and use it for oil selection. There is no other comparative source for that type of info.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
It's almost reassuring in a way that this forum also has it's long running oil debates. I've seen it on every other forum I've been a member of since...well since forums for automotive enthusiasts started gaining popularity.

The truth is that most people don't keep their car long enough - or put enough miles on it - to really take advantage of the difference in most modern oils.

Someone mentioned Walmart oil being made by the same company as other brands....keep in mind, just because it comes from the same place doesn't mean it's the same oil. Different oils have different additive packages etc, think of it as a recipe. Just because four different brands of say canned corn are actually canned / made at the same plant - doesn't mean the recipe is the same.

Do what your conscience and your wallet can afford. I've personally torn down engines on high mileage cars / trucks that were maintained with oils ranging from the oil that happened to be on sale, to the oil the shop that changed the oil that time happened to have in stock - to the highest $ synthetic. We are talking the same engine family in this case.

Not any discernible difference was seen or even experienced when clearances and tolerances were checked.

Keep in mind these were all V8's with duties ranging from daily driver, to highway miles eaters - to work trucks. It involved 10-15 vehicles, as the person who owned them was parting them out and moving to a different facility and bought most of these vehicles just for the drivetrain components.

I'd say the average mileages was 150k give or take. I do know one of them was closing in on 300K miles. The vast majority of its miles were highway miles and the owner (and receipts backed it up) said he changed the oil @ every 10K miles and used the cheapest full synthetic the shop he happened to be using had at the time. That particular engine got a clean up, new gaskets, reworked heads and was transplanted into another vehicle.

The other factor is that oil manufacturers are seemingly constantly changing / adding to / taking away from their additive packages. A lot of those changes were pushed by EPA / MPG mandates...but that's a whole other discussion.

Carry on.

:headbang:
Sponsored