Sponsored

Tob/ Pilot bearing being replaced MT82

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Dealer will be replacing my throw out bearing and pilot bearing due to excessive noise and vibration. I still feel it is my input shaft bearing due to the nature of the sound and when it happens. He said he will inspect my clutch and flywheel for abnormal wear but did not say if they would replace that as well.

I would really prefer a new unit go in to complete the package and eliminate all the clutch items being culprit. Also because it's all opened up. If they decide to replace and it's covered by them ill just go oem for that year, but if they say I would be responsible I would like to throw in an 18' swap unit if its a drop in no problem scenario. Like the fact it's oem, twin disc, dual mass fly. That would retain warranty hopefully being dealer installed.

Just feel weird putting back in the old clutch. Kinda like taking a shower and putting back on your worn boxers.
Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
twin disk clutch is a good idea but duel mass fw,s suck. there only good for being heavy, less vibration.. if your going to do any power adds later youll be replacing that fw.ive had a few cars with dmf and soon as you add say a 40-50hp gain to the wheels.youll notice some slippage in the upper gears mainly 4th,5th..not right away but in time it will go out.
if your staying stock then youll be fine .. if it was me . and they said they wont cover a new clutch id get a good aftermarket one hand them it and say put that in while you have it apart

OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Can I do the 18' twin disc swap without the dual mass fly? Just get a new oem 15-17' flywheel?

I thought about going the rst direction but don't think I can get it here in time. Plus I'm sure since it's not oem the warranty goes on anything related.

OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Dealer called said the throw out bearing had some play. Replacing that and the pilot bearing. Also said the clutch has about 50% left on it ( 19,500 miles ) and it has some hot spots. He recommended replacing it and resurfacing flywheel. I asked about doing the 18' twin disc swap and he said it could cause more problems.

I told him lets go with a new flywheel just to eliminate any potential problems. Total cost to have all this done and installed was $523. The pilot and tob was covered. Figured everything new for piece of mind. Hopefully this solves the problem. If not it's time to open the tranny.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
how much is clutch? Probably better to have them install a new one if the current one is 50%

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
He said the clutch was $315 and new flywheel was $148. Levittownfordparts had it cheaper but guess they gotta make a few bucks since labor is free. All in all to have the pilot,tob,clutch and fly new installed for $523 plus they gave me a loaner vehicle was worth it to me. Really hope this solves the issue.

Maybe clutch was $350... tax everything was $523.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
If it's the input shaft bearing any harsh noise will go away when you have the clutch pedal on the floor when stopped. Stepping on the pedal stops the input shaft from turning unless the car is moving.

OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
If it's the input shaft bearing any harsh noise will go away when you have the clutch pedal on the floor when stopped. Stepping on the pedal stops the input shaft from turning unless the car is moving.
I tried to tell them that but they insisted it was tob/pilot bearing. Oh well they will just have to open it back up if it doesn't solve the problem. He sounded like it was a very invasive procedure because the input shaft bearing required alot more work to get to. Ford prob said go cheap route first.

OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Update.. got a call yesterday from the service manager and they are now going to be replacing the transmission. He said they didn't like the backlash in the synchros or something. Kinda odd as it shifted ok besides being notchy. So new tranny, pilot bearing, tob, flywheel and clutch. He said I am going to like how it drives.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds to me like bullshit. They know it was the input shaft bearing and no tech in house is qualified to do the work or too busy to let him do it. Just hope your new tranny shifts as good as your old one. I really have a problem with dealers. I need to take my '05 in for airbag recall and when I do, I'll pull in and remove the airbag/horn switch myself and hand it to them.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I kinda felt something was up as well. Ford is aware of my complaint that started this ball rolling so I hope they aren't pulling any shady shit. My mind goes even farther thinking they damaged the car and need more time to fix it. But thats just me. If it is remotely worse than when I brought it in ill contact Ford.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You might get lucky because these transmissions are hit or miss. Mine has been flawless since day one.

OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Well stopped by the dealership. Normally friendly but this time all business which put me off. They said its done but they are keeping it overnight to bleed the clutch. I thought dealerships had a vacuum for that. I asked if the car was here and he said yea it should be. No call from the service manager who s normally very prompt about keeping me in the loop.

Just a weird vibe overall. Looks like I will be spending some time overlooking the car when I get it tomorrow.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn, that was quick for them to get a transmission and install it. In the past people were waiting weeks for replacements. I hope everything works out ok for you.

OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
First stop is taking it home putting it on stands and seeing if in fact the tranny was replaced. Service manager did call this afternoon and said he wants to do a cold start amd test drive to make sure it drives ok. Contradicting to what the service writer said about needing to bleed the clutch. Idk what to believe. What a cluster f.
Sponsored