Sponsored

Small puddle of oil under drivers side after oil change....

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
So after all of my anxiety about having the dealer do an oil change...I had it done and I watched the process and saw the filter was torqued properly...I checked for leaks because I was in the garage. Sure enough, there always a puddle of oil just to the inside front of the drivers side tire. When he took off the filter, he had his make shift funnel on the opposite side of the stream of oil that came out when he first pulled off the filter. We cleaned the back towards the drain plug....but I wonder if the initial flow could have pooled up and since the car has sat since Thursday...maybe it found the lowest point. It looked like it was coming out belly pan for sure. I don’t think it’s the oil cooler because it was not affected by the recall. What are the odds it’s residual mess from the oil change?
Sponsored

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
So after all of my anxiety about having the dealer do an oil change...I had it done and I watched the process and saw the filter was torqued properly...I checked for leaks because I was in the garage. Sure enough, there always a puddle of oil just to the inside front of the drivers side tire. When he took off the filter, he had his make shift funnel on the opposite side of the stream of oil that came out when he first pulled off the filter. We cleaned the back towards the drain plug....but I wonder if the initial flow could have pooled up and since the car has sat since Thursday...maybe it found the lowest point. It looked like it was coming out belly pan for sure. I don’t think it’s the oil cooler because it was not affected by the recall. What are the odds it’s residual mess from the oil change?
Go under your car and open the filter hatch. Make sure there are no leaks from the filter base. If no leaks are seen its prolly spilled oil as you said but I would verify it. If you dont could be a costly error. If you dont have the stuff at your disposal to do this take a quick trip to the dealer and make them inspect it. Shouldn't take them long at all.

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I cleaned it up....there was a small puddle... like the size of a hand. I stuck shop rags I. There and there was oil...not a lot. It seems that it ran out from the area I posted the pic of. I had the oil changed and drove it straight home...8 miles or so. There was no leaks prior to the charne because I would have seen it as the car was stored in the bubble.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Not to beat the horse. Paul the Mustang tech at Haggerty has the procedure down pat. No oil left in the belly pan when he does it.

Sponsored

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
This also happened to me after dealer had done oil change, fortunately I was back 2xdays later for a replacement puddle lamp which had been on back order and had them re check filter, all was good just residue spilt oil that had not been cleaned up!

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
This also happened to me after dealer had done oil change, fortunately I was back 2xdays later for a replacement puddle lamp which had been on back order and had them re check filter, all was good just residue spilt oil that had not been cleaned up!
Same here. Residue from spilled oil when removing the filter during my first oil change at the dealer. Left a little puddle on my garage, from the same spot as the OP is showing.

No biggie. Cleaned it up, checked the torque on filter and it was fine. Second oil change at the same dealer, no issues at all. No issues since, guess they're getting better at removing the filter without spillage.

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go under your car and open the filter hatch. Make sure there are no leaks from the filter base. If no leaks are seen its prolly spilled oil as you said but I would verify it. If you dont could be a costly error. If you dont have the stuff at your disposal to do this take a quick trip to the dealer and make them inspect it. Shouldn't take them long at all.
It’s not coming from the little filter door....it was just to the inside of the drivers front tire..

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
It’s not coming from the little filter door....it was just to the inside of the drivers front tire..
That may be another issue besides residual oil from the oil change. At least once I had oil on the garage floor, but it only dripped the residue from oil spillage during the oil change. The other instance, at a Cars and Cofee, my car was leaking oil in such a way, that it formed a puddle underneath, definitely a class III oil leak in military jargon. Luckily, a dealer was close by and service department open, they checked and found the oil filter loose....hmmmm. Good luck finding what’s up.

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That may be another issue besides residual oil from the oil change. At least once I had oil on the garage floor, but it only dripped the residue from oil spillage during the oil change. The other instance, at a Cars and Cofee, my car was leaking oil in such a way, that it formed a puddle underneath, definitely a class III oil leak in military jargon. Luckily, a dealer was close by and service department open, they checked and found the oil filter loose....hmmmm. Good luck finding what’s up.
If the filter was loose....the oil door area and back of the pan would be messy. The pic is right to the inside of the drivers side front tire. I watched the tech torque the filter...he showed me.

I went and checked underneath the car this morning and it’s dry as well as the area in the pic. I didn’t start or drive it....it was like 10 miles from the dealer to my garage. I can’t imagine the filter loosening in 10 miles. If there was a leak, wouldn’t it be constant?

Sponsored

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
If the filter was loose....the oil door area and back of the pan would be messy. The pic is right to the inside of the drivers side front tire. I watched the tech torque the filter...he showed me.

I went and checked underneath the car this morning and it’s dry as well as the area in the pic. I didn’t start or drive it....it was like 10 miles from the dealer to my garage. I can’t imagine the filter loosening in 10 miles. If there was a leak, wouldn’t it be constant?
I drove my car about 80 miles when it worked it self loose enough to start leaking profusely. It’s hard to tell what can be causing this symptom for sure. Did you have an oil cooler service recall done? Some have reported leaks after that procedure, and even a few had leaks prior.

If the oil stops leaking and nothing seems out of place, probably spilled oil from an oil change service. Hard to say how the oil ended up front, maybe car was parked at a sloping angle beforehand. If it’s constant, take it back to dealer for sure. Good luck.

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is a 2017 that did not fall into the recall.

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went to the dealer just to let them know and the tech that did the work came up. I explained to him what was going on...and the said he’s sure it’s residual oil from taking the filter off. He said he should have just taken the belly pan off. The service director came out and asked what was going on and I told him and he said the same thing. He ran my VIN and made sure it wasn’t under the oil cooler line recall. Then he said bring it in whenever I can and they’ll check it out.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
I went to the dealer just to let them know and the tech that did the work came up. I explained to him what was going on...and the said he’s sure it’s residual oil from taking the filter off. He said he should have just taken the belly pan off. The service director came out and asked what was going on and I told him and he said the same thing. He ran my VIN and made sure it wasn’t under the oil cooler line recall. Then he said bring it in whenever I can and they’ll check it out.
Glad to hear the service manager agrees it’s residual oil from oil change.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
good best to be safe
Sponsored