Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Let me take it back. I DISAGREE about the spoiler/ wing difference. But I'm agree with you about the straight line race.

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
RHR Performance, LLC. They are making some aero bits.

Sponsored

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Honestly, screw the driver mod. If you want to do aero, do aero.

Driver mod can be MUCH more expensive and learning to drive a properly setup aero car is a bit different than driving it's looser counter-part.

Proper functional aero starts with a decent front splitter setup and rear wing. Both of which are commercially available for reasonable prices for the s550. From there, you can start looking at covering the entire underside of the car. After that (or anytime really), you can look into modifying the hood to give the air entering the engine bay a place to go, which is good for multiple reasons.

It's a pretty standard process for most cars.

OP
OP
Flyhalf

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Thank you! Are you aware on any flat floor to cover the underside?

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I like how everyone automatically recommends a driver mod. Wow. Guy asked specific questions about aero stuff and four out of the first five comments have zero to do with his question. Driver mod, driver mod, driver mod.

I just found the input interesting albeit unrelated to his very specific questions.

On topic, I have no clue what would work best for you.
That's because aero is WAY down the list on what you need to do for a road course car. So the question itself suggests a rookie driver.

And poorly though out/developed aero is worse than no aero.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
That's because aero is WAY down the list on what you need to do for a road course car. So the question itself suggests a rookie driver.

And poorly though out/developed aero is worse than no aero.

Why not get the best aero for your application and learn to drive a car in it's best form from the get go instead of learning on a sub-par car then having to learn again on the better equipped car?

Would the "rookie" driver not learn just as much on a properly set up car vs not? Heck, wouldn't said driver learn more because they are learning on the car they intend to push hard and likely to it's limits?

I am not talking a GT350 vs a F1 car. I am talking about just what the Op has in mind. The same car but set up with better aero.

Learn on the car you plan on driving set up how it's going to be used.

Practice like you play, play like you practice.

Sponsored

yiweno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2015
I would look into APR GT250 wing. They use them for Ford Racing FP350S race car, so it must be doing something right.

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
Hello guys.
Coming from a Challenger SP16 where aerodynamics wasn't the "big thing "to do,
I bought a GT 18 PP with supercharger.

I'm definitely ok with the power but the reason why I bought this car is cause I do track day (ONLY ROAD COURSE) often. THAT'S THE REASON WHY GOT MY MUSTANG! ( not the only one actually :) )

So here is the question.
What are the best after market "aero gadget to install in a GT18 PP (NO MAGNARIDE) ?
I MEAN WITH REAL DOWNFORCE FUNCTION.

IMO the focus should be on:
1.better front splitter
2.air dams under for better air flow ( away from the front tires and canalize air on the diffuser
3.side skirts.
4. flat floor
5. diffuser
6. rear WING or SPOILER

I have 3 months to improve m Knowledge of this car and where to buy after market things.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS and advice.

thanks
Fly

Ps. i'm italian ,sorry for my english :)
Before considering Aero modifications...what suspension modifications have you done to the car? These cars are notorious for wheel hop and having a floaty feeling on the road. In addition, the rubber bushings that come on these cars (even the performance pack GT's) have a lot of flexibility to them due to the use of rubber bushings.

My recommendation is work on the suspension before looking at aerodynamics.

PM me so we can discuss more details :D

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Why not get the best aero for your application and learn to drive a car in it's best form from the get go instead of learning on a sub-par car then having to learn again on the better equipped car?

Would the "rookie" driver not learn just as much on a properly set up car vs not? Heck, wouldn't said driver learn more because they are learning on the car they intend to push hard and likely to it's limits?

I am not talking a GT350 vs a F1 car. I am talking about just what the Op has in mind. The same car but set up with better aero.

Learn on the car you plan on driving set up how it's going to be used.

Practice like you play, play like you practice.
A rookie doesn't even know the right questions. much less be able to come up with the right answers to get the best aero.

There is no "1" best aero. The best aero is different by track, car, and driver. He has a 2018, so there has been almost no aero development yet to say what is the best aero.

Bolt the "best" rear wing on the car and you just made the car slower and handle worse because the car is now less balanced. More drag, big aero push when you just add rear downforce.

Essentially you need to drive the car to find out what aero issues you have (these will be different at Road America vs Lime Rock, so you need to consider your applications & venues carefully - something helped with experience). Then go about making intelligent and balanced improvements.

A belly pan, as has come up a couple times as something he wants to do, is about useless for a street based car. Especially one that already has marginal cooling for the track that a belly pan will almost surely make worse.

It's not Grand Tourismo, where you get Mod package A, B, & C as you can afford them, and they all work well together seemlessly. In the real world, mixing A, B, & C often is a waste of money that makes you car worse.

If you want to be faster around a road course, the following are the most cost effective ways to do it (in general):
Better driver (training, experience, technique)
Tires
Suspension
Brakes
Weight reduction
Power
Chassis
Aero

Look at the GT4/FP350 race cars for aero ideas, but remember, those are based on the non 2018, non standard Shelby bodywork.

OP
OP
Flyhalf

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys for all your input.
That is a very productive conversation.

I'd like to clarify few points.
I'm not installimg any aero the day after I buy the car.
As I'm not installing any suspension improvement the day after either.
I want FIRST to feel my new car. I never drove a mustang before. And I heard about the flotty feeling. Apparently the PP helps with a firmer chassis set up, and all the frames(K, strut, sway bars ect) .
Suspension will come after. (If needed..)
Aero will come last. The reason of the post was to find out what aero could make sense for a general better downforce set up.
The simple answer I got is. There are no real numbers that will justify an investment anytime soon. (Except for the front splitter ) .

The only upgrade I plan to do are bigger tires and bigger and lighter wheels. 305 all around (or 315 mm back) that I will dedicate to track days.
And last, i Will keep on eye on the braking power. I have great experience with carbotech pads. That is somemthing I could consider.

Once again thanks all for your input.
Sponsored