I really hate factory installed strut bolts

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
damn i did springs on my 16 , and 17 and they came right out without a prob.. i used a framing hammer... i did have to turn the wheel a few times so i could get the right swing but they popped right out
Sponsored

Bcart50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
silverado
I use an air hammer... Can have the front suspension blown apart in probably 15min.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
helps to jack up the strut slightly to get some of the load off so it doesnt bind on the strut bolts

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
helps to jack up the strut slightly to get some of the load off so it doesnt bind on the strut bolts
Also, thread the nut onto the strut bolt backwards so it gives a bigger area to hit with hammer and doesn’t mushroom the head. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Lexman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
I feel for you. Seems like those either come right off or you’re fighting them. I hammered away at mine and gave up. I lifted it up to try to take pressure off the strut in increments and no luck.

I had the nut on the end as advised. All I did was end up stretching the bolt threads on one!

I had to call it quits and I had a local guy help me out installing my suspension.

Good luck if you go at again. Maybe a bigger hammer? Also I heard giving the other side of the bolt a couple taps can also help break it free.

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
Air hammer is the trick here. After my experience on my 11 (bad) I got an air hammer. Took about 10 minutes to have the struts out of my 16 per side.

Mike K.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
You can turn the wheel also to get a better angle to get some solid blows on it

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
you can turn the wheel to get a better hitting angle on it too. I took mine out with a standard hammer

SYK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium PP Auto
I used 5lbs hammer. I fliped the nut so the flange was hammered at the flush lever with bolt. one strongest wack popped the bolt all the way out. I initially hammgered the bolt with a 1lb hammer for 10 minutes but got nothing done.

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I just used the flat of my palm...

18basedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sorry to revive an old thread but I found it from a google search. Oh man these splined bolts are not fun. Lot's of good info in this thread but even with all the info I've gathered and used from it including turning the wheel, putting the nuts on flush and backwards and using a 4lb hammer, these things are not wanting to come off. I only got a few good wacks in since it's late and I didn't wanna piss off my neighborhood too much but they didn't budge. Gonna have to give em another round tomorrow in the day.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to revive an old thread but I found it from a google search. Oh man these splined bolts are not fun. Lot's of good info in this thread but even with all the info I've gathered and used from it including turning the wheel, putting the nuts on flush and backwards and using a 4lb hammer, these things are not wanting to come off. I only got a few good wacks in since it's late and I didn't wanna piss off my neighborhood too much but they didn't budge. Gonna have to give em another round tomorrow in the day.
Did you try putting a little bit of upward force on them with a jack? Just enough to make it neutral.

You might need a BFH/real sledge.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm thinking that if you could preload these bolts with a large C-clamp (that you don't mind beating on the twist-handle end of) and a socket that clears the hex-head, this job might go a little easier. Or maybe fabricate a dedicated clamp of your own design for this very specific purpose.

Norm
Sponsored