Sponsored

Paint chips, scratches, swirls oh my

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
I swear everytime I clean the car (clean, wash, clay, wax, etc) I get more and more depressed seeing the silver\grey metal under my bright triple yellow paint from all the rocks\chips.

At this point theres no reason to try to protect it anymore with a clear bra or such. I'm almost thinking of just getting a full wrap \ dip to prevent anymore imperfections to the paint. And then after 5 or 6 years ripping it all off and getting it repainted or something. Anyone go this route? Thoughts? Opinions? Does anyone know if the MMD mudflaps help at all with any of all the constant rock pinking on the rear end when driving?
Sponsored

Last edited:

1quickcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
1991 mustang coupe. Termi swap.
Same Problem with my 17 Ruby Red. Only 4k miles and at least 15 paint chips. Very dissapointed in my paint. Car is not a daily and never driven in the rain.

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Touch up paint truly helps. Found a touch up paint pen for $16 shipped with a perfect match. It won't stop the chips from happening but it will hide them darn well.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Dr. Colorchip is your friend.

OP
OP

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
Dr. Colorchip is your friend.
Getting the chips hidden with this product is one thing. I can do that, and get the swirls and what not buffed out. However, what is the best method forward for protecting it in the future from happening again?

Clear bra? Weekly waxing? lol

Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Paint on this cars is thin. Get as much PPF as you can afford and then max your credit cards.

I went with Xpel, best thing I've done

OP
OP

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
Paint on this cars is thin. Get as much PPF as you can afford and then max your credit cards.

Stuff looks nuts. Can perform your daily car wash and detail\wax routines right over top?

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Stuff looks nuts. Can perform your daily car wash and detail\wax routines right over top?
Yes the only thing you have to be a little careful on is using a pressure washer.

My car has the XPEL partial, and then the whole car coated in Cquartz. Here is a pic of the car from this morning. The car was covered in pollen, so i hose it off and drove to work. No drying. lol
5-18pic.jpg

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'm convinced that a ceramic coating does help some with daily marring. I notice very few scratches and no swirls in my paint since I always have a coating on it - it's currently at the 1 year mark on this current application.

I also wash with 2 buckets and all that good stuff to help prevent it.

As for chips, not much you can do other than Xpel/3M and fill in holes with touch up.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6

.... appreciate this post. 2021 GT PP1, with 3400 kms (2100 miles) on it, got it two weeks ago tomorrow. Did my third foam wash and noticed a stone chip on the hood, which was VERY obvious as the light colour primer stands in start contrast with the velocity blue. I took the car to a detailer that is know for PPF thinking just the hood and as we walked around the car and took a close look the amount of tiny chips all sparking white was SO disappointing, on every panel that is exposed (rear hips, hood, front fender, lower front fender). 2100 miles and so many small chips.

Right then and there booked an appointment to Xpel 75% of the car.
Sponsored