Too much movement side-side?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I notice at certain times when the road has undulations that the body of the car moves side to side a little too much for my liking. This is under normal driving when one side of the car moves up or down - it's just the chassis just rocks a little bit back/forth and gives a slight floaty feeling.

At the moment I am attributing this to my LCA bearings in the rear and that my sway bars are set on full soft. Would stiffening the sway bars level the car out some so it drives flatter? My theory is that the LCA bearing is making vehicle reactions quicker (because it does) and the sway bars aren't stiff enough to take out the body roll. Plus I feel like my shocks are at critical damping or slightly underdamped. But I feel like stiffening up the bars could help in this area by limiting body roll somewhat to counteract it.

Just a question for your suspension gurus. It isn't a big deal but just trying to see if I can improve this aspect.

Here are my mods:

Ford Racing shocks/struts, track springs, toe bearing, Strut Tower Brace
BMR sway bars, toe rods, CB005, vertical links
Steeda LCA bearing, bumpsteer kit, diff inserts, rear shock mounts
Maximum Motorsports CC plates
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Do you mean you're getting body roll, is the chassis shaking, or are you fishtailing?

What kind of road undulations are you talking about? High fequency short ripples, or like longer bigger bumps?

What speed?

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Do you mean you're getting body roll, is the chassis shaking, or are you fishtailing?

What kind of road undulations are you talking about? High fequency short ripples, or like longer bigger bumps?

What speed?
No the chassis is not shaking nor am I fishtailing. It's more like elevation changes on one side of the road. If the road is uneven and I'm getting excessive body roll. This is during normal driving 40-50mph. I wouldn't call it shake but more of a jiggle or settling of one side of the body than the other. The wheels and tires are planted on the road so I have good traction.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
how does it drive on a wet road?
Nothing abnormal about driving in the wet. It grips just fine or as well as one would expect.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like tramlining. Happens with stiff/non-isolating suspension and high performance summer tires.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
So let's say the left half of a straight road dips down but the right half is smooth, and your car is rolling left too quickly or is generally unsettled?

Maybe soften the anti-roll bars. They tie both sides together so if one side hits a bump the other side responds the same way. Over left/right uneven road, stiff swaybars cause worse handling. In that situation you want all four corners responding independently (I.e. less rollbar)

TunaFish15

2017 SRT Challenger owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6.4L Mustang Eater
Did this start after the steeda rear shock mounts were installed? Mine did give the car an uneasy wiggle, as oppose to the firmer feel of the stock rubber mounts.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Did this start after the steeda rear shock mounts were installed? Mine did give the car an uneasy wiggle, as oppose to the firmer feel of the stock rubber mounts.
Yes I noticed it after the Steeda rear shock mounts and Maximum Motorsports CC plates were put on. Good to know man.

I think what I am probably experiencing is normal. Uneasy wiggle of the body is a good way to describe it. It's not tramlining I'm pretty sure b/c I know what that feels like now.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I felt the opposite with the mounts. The car felt more placeable and solid while being more supple at the same time. It does sort of reduce the effective spring rate at the rear, as the rubber stock mount adds some from itself as well as the bind in the damper.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Interesting. I felt the opposite with the mounts. The car felt more placeable and solid while being more supple at the same time. It does sort of reduce the effective spring rate at the rear, as the rubber stock mount adds some from itself as well as the bind in the damper.
It could be just little characteristics of the car have changed. It doesn't feel like anything is wrong though.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Have that. Next
fit it correctly? with all the bits you have listed fitted then it should be verging on the too hard/crashy almost rather than floaty and soft. even with your sway bars on softest they're after market so considerably stiffer than factory anyway.

i'd place money on something not being fitted correctly
Sponsored