Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I do. I hope Ford goes all out just as GM did with the ZL1 1LE. The more that don't want it for that reason the better. It's about time Ford let go of the Shelby jacket wearing crowd and geared the GT500 up for more serious duty.

But they won't. Grandpas everywhere will be puttering along in the local parade in one soon enough.

Sigh.
I don’t want to put words in his mouth but I don’t think hes saying he doesn’t want to see it but he doesn’t want to be the only option. The ZL1 1LE yes comes with the GT4 inspired stuff but also comes with full amenities. What would be wrong with a separate package with the race gear, Ac/radio/rear seats delete, DSSV shocks, etc, it’d be great for the “numbers” and guys like you who want it and we’ll use it. For guys like me who do 3 (each) track/strips days a year and mostly regular driving it’s overkill.
Sponsored

DanielIvan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT w/ 50th Anniversary Pack
Vehicle Showcase
Me and my friends were just talking about the GT500. Our friend is #3 on the order list for the GT500 (from Galpin) and our other friend is adding the 500 alongside his 350.

[ame]

I think overall, personally, I'm really excited about it. I'm interested to see how it performs against other top end muscle like the Demon and ZL1 1LE. I think what's personally killing me is the wait time. I feel like it's been over a year of teasing and I'm kind of over it. I'm ready to see it ... QUIT TORTURING ME FORD.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I don’t want to put words in his mouth but I don’t think hes saying he doesn’t want to see it but he doesn’t want to be the only option. The ZL1 1LE yes comes with the GT4 inspired stuff but also comes with full amenities. What would be wrong with a separate package with the race gear, Ac/radio/rear seats delete, DSSV shocks, etc, it’d be great for the “numbers” and guys like you who want it and we’ll use it. For guys like me who do 3 (each) track/strips days a year and mostly regular driving it’s overkill.
The more versions there are the higher the cost for everyone. I could live with one "Grandpa" version and one gonzo version that is all about performance. All this crap about "but my wife has to be comfortable in it" and "I want to drive my kids to school in it and then go to the supermarket" serves only to dilute the mission of a GT500 in the current market. The car is supposed to go against the grain and oppose conventional wisdom in the age of electrification and hybridization. A series of watered down versions only lessens the main objective - beastly acceleration in a car that handles like no GT500 before it. Lower the bar, ruin the car. My vote is to err more on the side of performance and less on the side of barcalounger.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just don't want it to be as unnecessarily stiff and unstreetable as the ZL1 1LE. I think Ford knows by now that you can make it super focused and grippy without making it unbearable anywhere outside the track. Honestly it doesn't need to be much different than the GT350R in this regard. I think it just needs additional cooling and suspension for tuning for the blower. It is unlikely to have a 'GT' spec for the bluehairs/recent retirees.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The ZL1 1LE damper choice approved by GM brass was a pretty gutsy call. You're right though as they are not the most street-friendly. I have little doubt that Ford engineers can equal or exceed their performance with better compromise, if needed.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
count me in for the bone jarring, go kart version.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
count me in for the bone jarring, go kart version.
You do know that stiffer isn't necessarily better, right? All else the same, you'll have less grip. Racecars primarily go very stiff for aero stability, and to a lesser extent, geometric stability. You want to set the car as soft as you can get away with.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
You do know that stiffer isn't necessarily better, right? All else the same, you'll have less grip. Racecars primarily go very stiff for aero stability, and to a lesser extent, geometric stability. You want to set the car as soft as you can get away with.
IF it is stiff and rough, even more so than the 350R in track mode (which is rough, but not as bad as a go kart) I'll be happy with it.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds quite familiar if I don't say so myself...

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Sounds quite familiar if I don't say so myself...
You know what..

I’m starting to think we’re going to see a CPC with a different firing order. This isn’t new for ford, it’s happened before.

The GT40s used a “FPC” firing order and it made them sound different.

I’m sure the 427 wasn’t a FPC, but with the opposing firing order one bank back and forth, and the bundle of snakes headers, they had unique sound too.

Curious.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd doubt that. But it does remind me of my corsa exhaust.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I am thinking that the sounds is most likely do to exhaust manifold design and firing order. Or just one or the other.
Sponsored