Sponsored

2018 Running Pony Front

Yaculloan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic PP
Hey all,
I made a custom pony emblem through fords website, and I was using CJ pony parts install video for it. However there are differences, my car is a PP1 and it has all this extra radiator ducting by the hood latch and I don't want to take off the bumper. Anyone have any tips or tricks? can't find a video for it.

Thanks,
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Based on the threads I've seen here, the only way is to remove the front bumper cover. They changed the design up there so it isn't as simple of a swap anymore.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Just ran into the same issue. Readjusting the hood latch is a nightmare too. Spent a lot of time trying to get at it from above with no luck. Removing the 8 small screws that hold the top of the bumper cover on doesn't help either. To remove the front bumper cover it looks like you have to remove the plastic shield from under the car, hopefully just removing that will let me reach up to the back of the emblem. BTW the rear GT emblem is mechanically fastened behind the rear panel, I cracked the panel pulling off the GT thinking it was just taped on.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if it is different on the 18, but on my car I didn't have to take off the shield. Just remove the 13 or so screws holding the splitter to it.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: Success installing the black front pony emblem on a 2018 PP1. I didn't need to raise the car, I did it lying on the ground. Some tips:
1) Use a 9/32" socket, a 1/4" ratchet, and 3" extension to remove the 13 hex screws from under the front splitter (thanks Nagare) and the two screws about a foot farther back under the engine. The 13 are a PIA to get out, they start to angle towards the back as they come out. Pushing in on the splitter helps a little.
2) VERY CAREFULLY pry the shield out from under the splitter lip, enough to get your arm in. I only pulled to where the splitter starts to angle back towards the doors.
3) Reach up inside and break off the 4 plastic tabs that hold the pony emblem in place. I am about 5'11" 180 lbs and I'm not sure that somebody with shorter or thicker arms would be able to reach. Try to catch the tabs and retainer discs as they break or some will disappear into the inside of the bumper.
4) Pull out the old emblem and slide in the new one. Reach up one at a time and push the new retainer discs onto the four pins.
5) When you put everything back together, it's hard to get the 13 screws back in. You have to angle them towards the front of the car and push the splitter in a little bit to get the screws to catch.
6) Admire your work and put bandaids on your scratched up arm.

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Hey all,
I made a custom pony emblem through fords website, and I was using CJ pony parts install video for it. However there are differences, my car is a PP1 and it has all this extra radiator ducting by the hood latch and I don't want to take off the bumper. Anyone have any tips or tricks? can't find a video for it.

Thanks,
You can order a custom emblem?

I just want matte black. After seeing the shutter system I was thinking of just putting a rubber coat on it. Some really wide painters tape may help.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
You can order a custom emblem?

I just want matte black. After seeing the shutter system I was thinking of just putting a rubber coat on it. Some really wide painters tape may help.
cjponyparts sells a matte black front pony emblem, their part # GO37.

I've tried painting/dipping emblems on other vehicles before. Worked fine on side/rear but not the grill, pretty soon stone chips let the old color start peeking through.

Jpol908

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 401A Ragtop
Just get a drill and 7/32 bit, tape off area around the OEM Pony, and CAREFULLY drill out the tabs from the front. You can use the new Pony as a reference to locate the tabs.

Literary takes 5 minutes. Easy as pie.
Sponsored