Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
After asking general tire questions in a previous thread have now done some research and come up with these three options from the Tire Rack site for four 235 50Z R18 all season tires to replace my originals on my 2016 Ecoboost Mustang that are worn out after 22K miles. Driven in the Florida heat and rain and in a "spirited" way. I am retired so not driven to work daily.

BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 a/s ($151 each)
45,000 warranty, 97W, beats others on dry and treadwear

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 ($152 each, plus $70 rebate)
50,000 warranty, 97W, beats others on snow and comfort

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ($180 each, plus $70 rebate)
45,000 warranty, 97V, beats others on nothing

"beats others" based on clear win via review ratings, other rated aspect of tires not included here because all 3 tires were about equal in those areas.

Any comments would be helpful

Thanks
Terry
Sponsored

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
After asking general tire questions in a previous thread have now done some research and come up with these three options from the Tire Rack site for four 235 50Z R18 all season tires to replace my originals on my 2016 Ecoboost Mustang that are worn out after 22K miles. Driven in the Florida heat and rain and in a "spirited" way. I am retired so not driven to work daily.

"beats others" based on clear win via review ratings, other rated aspect of tires not included here because all 3 tires were about equal in those areas.

Thanks
Terry
The only thing the Comp 2 were good at was wet traction. My cheapo Federal tires hook up better in the dry and are just as good in the rain(I live in Jacksonville). You can get a set of them for under $450 shipped on ebay. To be honest you dont need A/S tires in FL. Any good summer tire will work fine in the rain. It doesnt get cold enough here to warrant A/S unless you are planning to travel extensively to areas that actually get snow.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD

ALLL DAY ERRRRDAY!!!!!!!

gqllc007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
Since you are in Florida I would go with Michelin 4S for wet/dry performance

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Thanks
Terry

I have the BFG Comp 2's, they're excellent some of the best A/S tires you can get for aggressive driving.

The continentals are the best in the snow and for highway driving, but have a softer sidewall for more aggressive driving. (I'll get this for any DD I get next)

The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are the best and perform the highest in hard driving.
(I will get these next for my current car).

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, why the all-seasons (which are good at no-season), instead of a proper summer tire like MP4S which is amazing in wet conditions?

OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Northern Florida where the temps get below 45F every once in awhile in the winter.

Summer tires can only be rotated fronts with fronts and rears with rears.

Seems to me to be a little more expensive than all seasons.

TC

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

ALLL DAY ERRRRDAY!!!!!!!
+1

All 3 are good choices, but I agree with the cat.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Northern Florida where the temps get below 45F every once in awhile in the winter.
Perfect for summer tires

Summer tires can only be rotated fronts with fronts and rears with rears.
If they're square, you can rotate freely. No issues rotating front to back.

Seems to me to be a little more expensive than all seasons.

TC
Possible, but you'd get much grippier tire in both dry and wet.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Perfect for summer tires

If they're square, you can rotate freely. No issues rotating front to back.

Possible, but you'd get much grippier tire in both dry and wet.
That's not true. Wet grip is tire dependent. Some all seasons will provide better confidence in the rain and heavy downpour than summers.

Also, another good reason to go all-season is the tread-wear. All season tires will last a lot longer than summer tires. Probably twice as long.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
That's not true. Wet grip is tire dependent. Some all seasons will provide better confidence in the rain and heavy downpour than summers.

Also, another good reason to go all-season is the tread-wear. All season tires will last a lot longer than summer tires. Probably twice as long.
I'm recommending the MP4S, which is an amazing tire in warm/wet conditions.

2 years into all-seasons, sure they'll have some life left, but they'll be hard as rocks. Who wants a sports car with crappy hard all-seasons on it? Not me.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Completely agree with [MENTION=19933]NightmareMoon[/MENTION]

If you only very occasionally get to/below 45 F, there's no reason to have an AS tire. For a street tire with limited track intentions, the Firestone Indy 500 is hard to beat. No, not quite as grippy as a PS4S, but much cheaper and as good at pretty much everything you'd see. They're much grippier than an AS, good in the rain, wear well and are quiet.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I moved from the stock PZero's to Conti DWS's (PP config 255/275) and could not be happier - I think even dry they give better traction then the OEM tires and while I NEVER drive when there is snow on the ground I have gone out when it was brutal cold this winter and needed the non-Summer temp range.

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I agree with the above recommendations to look for summer tires instead of all-seasons, unless the sole purpose of your tire needs is to log mile after mile on them. The Firestone Indy500 is a fantastic budget option that also is comfortable and users have been reporting great tread life (30k+). Federal recently came out with a new tire, the Evoluzion ST1, which has been getting some great feedback as well. Not sure if they make them in your desired size, however. If you want to spend more money, nothing beats the Michelin Pilot 4S for a street tire.

If you're set on an all season, the BFG Comp2 A/S is an excellent choice and would be my pick of the three. I had them on a previous car and they were very good, excellent sidewall stiffness and feedback from an A/S. They don't hold a candle to a quality summer tire, but were great for what they were.

- Cory

OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Completely agree with [MENTION=19933]NightmareMoon[/MENTION]

If you only very occasionally get to/below 45 F, there's no reason to have an AS tire. For a street tire with limited track intentions, the Firestone Indy 500 is hard to beat. No, not quite as grippy as a PS4S, but much cheaper and as good at pretty much everything you'd see. They're much grippier than an AS, good in the rain, wear well and are quiet.
The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires do seem to get really good reviews and at $122 each (from tirerack) seem to be my current fav to get.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500&partnum=35WR8FHI5XL&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2016&autoModel=Mustang+Fastback&autoModClar=EcoBoost+I4

Still researching but thanks to all the replies getting closer to a decision, lol.

TC
Sponsored