MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Personally I like the Grand Cherokee... and you cant go wrong with a Jeep imho.
Yep, we're planning on a GC Overland/High Altitude, incredible amount of content for the money, serious tow capacity, stout 4x4 setup, all for about $50K with the V6 (though for fun I might spring for the 5.7L V8)

We were mulling over a 3rd row option, but in the mid sized SUVs it's people or luggage (unless you go to the roof), so it's not all that extra functional for a family of 3.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would look at a 2-4 year old Explorer rather than only new stuff. I would also try for the smallest possible footprint that will do what is needed. IMO Expedition is too huge - unless you have an enormous family or have to tow something big where you need an extra heavy vehicle.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Acura MDX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Acura MDX
FWIW, I looked into the MDX, it's pretty nice, once loaded up, decent AWD, the Sport Hybrid is super cool, goes from a 9-speed slushbox to a 7-speed DCT, power gets bumped up to ~321HP with very good MPG/range.

$50K-55K, 3rd row option, Honda service/reliability.

Moderate towing with the standard V6/AWD, strangely enough, the Sport Hybrid indicates that it should _not_ be used for towing.

Some bad package dependencies, like I want options A/B/C and it's only in $6K package Z, that also requires package X (and throws in a bunch of shit I wouldn't want).

A touch soccer-Mom-ish.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Vato

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
I like the recommendations being posted. I still feel that Expedition or 4runner may be the ticket. I'm renting an F150 for Xmas weekend. Maybe that'll change my mind. If I did go F150 maybe a 5.0 with supercharger or 2.7 ecoboost. We'll see if I can even dump my stang at a reasonable cost.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Explorer Platinum. Wife drives one and it's a really good vehicle. Super smooth.

If you're considering a Raptor...get the Raptor. I'm on record saying I'd sell my Mustang before giving up my truck. It's an amazing vehicle. Doubly so now that it's got a Whipple Stage 1 setup.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned just about all the large SUV's and the XL variants. As well as Durangos, Pathfinders, Cherokee's and others that I can't remember.

If you want a third row that usable for (small)adults on a trip of a hour of more than you really have 3 choices:
Tahoe
Yukon
Expedition

Any of the other sort of medium to large SUV's won't cut it. Can you fit a couple kids back there on the way back from soccer practice sure. Just better hope they don't have a ton of gear!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I've owned just about all the large SUV's and the XL variants. As well as Durangos, Pathfinders, Cherokee's and others that I can't remember.

If you want a third row that usable for (small)adults on a trip of a hour of more than you really have 3 choices:
Tahoe
Yukon
Expedition

Any of the other sort of medium to large SUV's won't cut it. Can you fit a couple kids back there on the way back from soccer practice sure. Just better hope they don't have a ton of gear!

This is helpful for me too, we _kind_ of knocked around the idea of a 3rd row vehicle, but I didn't want to get into something quite as big as the three you mentioned - sounds like other than those the 3rd row is really for kids, short distances and compromises hauling capacity.

:cheers:

PrimetimeKenny_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt- Mt82
Explorer Sport.... I absolutely love driving it on road trips or for groceries lol. The 4Runner has used the same drivetrain since 2003. You could purchase my one owner 2005 Sr5 4Runner with 127xxx for $6500 and keep the stang!!

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
1) 2018 Ford Expedition short version - this seriously checks off a lot of things
2) 4Runner - not sporty street driver but good for offroad fun
3) Land Rover Discovery - not sure I want to pay the maintenance
4) Durango RT - this also a strong contender
5) Raptor....LOL
Off your list here, I would go with number1.
But, if you're serious about another truck, Raptor would be number 1.

Have you thought about or looked at the Durango SRT? That would be fun. :D

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
This is helpful for me too, we _kind_ of knocked around the idea of a 3rd row vehicle, but I didn't want to get into something quite as big as the three you mentioned - sounds like other than those the 3rd row is really for kids, short distances and compromises hauling capacity.

:cheers:
That's exactly it.

My wife and I do 6-8 600 mile round trips up north in this rig with 6 adults min. Even with this beast we end up putting my wife and her sister in the third row because they are only 5'1".

As a matter of fact it's my wife's daily driver. She hasn't once complained its too big.

Well maybe once. :doh:
GMC.png
Sponsored