Sponsored

What problems does the GT350 REALLY have...

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
Alright guys, so here’s where I’m at:

I’m getting to the point where I’m heavily considering trading for a GT350. I’ve done my fair share of research on the car itself, but also have come across owners talking about several issues. Whether they be wide spread, or one offs, I’ve read about oil consumption, oil pressure, limp mode (doesn’t really apply to me because I’d be looking for a Track Pack), and some issues so severe that the engine needs replacing.

Some have diffused these as myths, others say only cars built between certain dates are affected, others say they have been plagued to the point where it’s resulted in a buy back.

I want a GT350. No doubt about it. What I don’t want, is to trade in what I believe is a perfectly good GT that I’ve had zero issues with so far (knock on wood), for a GT350 that will be in and out of the shop more often than I get to drive it. I had a Boss 302 that had severe oil consumption, and that’s one main reason I sold it.

So my question is, to all owners, are these issues being blown out of proportion? Is it truly a high risk if I decide to trade up?

I wish I wasn’t even having to ask this...I have my eye on one that’s local. If the problems weren’t a concern, I’d probably be looking to buy tomorrow:

https://www.llautolink.com/vehicle-details/used-2016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-plano-tx-id-20901076
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Short answer - yes, it’s been blown out of portion Imho.

Long-er answer - depends on the car. A few folks have had really unfortunate experiences that seem to never end. But every owner I've met so far (20+ outside of my class at FPRS), have had 0 problems.

Buy the car and enjoy it. The GT350 is a truly special car.

Last edited:

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Haven't heard anything about oil pressures, unless you're talking about oil pump gears failing. Not sure how many are affected, but as long as you aren't redlining a cold engine, you should be ok. My car does consume about 1qt/1000mi, but it doesn't bug me.

If the car checks out, make the leap!

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
See if you can get the warranty history of the car you’re looking at from Ford.

5800 miles on mine, zero issues.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Nice! 2016 Track Pack in CO. 1 of 86. Make sure you ask/get everything else that goes with it: Owners package and Oil Filter package.

Based on my personal experience, it is a low risk choice. Is there a possibility that you will have issues? Always, with any vehicle. Is it worth the risk? Yes.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think if you get a car with the coolers you will be in good shape. I'm not sure why some cars have oil consumption issues. Mine doesn't use any. Well, I should be clear and say when the oil is changed and filled, the oil level goes down to about half way between the marks on the dipstick. Then after that it doesn't use any more oil. I think my engine likes that oil level for whatever reason. I don't pretend to know exactly why.

I'm not sure about the oil consumption issues either. Possibly some people's engine have the same characteristic as mine, but they check the oil level all the time and top it off. I think if I constantly filled mine to the upper line on the dip stick I could get it to use a fair amount of oil between changes.

Or maybe my break in with lots of heavy throttle application and lots of closed throttle engine braking helped seat the rings better than what some other people did with their cars.

The other reason I would speculate for oil burning is cruising at high RPM. I think some people drive around at 5,000 RPM cruising around on the highway just because they like to do that. I operate my engine between 2,500 and 4,000 during cruise and save the high RPM for acceleration runs and the track. I would assume it's more likely for some oil to get past the rings if you operate the engine at high RPM with very little load on it.

There have been some defects in Voodoo engines, but as far as I can tell it's not an issue with the basic design and construction. By far most engines are working great, I would think. Of course, none of us have the stats on that. I did see that the cost for extended warranties went way up. I would associate that with a higher than typical rate of failure. What the reasons for that are, I don't know.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Car model-specific forums tend to amplify issues way out of proportion to their actual occurrence. Not many people start a thread - I have 20,000 miles on my Shelby GT350 and not a single problem to complain about!

Reactions: dps

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Blown out of proportion.

Oil consumption issue: Well, people didn't break their cars in like it's the 21'st century. Instead they broke it in like it's made out of glass and is the '70's. I took my car to autocross with 200 miles on it. I consume maybe a quart an oil change. MAYBE.

Noisy brakes: Brand new brakes...did ya bed them in? Yeah, I didn't think so either. Pad material is a bit aggressive though too so you're gonna get some noise.

Blown engines: There's people who claim their baby'ed engine went out on them. Then there's FI guys pushing over 1000 RWHP without sneezing. Take it for what you will.

Coolers: You're getting a TP car so no worries.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Blown out of proportion only Issue I have is the AC is dodgy sometimes. I use some oil but I spend a lot of time on the track.

My breaks never squeaked till the end of the rotor life.

The bumper sag annoys me though

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Out of proportion. I have had zero issues with my GT350. Oil consumption is fine, its running great, and I'm loving it.

Every time I take her out I see people turning their heads looking to see what is making that wonderful noise....

Sponsored

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I have a little over 7,000 miles on mine. I had to ad 1 quart after about 1,500 miles but haven't had to add any oil since. No issues and this car puts a smile on my face every time I look at it.

Reactions: dps

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
It's out of proportion until your car has the problem.

It's easy to look at some people on this forum making a hundred thread post because their car burns 50ml more oil than expected over 500 miles. Makes you think it's all out of proportion, but there are some worst case stories here that should scare anyone. This site doesn't have the sample size to to make a proper analysis, but you have some datapoints suggesting it's blown out of proportion.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
This misinformation goes on with a lot of cars and here's what you have to consider- If someone has a problem, they are going to post it on the public forums for various reasons (for help, to see if anyone else has the problem, for advice, sympathy, etc.) so you see the individual problems of the few throughout the country.

What don't you see? The 10,000+ owners posting about how they don't have a problem. :)

It's good that you are doing your research. I think the odds are slim that you will have a problem and the enjoyment of this car is worth the slight risk IMO.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Alright guys, so here’s where I’m at:

I’m getting to the point where I’m heavily considering trading for a GT350. I’ve done my fair share of research on the car itself, but also have come across owners talking about several issues. Whether they be wide spread, or one offs, I’ve read about oil consumption, oil pressure, limp mode (doesn’t really apply to me because I’d be looking for a Track Pack), and some issues so severe that the engine needs replacing.

Some have diffused these as myths, others say only cars built between certain dates are affected, others say they have been plagued to the point where it’s resulted in a buy back.

I want a GT350. No doubt about it. What I don’t want, is to trade in what I believe is a perfectly good GT that I’ve had zero issues with so far (knock on wood), for a GT350 that will be in and out of the shop more often than I get to drive it. I had a Boss 302 that had severe oil consumption, and that’s one main reason I sold it.

So my question is, to all owners, are these issues being blown out of proportion? Is it truly a high risk if I decide to trade up?

I wish I wasn’t even having to ask this...I have my eye on one that’s local. If the problems weren’t a concern, I’d probably be looking to buy tomorrow:

https://www.llautolink.com/vehicle-details/used-2016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-plano-tx-id-20901076
There are legit issues, then there are overblown issues. Oil consumption - some guys have legit oil consumption issues, others (like me) have them based on their driving habits, others have imaginary ones because, despite what the manual says, they refuse to believe that checking the oil differently than mfgr spec may yield inaccurate readings and/or they don't pay attention to the "do not fill" instructions.

Some guys recently have reported wheel hubs going bad on relatively low mileage cars.

Overall - if this is a 2nd or 3rd car for you - I'd say no brainer to trade the GT for the GT350 - but if this is your only car... personally I'd be hesitant. But not necessarily because of the fear of downtime... moreso the consumption cost difference between your GT and the GT350..

It will go through more expensive brakes and tires faster. It's a 10 quart oil change with more expensive oil etc etc.
Sponsored