Sponsored

Dremel interior plastic parts question

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I'm hell bent on doing a cover window delete on my digital instrument cluster. The plastic window is bonded to a trim piece that clips around the LCD panel.

The only way I can see getting it off would be a Dremel tool. I'm a little hesitant since the piece can't be purchased on it's own. So if I screw it up I'm screwed.

To those experienced with working on interior parts with a Dremel how hard would this be? The plastic windows is a harder material than the plastic is is bonded to.
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful with the dremel on plastic. the little fiber cutoff wheels tend to melt the plastic as you cut.

Perhaps you can use one of the thin metal cutting wheels and work in alternating sections to prevent heat buildup.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Thanks, it has been years since I've used a Dremel. I'll use a metal wheel.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
It looks similar to a headlight assembly. I've seen mention of people opening those by baking them.

The idea of cutting and baking are making me a little nervous, lol. I definitely don't want to heat it up though. I think the headlamps are probably more thermally resistant.

Last edited:

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
OP, what's the purpose of doing this (the only reason I can think of is that you want to reduce glare -- if I understand what you're talking about)? I would leave that cover alone. You don't want to mess it up if you can't buy that piece separately.

Sponsored

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I already have it off and am very happy with the results. The glare has been eliminated!!!!

Unfortunately, I did mess up the piece but there was no way I was going to put it back on after seeing the difference.

I'll take some time to see if I can find a solution for the gap but it's not bothering me much at the moment.

It's such a bad design I hope Ford will come out with a revised version at some point.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
OP, what's the purpose of doing this (the only reason I can think of is that you want to reduce glare -- if I understand what you're talking about)? I would leave that cover alone. You don't want to mess it up if you can't buy that piece separately.
I was mistaken it can't be purchased on its own. It's called a mask and sells for $18.

Anyway, I ordered a new one and easily removed the clear window from it. Only tool needed was a hammer and my hands.

I'll do a write up with some photos.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I know this thread is old, but I like the DIY section and I know subsequent searches will being this thread up. As someone else said, cutting/grinding plastic usually melts it. I've cut a lot of lexan and I always use a rough cut blade (Circular saw) but if I was working with a dremel, I would work fast, and use a metal blade (Looks like a little saw blade). I wouldn't make the speed too high because you will melt the plastic. Likewise if you move too slow, you will also melt it.

It's a bit of a pain if you want it to turn out perfect without any chips on the edges. I've found to cut slightly longer than needed, then come back and hand sand with a sanding sponge. As long as you don't go nuts sanding (e.g. go back and forth at a normal speed), it won't heat up enough to melt the plastic.

Otherwise, and I haven't tried this, but you might be able to use a hot-wire knife like they do to slice through Styrofoam.
Sponsored