Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Jeeze, I was just able to open my trunk, as if the fob was in my pocket, when it was at least 60 feet away inside my work.

I'm assuming that means the car can be started and the doors can be opened.
Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Jeeze, I was just able to open my trunk, as if the fob was in my pocket, when it was at least 60 feet away inside my work.

I can stand a really good bit away on the 2nd floor of my building, across a waterway(about 3 cars wide) + about 6 car lengths and still start my car.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI

FishGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Premium - Guard Metallic
Yes, but...in order to actually start the car the fob has to be within about 3ft/1m of a sensor on the inside.

Now...that isn't to say that it can't be stolen....there is a widely accepted axiom in computer security: Once an attacker has physical access...all bets are off.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
To start the car the key fob needs to be inside the car, as for the remote start, you must have physical access to the key to do that, but that's same for any car, physical access to the key equals do whatever you want.

Sponsored

FishGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
I also recently (within the last 2-3 weeks) read a news report about thieves using a signal booster to relay the signal from a fob to another device that basically mimics the fob. They had video footage of two guys stealing a car from a home where the booster was able to get a weak signal from the fob that was inside the house.

The only way to combat that is to store the fob in something that blocks the signal....like your microwave for instance....just make sure you take it out before you warm up that Honey Bun.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I also recently (within the last 2-3 weeks) read a news report about thieves using a signal booster to relay the signal from a fob to another device that basically mimics the fob. They had video footage of two guys stealing a car from a home where the booster was able to get a weak signal from the fob that was inside the house.

The only way to combat that is to store the fob in something that blocks the signal....like your microwave for instance....just make sure you take it out before you warm up that Honey Bun.
You can also put your key in the pocket with an rfid blocking wallet. I can't start my Nissan if my fob is in the same pocket as my wallet.

FishGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
Bollocks....I stopped carrying a wallet after I got a phone case with a card holder...seems I'm much less likely to leave the house without my phone than without my wallet.:doh:

Guess I'll have to stick to the microwave....or perhaps a faraday cage...lol.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP

That is actually a possible hack, especially on older key fob transmitter technologies. When I was doing my M.S. we analyzed a few different techniques of hacking, and this is one of them, and it's really easy and cheap to do. I think the cheapest one only costs around 50-60 USD to buy the hardware. But just remember, as soon as these hacks starts to get publicity, the manufacturers starts designing new security measures, though it might take a while to trickle down to the consumer level, but they're constantly improving. On a side note, though this relay hack is easy to do, it still needs to be close enough to your original key, so as long as you don't put your keys near the window such that someone from the outside can relay the signal, you should be fine.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

These easy steal cars will be just seen as a stupid phase in motorcar history, like brown and orange stiped seats. Fashion over function sells new cars.
That's why they make an extra secret security package that is code named "MT-82" or "Manual Transmission."

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Watch out for British tea leaves then, we all learn on MTs :doh:
No worries 'ol bloke, I'm in the U.S of A. Hardly anyone drives manual here. :doh:

LowcountryMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
These easy steal cars will be just seen as a stupid phase in motorcar history, like brown and orange stiped seats. Fashion over function sells new cars.

Yes, but...in order to actually start the car the fob has to be within about 3ft/1m of a sensor on the inside.

Now...that isn't to say that it can't be stolen....there is a widely accepted axiom in computer security: Once an attacker has physical access...all bets are off.
[ame]

I think they may be referring to devices like the ones used by these guys that fool your car into thinking its your authorized key fob.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Key recognition dies after 10 feet, thats all that matters!!! After all Who’s going unlock their doors from 60 ft away i know i dont. A good car thief will get your car if they want it. Thats why we carry insurance!! There’s no perfect scenario here as far as security is concerned!
Sponsored