Sponsored

Oil Pressure Sensor Leak

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Had to pull it out of storage.... just to check. My curiosity became a bit overwhelming... just couldn’t wait ‘till spring. I’m assuming that it was properly torqued, since there’s no leak.... yet.

Tom, many Thanks for an easy and effective method. Back to storage she goes....
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Had to pull it out of storage.... just to check. My curiosity became a bit overwhelming... just couldn’t wait ‘till spring. I’m assuming that it was properly torqued, since there’s no leak.... yet.

Alright, you and the avatars.... Who's the hottie sitting on your lap?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Another note (to all),

I would caution that the sensor is wrapped with heat shield tape. It would be evident that the sensor was messed with if you remove the tape. I am confident that the sensor will not screw out if it gets loose. The harness will keep it from turning so many times that it would fall out and cause a catastrophic oil loss. Worst case is the sensor gets loose and oozes oil. If that happens, the biggest threat is the oil spreading all over your exhaust pipes and catching fire. That is why the first indication of this problem is the smell of burning oil.

So, my point is that if you peel back the heat shield tape, my concern would be that in the event of a problem (fire, etc), it may be considered that you messed with the sensor and caused the failure. My advice is to take it to a dealer to document and let them repair it.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Got under the car Tom. 100% confirmed seep is from the EOPS. Did a little research and it seems it is quite common and covered under TSB's for other vehicles. According to the TSB's I read, if the leak is coming from the threads, only a removal/clean/seal is required.

Last edited:

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Here is the TSB for F-150's. Could someone with access check and see if there is a TSB for the voodoo or coyote? What about the service procedure and TQ value? By looking at mine from the exterior it seems to be a sealant failure and no more. The sensor housing itself is not leaking and unless I have a crack in the block threads or damaged sensor threads, it most likely is sealant failure.

Attachments

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
So is a leaking sensor or just thread leak? In the beginning people were replacing sensor now just tighten? I guess you can't tell till tape comes off?

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
So is a leaking sensor or just thread leak? In the beginning people were replacing sensor now just tighten? I guess you can't tell till tape comes off?
If you are not completely sure after your initial inspection, have the dealer inspect it and verify. Mine is definitely a leak at the threads and simply tightening it will not fix it. you have to remove the sensor, clean, reapply sealant and install the sensor. Finally, a thread sealant is used not plumbers tape. Peramtex and Loctite both make the sealant spec'd by Ford.

wasserott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 LB WS
My 2017 had a major leak this summer with only 1k miles on the odo. Dealer fixed it.

My instructions to the dealer, make sure all of the under-tray fasteners are all put back on. They called to tell that it was missing 8 fasteners and wanted to know who had serviced the car. Funny thing though it had never been serviced so either the dealer i bought it from was in there and left them out or it came from the factory that way.

Sponsored

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
My 2017 had a major leak this summer with only 1k miles on the odo. Dealer fixed it.

My instructions to the dealer, make sure all of the under-tray fasteners are all put back on. They called to tell that it was missing 8 fasteners and wanted to know who had serviced the car. Funny thing though it had never been serviced so either the dealer i bought it from was in there and left them out or it came from the factory that way.
Or the dealer that did the leak repair lied.....nah, dealers wouldn't do that. :headbonk:

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
I found a leaking oil pressure sensor on my car this evening too. I just hit 8,000 miles. Noticed the burning oil smell and figured the oil filter had backed off, but when I got underneath the car I noticed that the Sharpie mark I made on the oil filter had not moved. I got under the car with the engine running and found the drip away from the filter. Traced the drip to the oil pressure sensor and saw that the factory witness mark on the sensor showed the sensor has backed off a full quarter turn. I’ll be calling my service advisor in the morning to set an appointment to get it fixed.

O-H-5-0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350; 2016 F-150
Just got mine back after dropping it off while I was at Track Attack. They performed TSB 18-2159 and replaced the oil filter adapter according to the work order.

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
Revising an old thread (car is a 15 PP) - does this look familiar? Seems like oil coming from area where oil filter adapter connects to the cooler
20190516_232842.jpg
20190516_233035.jpg

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Kind of difficult to tell by that angle...

Check filter torque.
Check if there’s any c-clips in the area that aren’t fully seated.
Check for any loose sensors that may be in the area.
Sponsored