Sponsored

Guess what? Motortrend favors the Camaro again

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...-ford-mustang-gt-performance-pack-comparison/

Could be old news but it really sounds like Motor trend does everything but cup Chevys balls while writing up their articles.

"Then came the track. We took the two American icons out to Streets of Willow. Here’s the good news for Ford fans. The fastback GT laid down a 1:23.97 lap. That’s 0.24 second off the aforementioned M4 (1:23.73), just quicker than a Lexus RC F (1:24.08), and nearly three tenths of a second better than a 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack (1:24.29). The bad news? The Camaro SS 1LE laid down a 1:20.67 lap, 3.3 seconds quicker. In other words, these two cars wouldn’t be allowed to race together. Different class doesn’t cover it. The list of cars the Camaro went faster than should embarrass some OEMs: Porsche Cayman GT4, 2014 Audi R8 V10 Plus, Ferrari 458 Italia. I mean, come on!"

"the 2018 Mustang got its butt handed to it. For less money, Chevy stone-cold out-engineered Ford. And this is what that galls me. Not only should Ford have done a better job, but I also know they can do a better job. The Shelby GT350R—a car that’s every inch as awesome and breathtaking as a Porsche GT3—proves Ford has the knowledge to build a better car. Now it remains to be seen how much the forthcoming Performance Pack 2 closes the handling gap with that GT350 R and this Camaro SS 1LE."

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Well it's their fuckup for not waiting for the actual 1LE competitor. If they don't redo it with the PP2 we'll know how worthless MT is for actual information.

GT6555

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2, Lightning Blue
Did it even have PP1?

Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
OP
OP

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Well it's their fuckup for not waiting for the actual 1LE competitor. If they don't redo it with the PP2 we'll know how worthless MT is for actual information.
1LE is already cheaper than the PP1 though. Throwing money at a car will most likely improve any performance but people who track their car off-road have a flexible budget to begin with. 2018 is a short production period so we will see what the fall has to offer.

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
Well they do admit that it was not the dream matchup with the PP2, because Ford could not supply one at the time of the test. They said they will do the comparison again "soon" when the PP2 becomes available to the media.

You really can't blame MT. They were told 6 months before the PP2 will be available for magazine tests, so they went with what they had. It was either that, or no comparison at all, since Chevy supplied a 1SS 1LE.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I honestly couldn't care less. The 1LE is a great performing package, and we've known that for a while now. The problem is that the rest of the car is garbage. The interior design sucks and the visibility is worse. Who thought it was a good idea to have the AC vents blasting on your right hand?!? Not that I care about trunk space and all that, but have you seen the pathetic trunk opening on the Camaro? You'd be hard pressed to put a laptop through the opening. It's honestly laughable. There's a reason why the Mustang is killing the Camaro in the sales department, despite being the lesser performing car--it's simply a better car in virtually every other aspect. Stuff like trunk access and visibility matters to a LOT of people.

I also prefer the way the Mustang drives. While I can't speak for the 18 (I have a 15), the gearing in the cars is night and day. The LT1 is a great engine and has a ton of torque, but that makes it boring to drive on the street, IMO. You can honestly drive the car in 3rd gear and never have to shift. I prefer to rev up through the gears and rev-match down shifts and all that. To me, it makes the car more fun and engaging to drive. Other people are after pure numbers, and that's okay too. They can buy the 1LE.

Having a slower car from the factory just means you get to have more fun modding the car anyway! :headbang:

Bigred911s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Big Red
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
MT is fc'd up. They are comparing apples to oranges.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I like how they said the PP2 isn't out until May yet people have seen them at dealerships and one guy here has one.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
1LE is already cheaper than the PP1 though. Throwing money at a car will most likely improve any performance but people who track their car off-road have a flexible budget to begin with. 2018 is a short production period so we will see what the fall has to offer.
I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. If I go to the Ford/Chevy build and price, a 1SS 1LE is $44,995 and a Mustang GT with PP1 + magnaride is $43,685. Not a huge difference but the Mustang is cheaper.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
I like how they said the PP2 isn't out until May yet people have seen them at dealerships and one guy here has one.
Ford had the option to send one, but they didn’t as it wasn’t out yet. And from the release, we all expected spring time when they were to be at dealers. We are all surprised that they are out now as no one expected it. But Ford could of easily sent one, but why they didn’t is a answer they only know.:shrug:

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. If I go to the Ford/Chevy build and price, a 1SS 1LE is $44,995 and a Mustang GT with PP1 + magnaride is $43,685. Not a huge difference but the Mustang is cheaper.
He may have ment option to option. There are things that are in the 1le package that are not in the PP1 option, but are add-on’s.:cheers:

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I think hes referring to the 1LE having better rebates/discounts right now. I can get an '18 1LE for 41-42K.
Sponsored