Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
...I'm strongly considering trading it on a Mazda CX5 fully loaded.... 2K I just spent on an ESP too!
Yes, 187HP. Who needs over 400HP anyway. $2k on a ESP? Where did you find that "deal"?
Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Yes, 187HP. Who needs over 400HP anyway. $2k on a ESP? Where did you find that "deal"?
Well, I need a car to get through some pretty wicked winter driving, we get up to 400" a year where I have to drive through. With the window freezing and not letting it drop down the 1/4" to clear the gasket, I was effectively locked out of my mustang unless I jerked the window out of the gasket. Since I am on an ambulance crew, I jerked it, I had to get to work.

The esp's are graduated, it was not a bad deal. 125K miles and 8 years. I *WAS* planning on keeping it a long time.

Last edited:

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Can anyone advise if a faulty evap could cause the a/c gas to become 'contaminated' ?

Im 99% certain my core is toast (and its taken the compressor with it), but at the moment I cant make any progress at the dealership as they say their A/C machine will not hook up, it instantly rejects the car, stating ' contaminated gas ' .

Thanks

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I would have them define “contaminated”. I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think there is any part of an auto a/c system that sees an actual negative pressure or vacuum situation during operation. If that is the case, there is no way for the system to become contaminated by something external to the system until the pressure drops enough to pull contaminants in. Now, if the system was refilled with something unacceptable that’s another issue.

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
The A/C system uses R-134a refrigerant, not Freon which was a name for now illegal R12. As far as I know newer A/C recharge machines can tell if R-134a has been contaminated with other forms of refrigerant so as not to allow cross contamination when servicing multitudes of vehicles. If you've been recharging a leak with other than R-134, I can understand why the dealer won't continue. I don't think a failed compressor would cause the recharge unit to claim contaminated refrigerant. Maybe they use an older unit to collect contaminated refrigerant and start with a fresh install.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The A/C system uses R-134a refrigerant, not Freon which was a name for now illegal R12. As far as I know newer A/C recharge machines can tell if R-134a has been contaminated with other forms of refrigerant so as not to allow cross contamination when servicing multitudes of vehicles. If you've been recharging a leak with other than R-134, I can understand why the dealer won't continue. I don't think a failed compressor would cause the recharge unit to claim contaminated refrigerant. Maybe they use an older unit to collect contaminated refrigerant and start with a fresh install.
Freon is the "Velcro" of the refrigerant world. Most of us know the difference (and will continue to use Freon as a catch all term)...and the rest were probably not alive when R12 was phased out.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Dropped the car off at the dealer this morning. I got a "free upgrade" to a 2018 Silverado as a loaner because nothing else was available for another hour.

Good news is i got 22 mpg out of the Silverado as it was cruising to work in V4 mode most of the time. The bad news is that it's slow and huge. I will be taking it back this evening for another loaner.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Sooooo, I hear a hissing noise one night after a drive and using the A/C that time (first time in weeks that I used it). I took the intake out (I have a Rough Supercharger) and looked straight down where my APR splitter ended. Saw neon green fluid everywhere and decided to take a look the next day when the sun was out.

I got a black UV light and read up on the fluid. It is definitely not coolant (mines a dark purple). Read somewhere that the neon green is a dye that was put into the fluid. Shined the black light on the fluid and it fluorescent.

Pulled the front bumper off and cleaned up the mess. I think my condenser (looks like a radiator) is leaking but I can't be certain. I turned on the car and max AC = no cold air and just warm air after 10 minutes of idling. Is this one of those famous AC Evaporator issues or can I just change the condenser and accumulator to solve the issue? Also, anyone knows the right way to refill the AC system or can I just add Freon and be good? Any help will is appreciated :hail:

40768152985_c41bc35dc1_b.jpg

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Freon is the "Velcro" of the refrigerant world. Most of us know the difference (and will continue to use Freon as a catch all term)...and the rest were probably not alive when R12 was phased out.
You're right. 25 years was a while ago.

Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sooooo, I hear a hissing noise one night after a drive and using the A/C that time (first time in weeks that I used it). I took the intake out (I have a Rough Supercharger) and looked straight down where my APR splitter ended. Saw neon green fluid everywhere and decided to take a look the next day when the sun was out.

I got a black UV light and read up on the fluid. It is definitely not coolant (mines a dark purple). Read somewhere that the neon green is a dye that was put into the fluid. Shined the black light on the fluid and it fluorescent.

Pulled the front bumper off and cleaned up the mess. I think my condenser (looks like a radiator) is leaking but I can't be certain. I turned on the car and max AC = no cold air and just warm air after 10 minutes of idling. Is this one of those famous AC Evaporator issues or can I just change the condenser and accumulator to solve the issue? Also, anyone knows the right way to refill the AC system or can I just add Freon and be good? Any help will is appreciated :hail:

40768152985_c41bc35dc1_b.jpg
Not evap, but condenser. Maybe a stone got ya.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Not evap, but condenser. Maybe a stone got ya.
Well that is a relief, but I won't know what else is wrong until I pull it out and fix it. Hopefully, its just the condenser/accumulator area. I went ahead and ordered one from Ford and it is shipping out tomorrow. Will see what the real damage is and where its coming from once i pull it out.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shop at the dealer tells me it is JUST the compressor that failed at 23K miles. I have my doubts.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Shop at the dealer tells me it is JUST the compressor that failed at 23K miles. I have my doubts.
ehhh, hopefully its not your evap, then that's another one on the list. These are becoming more common from what I am reading online and googling everywhere.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Just got a call back from the dealer and they informed me that they are replacing the evaporator and it should be ready by Friday. Not really relieved as I know it's only a matter of time before the replacement fails.

Never had an issue with AC in my previous cars and both of them were 12 years old when I got rid of them. This is my first brand new car and it looks like it will be plagued with a problematic AC until I get rid of it.
Sponsored