Sponsored

PP brake pad temp range?

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Has anyone tried one of the EBC pads - yellow or blue? I've read very differing reports on them and am wondering if any S550 owners have direct experience using them. Seems like a great price, reasonable performance, low dust, and streetable... but some reviews state they fall apart early, others swear by them.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone tried one of the EBC pads - yellow or blue? I've read very differing reports on them and am wondering if any S550 owners have direct experience using them. Seems like a great price, reasonable performance, low dust, and streetable... but some reviews state they fall apart early, others swear by them.
No, but I'd stay away.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've used G-loc exclusively on track and have basically "ruined" my Forgestar CF5 bronze finish. Caked on brake dust in the windows of the wheels, and creates a haze on the surface. You can get 90% of it off with a polisher, but you're ruining $10 pads pretty quickly doing it. I fall into the camp of not caring, though.

If you guys think Carbtech and G-loc are expensive, don't look into the high end stuff. You'll lose your lunch :)

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
Found on an STI forum re the Powerstop Track Day pads from a Powerstop rep. Nice specs and very reasonable price. Sounds too good to be true. :D
----
Thanks for the inquiry! Powerstop Track Day brake pads are going to far exceed the HP+ in every category, wider heat range, a ton more friction, lower noise, and a higher heat threshold.

Operating temps: 65F - 1300+F
Ideal operating temps: 120F+
----
I'm going to give them a shot. What do I have to lose but the beautiful finish of my new wheels? :brokenheart:

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I used the Yellows on my STI. They squealed horribly at first, and were hard on the rotors. Brake power didn't impress, but they were easy to modulate. Not terrible but I would look elsewhere for a dual purpose pad. Never noticed any corrosion/wheel finish issues.

Now I liked the Reds a lot more as a street pad.

Sponsored

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
ordered a set of the Powerstop track day pads from RockAuto along with a set of cheap raybestos rotors. I always clean my wheels within a day or two of a track day, so I'm not worried about brake dust. :D

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I used the Yellows on my STI. They squealed horribly at first, and were hard on the rotors. Brake power didn't impress, but they were easy to modulate. Not terrible but I would look elsewhere for a dual purpose pad. Never noticed any corrosion/wheel finish issues.

Now I liked the Reds a lot more as a street pad.
I liked the performance of the Red for the street but they killed the clearcoat on my previous car's wheels and corroded them.

I also ordered a set of the Track Day pads to try. Got on the PSpring20 code on eBay last week and got them and SRF fluid for $195 shipped.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I finally got back to my car and cleaned it up, including the wheels with all the PS Track Day pad dust. It washed right off with no problem after sitting on them for a week.

The cone marks are another story, lol.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The Powerstop Track Day pads are legit for HPDE work. Like others have said they are linear, consistent and never showed signs of fade for me this afternoon.

I also have Baer Eradispeed slotted rotors on each corner and StopTech STR600 brake fluid.

Bumzo1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT PP
I ordered a set of the Powerstop Track day pads as well based on the recommendations on this forum and others. I haven't installed them yet but I will be trying them out at Eagles Canyon Raceway at the end of the month, which is notoriously tough on brakes. I'm hoping it serves me well as a good intermediate HPDE pad, this will be my first time on this track so I doubt I'll be pushing the car to 100%. My friend was pushing me to get a set of carbotechs but at more than double the price it was hard to justify. My hope is that these perform well for an intermediate level on street tires.

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
LESSON LEARNED :
never ever buy again Hawk.
with my challegenr 4 pistons I've deided to put on 5.0 pads .countless the times I almost hit the car in the front. very long stop and not immediately bite.
on the track...i almost hit the wall...

CARBOTECH XP10- front and xp 8 back was what I've used. great pads on track. very noisy and dust on the street.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
LESSON LEARNED :
never ever buy again Hawk.
with my challegenr 4 pistons I've deided to put on 5.0 pads .countless the times I almost hit the car in the front. very long stop and not immediately bite.
That's unfortunate. I was hoping they'd be enough better than the 'plain' HPS to notice but it sounds like that's not the case.

on the track...i almost hit the wall...
It's still a street pad . . . doesn't belong on the track especially in any heavy car.

CARBOTECH XP10- front and xp 8 back was what I've used. great pads on track. very noisy and dust on the street.
Noise with CT's or G-locs (they're essentially the same compounds) is at its worst in the kind of gentle low-intensity stops that most people use when approaching a STOP sign or red traffic light. I'll bet you never heard any noise with these on the track or in paddock at the end of a session.

Any chance you have to safely do harder stops than what "average traffic" normally does, take it. I'm not talking max-effort / throw all the anchors over the side here, but definitely harder than necessary. Emphasis on safely doing this; following traffic may not be prepared so check your mirrors first (not a bad habit to get into anyway ;) ).

Norm

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Wanted to update this thread - I ran the powerstop track day pads with fresh (cheapo) rotors for a VIR Full track day on Monday. I was much harder on the brakes than with the stock pads, but even so the pads did fantastic. This was with 30 minute sessions too. There were a couple times when the pads felt like they were getting a bit too hot, but even then they were entirely predictable and linear, and smooth as well. Pulling the car down from 150 mph on the back straight was consistent, lap after lap. Same for the front straight at 140. I think they seem to dust about the same as the stockers. The only downside is their lower operating range is a little higher than the stock pads, so when you first start driving in the AM, they can be a little more cold-natured on the first 2-3 stops, but nothing like a race pad. Forgot to mention that these things are QUIET with no screeching/squealing/etc. In summary, thanks for the suggestion - these pads are great. :headbang:
Sponsored

Last edited: