CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Are the Coyote motor timing chain tensioners kept tight with oil pressure when the engine is running? The reason I ask is my car started the barbeque tick at 27,000 miles with an oil change. Only happens when the engine is warm at operating temp. Cold it's quiet as a church mouse. Cold oil is thicker and would provide more pressure to the tensioners. As it warms less pressure/tension. I took a mechanics stethoscope and probed the motor. I located the tick at the timing chain area of the block. Definitely coming from this location. I read people change to a thicker oil and it goes away. So can people with more mechanic knowledge than I have please answer this? Does this sound plausible? Lower oil pressure > lower chain tensioner pressure > slack in chain > ticking sound. My car goes in the shop next Tuesday.
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I don't think there has been a single BBQ tick diagnosis at the dealer. There has been no fix for anyone. I searched like a mad man when mine started doing it after the first oil change. If yours is fixed somehow, you may be the first one ever.

To answer your question, yes oil pressure is what moves the tensioners. This website confirms it.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/115

Now the question is, does the oil change somehow mess up the timing chains? There's that initial startup with no oil pressure for a fraction of a second right? Could that be the culprit? With that being said, the theory of bbq tick being normal goes out the window.

OP
OP
CEHollier

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think there has been a single BBQ tick diagnosis at the dealer. There has been no fix for anyone. I searched like a mad man when mine started doing it after the first oil change. If yours is fixed somehow, you may be the first one ever.

To answer your question, yes oil pressure is what moves the tensioners. This website confirms it.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/115

Now the question is, does the oil change somehow mess up the timing chains? There's that initial startup with no oil pressure for a fraction of a second right? Could that be the culprit? With that being said, the theory of bbq tick being normal goes out the window.
Agree. Not every tick is the barbecue tick. This might explain why I do not hear it with cold starts until temp is around 185 degrees. Also more noticeable on hot days. When the oil is cold/thicker it creates more pressure. So cold starts no tick. I wonder if the thinner fresh oil with oil change is causing this? I read changing to heavier oil resolves the tick. I can see the correlation.

Last edited:

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
I really do think this is what causes the tick. I think it's the timing chain flopping around at low rpm when warm. This is caused by the oval cam phaser and the warm oil/less low rpm oil pressure on the tension.

Watch:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106913

OP
OP
CEHollier

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic