Sponsored

Broken Valve/ Motor Blown

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Keep fighting man, my friend had an issue with his 2017 GT making a ticking noise, visited multiple dealers (I know that's not an option for you), and eventually he got a dealer to tear down his engine to find scoring in one of his cylinders from a wrist pin. He heard the same thing from his dealer that you're hearing now, but he also got Ford directly involved and ended up with a new long block instead of a rebuilt short block.

Definitely call Ford directly and get them involved on the case.
Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I had the same tick as above and they put in a shortblock. REAL CRAPPY JOB OF IT the exhaust started leaking the car ran like crap after that so I made ford buy it back.

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
LEMON LAW

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
At this point, he thinks they are going to replace one cylinder head and the short block, because they found the piston wall has scoring that is non-repairable.
Sorry to hear what's happened. If they go down this path it seems there's not much between it and a long block, and presumably they have to warrant the rebuild work through the dealership rather than warranting a long block through Ford.

To be honest, this is a good example of why I like buying used cars with some miles that haven't had issues. I figure if the car goes 15-20K miles stuff like this has already happened...
I hear you GreenS550 but how do you know for sure if they haven't had issues? Also if a repair has been undertaken there's no guarantee it's been done properly.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I hear you GreenS550 but how do you know for sure if they haven't had issues? Also if a repair has been undertaken there's no guarantee it's been done properly.
Usually when stuff like what you are experiencing now happens, the owner trades in or sells the car. The carfax will tell a goodly amount of the history. If, like in your case a new long block is put in and another 10K miles are racked up and say you trade it in in a year, the issue has been rectified. Not always, but often.

One of the reasons I'm on the fence with the Bullitt. I'd rather drive/buy one with miles one it. The depreciation also helps to soften the fall if I want to sell it sooner than later, like my '15 which stickered for 41K, but I paid 28K for it. Putting my blower, tires, exaust on the car will be about 38K all in. If I sell in 10-20k more miles for say 25-27, I lose 10K which I can deal with.

What you are going through is really irritating especially since you bought the car new and also have the depreciation to deal with.

I am not criticizing you at all. You just got a bad engine. Could happen to any car at any time. My comment is that the 3 36 warranty exists whether you are the first or 10th owner. That's all.

Make sure you get a GT loaner and a new long block. It is perfectly right to expect this. YOU are the customer.

I am a retired CFP and I would actually reverse a stock trade, take the market loss if a client lied about the trade. That only happened a couple of times in many, many years. No one could assault my integrity. It was worth it. I would later suggest the client transfer his/her account.

Service and integrity are everything. A good dealer knows this. Or, should. Hopefully a Ford rep will take care of you.

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I would push for the long block and call the ford rep mentioned.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
You paid for a factory assembled motor, not a dealership assembled motor. That is not an insignificant difference.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So the week goes by, and I havent heard anything. Im trying my hardest to let the guys do their thing, but the anticipation was killing me at that point, so I called the dealer on friday in search of an update. I talked to the advisor handling my car, and he said that they found a valve broken and inside cylinder number 1. There are multiple holes in the piston, and they have had to communicate back and forth with ford in regards on what actions to take.
Did they say if the valve spring broke, or the valve keepers failed, or what they think caused the valve to drop?

He said they had to prove to ford that there was no aftermarket software on the car that could have cause the failure(the car was NOT tuned) and that any modifications to the car (res. delete, axle back, jlt oil catch can, and k+n filter) did not cause it either. He told me that now that ford has authorized repair, they have to finish tearing the motor down and see if the block was damaged, and what other damage has occurred.
Frickin' Ford will try and dig at any opportunity to not fix something under warranty. If they think a resonator delete, axle back exhaust or oil catch-can caused a valve to drop, then Ford better hire some people in the warranty department with some basic engineering background and some common sense.

Sorry this happened, and hope you can get it fixed to your satisfaction. My vote is also to push for a long block from Ford.

OP
OP

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Did they say if the valve spring broke, or the valve keepers failed, or what they think caused the valve to drop?

Frickin' Ford will try and dig at any opportunity to not fix something under warranty. If they think a resonator delete, axle back exhaust or oil catch-can caused a valve to drop, then Ford better hire some people in the warranty department with some basic engineering background and some common sense.

Sorry this happened, and hope you can get it fixed to your satisfaction. My vote is also to push for a long block from Ford.

the valve actually snapped and broke off clean. If you look at the first two pictures, you can see the very top of the valve.

I think the biggest thing they were looking for was aftermarket software, but, they did mention to me that ford did want to know all of the modifications that were done to the car as well.

Hopefully they put my catch can back on though lol

OP
OP

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
UPDATE:

Called a little while ago seeking updates again. Adviser told me that he believes they have ordered a short block and one cylinder head. He wasn't 100% sure as the tech went to lunch already. Told me he would call me back in a little bit to let me know for sure.

Sounds like the decision has already been made by them as far as the repair goes.

Would I LIKE to have a long block instead? Of course. At the end of the day, Ford will have to warranty the vehicle after the repair. If short block is what they plan to do, then so be it. I'll break the motor in as stated by the manual (again) and then drive it like its meant to be driven to make sure the motor is good.

I may still try to call and get in touch with the local ford rep and see what can be done, if anything.

Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
UPDATE:

Called a little while ago seeking updates again. Adviser told me that he believes they have ordered a short block and one cylinder head. He wasn't 100% sure as the tech went to lunch already. Told me he would call me back in a little bit to let me know for sure.

Sounds like the decision has already been made by them as far as the repair goes.

Would I LIKE to have a long block instead? Of course. At the end of the day, Ford will have to warranty the vehicle after the repair. If short block is what they plan to do, then so be it. I'll break the motor in as stated by the manual (again) and then drive it like its meant to be driven to make sure the motor is good.

I may still try to call and get in touch with the local ford rep and see what can be done, if anything.
It better be perfect, and problem free. Not impossible, but not a sure thing either. Good luck.

OP
OP

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
It better be perfect, and problem free. Not impossible, but not a sure thing either. Good luck.
Agreed. Trust me, if its not 100% they and ford will know about it. The crazy thing is, I CANNOT find just an assembled short block anywhere online. I see long blocks and bare blocks.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Thats Ford for ya. Friend is going through the same exact problem you are, pretty much the exact same failure and it is taking forever for ford to approve any warranty work, let alone the dealer taking forever to install/diagnose anything. And you can guarantee your car is getting scratched while in the shop, their mechanics literally do not care. That happened to me while getting a hose replaced (whole other rant about ford), my hood had a bunch of scratches on it and I had them pay for the damages. Hope it all works out!

OP
OP

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Thats Ford for ya. Friend is going through the same exact problem you are, pretty much the exact same failure and it is taking forever for ford to approve any warranty work, let alone the dealer taking forever to install/diagnose anything. And you can guarantee your car is getting scratched while in the shop, their mechanics literally do not care. That happened to me while getting a hose replaced (whole other rant about ford), my hood had a bunch of scratches on it and I had them pay for the damages. Hope it all works out!

Adviser told me that they have the entire front of the car covered. The pic that my salesman sent to me, shows the type of "cover" they have on it. Looks to be large blanket type material. guarantee that it is going to come back swirled up. If its just swirls, I can spend a day cutting/polishing. If there are scratches, then I wont even take the car back. they can pay to have it re-painted to my satisfaction.

From what I understand, the engine comes out the bottom when they do this type of work. Literally disconnect everything, and then drop the whole subframe. I worry about how everything will be put back together. luckily, I took pictures of the engine bay the day this happened(literally spent 2 hours cleaning and dressing everything under the hood)

Shall be interesting. In theory, a short block should be perfectly fine, as long as the tech can put it together correctly. I would still prefer a factory sealed engine though for the peace of mind.

I wont lie, ill have issues trusting the car to drive long distances now..

Last edited:
OP
OP

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
UPDATE:

Adviser called again, and confirmed that they are replacing the short block and one cylinder head. He told me that he thinks the car should be back together and returned by the weekend.

Plus side is that the car still has 55k/ little over 4 years worth of warranty on powertrain remaining. If I get the car back by the weekend, ill do my best to get the break in miles done and see how she runs.
Sponsored