Sponsored

Trending on /r/cars: 2019 Shelby GT500 to receive Ford's new N/A 7.0L V8 w/ DI

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
...Ford is basing the replacement of the GT500 on the Cobrajet TT 5.0,

There is no CJ TT. There was an engineer who designed a one-off build that had zero intentions for production. Has more in common with aftermarket kits than anything from FoMoCo.
Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
The 6.7 is compacted graphite block with 6 head bolts per cylinder..

That would be way over built for an N/A 7.0 gas engine and it's probably not really designed to take the RPM. I doubt much if any of that engine is shared. Those 6.7s are designed to be used in F650/F750 trucks with GVWRs of 50k lbs.

If I had to guess, it's probably more based on the old 6.2 with more stroke, redesigned heads and DI/Port injection.

I don't see it making it into a mustang either way though.
The motor is slated for truck use as Ford's press release stated.
High RPM's are not needed.
6.7s are found in F-250 and up.......
This new motor is either a 6.2 or a 6.7 with gas heads and such.
Ford has never said it was for the Mustang.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic

It has already been stated that the new 7X is lighter than the V10 its replacing which weighs about 620lbs. The 6.7 diesel weighs 920lbs. Even without the turbos its still heavy. It will probably be an evolution of the 6.2L. My guess is it will be to the 6.2 what the coyote is to the 4.6 modular motor. Aluminum block and heads. Just curious if it will have 2 valve or 4 valve heads and weather it will be SOHC or DOHC. Maybe even a 3 valve head isn't out of the question.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
High RPM in comparison to the 6.7. That engine is designed to live at less than 2800 RPM, there is no way a gas engine is going to be limited even remotely close to that. I bet 5600-5800 RPM is redline.

I think that block is way overkill for the amount of tq/power that the 7L will put out. I don't see them using a diesel engine with some different heads on it, too many different factors involved.

And yeah I was agreeing with you on the previous post that it wouldn't find it's way into a Mustang.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It has already been stated that the new 7X is lighter than the V10 its replacing which weighs about 620lbs. The 6.7 diesel weighs 920lbs. Even without the turbos its still heavy. It will probably be an evolution of the 6.2L. My guess is it will be to the 6.2 what the coyote is to the 4.6 modular motor. Aluminum block and heads. Just curious if it will have 2 valve or 4 valve heads and weather it will be SOHC or DOHC. Maybe even a 3 valve head isn't out of the question.
Anything besides 4 valve and DOHC is out of the question. It's a new block and not the diesel one. You don't need iron block for an NA engine.

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Anything besides 4 valve and DOHC is out of the question. It's a new block and not the diesel one. You don't need iron block for an NA engine.
Glad I posted that idea.....
One must post the right statement to get the correct response.....LOL!:cheers:

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I'm just saying that Ford could have used most or some of the tooling and made a alloy gas version of the Scorpion.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
My guess is 6.2 block in aluminum with updates, bored using spray bore tech and stroked, and 4V heads to get full effect of variable valve timing with direct injection thrown in for good measure. Similar to the early iron 5.4 3V evolution to 5.8 4V in one jump. Anything less is a cop out. Probably weigh in at the very low 500# range. It would make a kick ass Raptor and give possibilities for a Boss 429 to boot. Basically a big block twin plug Coyote. I would buy that FORD!

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
My guess is 6.2 block in aluminum with updates, bored using spray bore tech and stroked, and 4V heads to get full effect of variable valve timing with direct injection thrown in for good measure. Similar to the early iron 5.4 3V evolution to 5.8 4V in one jump. Anything less is a cop out. Probably weigh in at the very low 500# range. It would make a kick ass Raptor and give possibilities for a Boss 429 to boot. Basically a big block twin plug Coyote. I would buy that FORD!
Could be......

tmhutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Cobra
Ford better do something because Chevy isn't taking the hybrid concept sitting down:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...ompression-twincharged-hybrid-powertrain.html

The new DOHC 6.2 has a patent for "twin charging" using an electrically driven supercharger for infinitely variable and customization boost from low to high RPM, and a turbocharger for high RPM horsepower. This is combined with a patent on a super high compression (11:1 - 16:1) that uses special cam and rocker profiles to bleed off dynamic compression as needed. All of this is augmented by electric motors.

Soooo, while I appreciate Fords little supercharged 5.2 with electric motor on the flywheel, I hope they have an answer for a twin charged, high compression, electric enhanced DOHC 427.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Ford better do something because Chevy isn't taking the hybrid concept sitting down:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...ompression-twincharged-hybrid-powertrain.html

The new DOHC 6.2 has a patent for "twin charging" using an electrically driven supercharger for infinitely variable and customization boost from low to high RPM, and a turbocharger for high RPM horsepower. This is combined with a patent on a super high compression (11:1 - 16:1) that uses special cam and rocker profiles to bleed off dynamic compression as needed. All of this is augmented by electric motors.

Soooo, while I appreciate Fords little supercharged 5.2 with electric motor on the flywheel, I hope they have an answer for a twin charged, high compression, electric enhanced DOHC 427.
I dont think that article specifically states its for a 6.2l. While its possible that this could be implemented on V8 engines, it would be more likely to show up on small displacement engines first, and probably not for a number of years.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Not sure if that was directed at me, but i never said the motor would be based off the diesel or that it would be iron. I actually said just the opposite. As for the heads, I would like to see a dohc 4v but unless you have inside knowledge I agree it's likely but I don't think it's a guarantee. A sohc head with 3v or 4v could flow good air and keep the dimensions more compact.

The 5.4 started life as a 2v. But I agree with everything you said the motor could possibly be. A 4v dohc head probably would not need dual spark plugs though.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Speaking of the 7.0L, isn't that rumored to go into the '19 Raptor as well? Again, RUMOR and if the 7.0 even exists.
Sponsored