Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT 6 Speed - Grinding while Shifting

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
Needless to say, the car is going back to the dealer.

Basically, when I'm trying to shift at higher RPMs (5K and up), the clutch disengages fine, but when I try and re-engage the clutch, I always hear this grinding noise. If I leave off the clutch slower, it mitigates the sound somewhat. This happens at any of gear which makes me think it's most likely not the tranny.

Disappointing, my car has less than 100 miles on it. I was wondering if anyone here has experienced any grinding while shifting on their new/newer Mustang GT.

I know the 2018 has a twin disk clutch so I figured it would easily handle stock power.

[Update 1 - 2/14/2018]

Here is the video:

[ame]

[Update 2 - 2/16/2018]

Finally got in hold of the sales manager who will be speaking with the service manager tomorrow. Based on my experience so far, I'm not optimistic anything good will come from this. So I scheduled an inspection next week at another dealership.

[Update 3 - 2/17/2018]

After getting the service and sales managers involved, I will be taking the car into the dealership (from where I bought the car) today. Hopefully this time, they won't tell me the noise is normal.

[Update 4 - 2/20/2018]

Dealership is getting Ford Engineers involved to see if they know about this problem. Due to weather they haven't been able to drive it. Other than that, there are no real updates from the dealership. I could see this taking a while.

[Update 5 - 2/26/2018]

I have heard 0 updates coming from the dealership since 2/17. I had to call them on 2/20 to get any details. I will be calling them today and provide an update.

[Update 6 - 3/02/2018]

So I got a response from the stealership. Apparently it took them a week to contact the Ford Engineers and guess what... They say the sound is normal.
First, the guy basically told me I didn't know how to shift. I was taken back but surprisingly I decided to let him finish before interrupting. Then he told me that the syncros needed about 1000 miles to break in. The noise would eventually go away.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Got a video of the sound?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Drive a lot of manual transmission cars before? Where's the sound coming from?

I don't think it's anything to do with the transmission.

OP
OP

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drive a lot of manual transmission cars before? Where's the sound coming from?

I don't think it's anything to do with the transmission.
I have an EVO RS with a Exedy TD Clutch which is one of the touchiest clutches I've ever used and I never had a problem with that.

Even if I was shifting poorly, you would feel the notchiness/jerkiness. You shouldn't hear grinding sounds. Also the sound comes in at high RPMs regardless if you punch the gas or ease into 5K

Sound definitely coming from the drivers side.

OP
OP

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got a video of the sound?
Sorry I don't. Car is already back at the dealer. I just wanted to know if you have heard of similar issues with the 2018 Mustang GT.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Can't say I've heard of anything like that.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Yup I have that issue. Usually happens on aggressive shifts, if I shift normal then its fine. I haven't brought it back to the dealer yet. BUt let me know what they say.

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
10 speed auto = no grinding noises....runs out of room duckingand covering back of my head

OP
OP

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup I have that issue. Usually happens on aggressive shifts, if I shift normal then its fine. I haven't brought it back to the dealer yet. BUt let me know what they say.
Will do.

10 speed auto = no grinding noises....runs out of room duckingand covering back of my head
*Chases you mercilessly and beats you down* :lol:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a car and it's a mustang
How should one be shifting? Letting go of the clutch slowly while easing in on gas or let go of the clutch fast and press on gas as soon as clutch is at the resting position?

Sponsored
OP
OP

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These service techs are now telling me the noises are normal. Their reason: Another Mustang GT on the lot makes the same sounds.

I'll record the sound either this afternoon or tomorrow morning and upload it.

2017GrabberBlueSC

Christian
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP in Grabber Blue w/Roush phase 2
BG PRODUCTS COMBO KIT 2015 AND UP MUSTANG - Transmission and Rear Axle Fluid solved the issue with grinding and mis-shifts in my 2017 GY PP with a Roush phase 2. I installed the trans and rear end fluids last week and took less than an hour. Worked better than the Steeda bushings I installed and the Ford Performance short throw shifter combined!!!

https://www.opmustang.com/store/p7/...STANG_-_Transmission_and_Rear_Axle_Fluid.html

OP
OP

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BG PRODUCTS COMBO KIT 2015 AND UP MUSTANG - Transmission and Rear Axle Fluid solved the issue with grinding and mis-shifts in my 2017 GY PP with a Roush phase 2. I installed the trans and rear end fluids last week and took less than an hour. Worked better than the Steeda bushings I installed and the Ford Performance short throw shifter combined!!!

https://www.opmustang.com/store/p7/...STANG_-_Transmission_and_Rear_Axle_Fluid.html
The transmission fluid better still be good after 100 miles. :paddle:

Wrext

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
Ruh roh. And I was all excited about a 2018 solving the transmission(clutch) issues in earlier models.