Sponsored

Easy way to activate differential cooler pump during fluid change?

JeffPeoples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I am changing my rear diff fluid with BG lube from Optimum Performance. I would like to activate the cooler pump to make for a more complete fluid change. I don't have any type of tool that could activate R_DIFF_PUMP PID. What type of scan tool can do this? Also, could you just connect a 12V battery to the connector on the pump? Anyone tried this?
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I use ForScan on my laptop with a bluetooth OBD2 reader.
Hey [MENTION=30820]DocWalt[/MENTION], could you please provide the specific directions to activate the diff pump via Forscan? Thanks.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
When I changed my fluid, I disconnected the lines from the cooler where they go info the diff. That’s when I noticed that the cooler is higher than the diff and that it appeared that all the fluid had drained out of that little radiator on its own. When I refilled it, it took the noted fill amount to top-off the diff. So I presume I probably got it all when drained. Not sure running the pump will get much more.

Sponsored

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
When I changed my fluid, I disconnected the lines from the cooler where they go info the diff. That’s when I noticed that the cooler is higher than the diff and that it appeared that all the fluid had drained out of that little radiator on its own. When I refilled it, it took the noted fill amount to top-off the diff. So I presume I probably got it all when drained. Not sure running the pump will get much more.
You need to run the pump to suck the fresh fluid up so you can get an accurate fill level.

Fill the diff, run the pump, top off the diff.

FWIW the diff cooler/pump doesn't drain off much fluid apparently. When I topped off the diff after running the pump I could only add a minimal amount of gear oil. The capacity of the lines, pump, and cooler must be fairly low, at least in the bits that drain.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I drove the car to when the pump ran, then checked the fill level, and it was still topped off just fine.
So like you said, must not be much fluid in the lines and that small radiator, and it mostly gravity drained all by itself.
Sponsored