Official GT350 Track Attack Attendance Thread

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
I'm curious if any experienced track day gentlemen have attended this and how they liked it. After reading the agenda I was a little let down with the track sessions being so...controlled.

Living in Ohio this would not be a free event, flights, probably 1 night in a hotel if not 2, etc. I'm just wondering if I'd feel this is targeted more towards the novice or intermediate level driver? I could probably do 3 full track days for the cost of this event and trying to figure out what to do. I'm also slightly annoyed that the second day option is in a GT, not a gt350.

As you can tell, I'm slightly down on this looking for some perspective and opinions. Thanks everyone!

Ps, very impressed that Ford does this for new owners!
It is a wonderful experience for all that attend. That being said they try their best to make it that way for everyone and thus it is not exactly catered any one. They do offer classes up to the NASA license if you like. I went in May of 2017 and since then have about 30 hours of track time. I have another allocation this year for the class and will pass if that means anything. Like you mentioned there are many expenses. I feel I would be better off utilizing that money for personal instruction at my local track. That being said it is a wonderful experience and I do not regret the money at all.
Sponsored

scannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Skip
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2016 Miata (BBR turbo), '18 Subaru WRX
I attended the event 2 weeks ago. I have a bit over 7,500 track day miles over the last 20 years and I did learn a few new things and honed other skills. You will spend the morning doing small coned courses in parking lots learning/practicing things like increasing/decreasing radius turns, threshold braking, heel/toeing and the like.

The afternoon starts with a bus tour of the track stopping at each corner for a short spiel on the correct way to take the corner. Then comes a rotating lead/follow session, then half the class gets an instructor for half the session and the rest are on their own then a quick stop to swap the instructors into the other half of the class and the rest are on their own, then its pretty much open track. After that each of us got 2 laps with an instructor driving at 80%.

Its more a day of controlled learning than a normal track day.

The heat was brutal, 100F most of the day but they have chests of cold bottled water at all the areas you get to. I drank 10 bottles during the day and was feeling the effects of dehydration that evening and the next day. I drank a bottle of Pedialite to replace the electrolytes and that helped.

I thought it was well worth it but I didn't have to pay for a flight over and back as I drove my WRX, about 7 hours each way.

Wooly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Tech, Porsche 991GT3
I'm curious if any experienced track day gentlemen have attended this and how they liked it. After reading the agenda I was a little let down with the track sessions being so...controlled.

Living in Ohio this would not be a free event, flights, probably 1 night in a hotel if not 2, etc. I'm just wondering if I'd feel this is targeted more towards the novice or intermediate level driver? I could probably do 3 full track days for the cost of this event and trying to figure out what to do. I'm also slightly annoyed that the second day option is in a GT, not a gt350.

As you can tell, I'm slightly down on this looking for some perspective and opinions. Thanks everyone!

Ps, very impressed that Ford does this for new owners!
This is a great program but it is clearly meant for the beginner and maybe intermediate. Just the way it has to be. They are dealing with everybody and have to default to a lower level. As I said though it’s fun for a day but maybe you should think about it if you would rather spend the money on track days.

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Sorry if you wanted to hear from an experienced driver; I had only one day at Willow Springs before this. I had a blast, though I really want/need more instruction, and time to let it all sink in.

In my same classes though were some very experienced drivers, with lots of racing experience and their own racing suits, etc. Some people were repeaters. They run a race licensing school there too. It's definitely not geared towards novice drivers.

As for the 2nd day option, go for the Boss 302--you'll love that! It's very different from the GT350. (Especially for me, who's never before squeezed into a roll cage, worn a Hans device, or been strapped down behind window netting.) It's loud, and clunky, and noisy, and claustrophobic, and loud, and I want to do it again.

Learning a little of the track in a normal feeling, unflappable GT350 the first day, followed by a second day in a loud, bumpy, uncomfortable Boss 302 ... perfect!

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks for the help. I'll still keep it on the radar when they release the dates for 2019, but I'm leaning towards putting the 1k+ I'd spend for the free 1 day into a couple days here at Mid Ohio. Thanks!

Sponsored

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
This is a great program but it is clearly meant for the beginner and maybe intermediate. Just the way it has to be. They are dealing with everybody and have to default to a lower level. As I said though it’s fun for a day but maybe you should think about it if you would rather spend the money on track days.
If you are one of those "buy all the swag and get tattoos of your vehicle" types, or will never really track seriously, then the Ford Performance track attack is a good deal....All others, don't waste your time.

ttn27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350R
Just attended the session on July 26 with the 2nd day on July 27 in the Boss. I definitely recommend paying a little extra to do the Boss (and not the GT) if you are going to do the 2nd day option. It is well worth it. I am thinking of coming back to do the 4 day racing school for the racing license.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Attended aug 1 one day session. For a total track novice like me it was s great experience, learned alot of basics and got to really push the capabilities of these cars. Then to see what a pro can do at the end - wow! In the open laps, I got passed twice by the same guy with alot of track experience - someone drove their R covered with racing decals from Minnesota to the course - maybe it was him.

Anywho, highly recommended, plus this is my first time in Utah and lots to do, did a mountain bike ride in Park City yesterday now heading south to canyon land for 2 more days. Also got the video package but no computer to see how it turned out. Oh and the graduation "trophy" is pretty cool, and nice that it matches my lightning blue gt350.

Wilson44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Avalanche Gray
Anyone headed to Track Attack tomorrow? I'm flying out there tomorrow, can't wait!!!

Sponsored

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Anyone headed to Track Attack tomorrow? I'm flying out there tomorrow, can't wait!!!
Have fun. If you can spring for the video package, do it. A little pricey but your car has 2 cameras in it and records your entire day on a thumb drive that you can move to other cars so you can also record the instructor ride at the end. Displays the track graphic, speed, etc.

Wilson44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Avalanche Gray
Have fun. If you can spring for the video package, do it. A little pricey but your car has 2 cameras in it and records your entire day on a thumb drive that you can move to other cars so you can also record the instructor ride at the end. Displays the track graphic, speed, etc.
Yup, already planning on adding the video package. Thanks for the tip!

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
For the free track day, does it have to be done within one year of purchase (is it enforced or do they let 'slide' ;))

Ronp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500, Iconic, '19 F150 ScrewFX4