Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
So not having power-shifted a manual in maybe 20+ years, I gave the "no lift shift" a try today.

Second to third shift, smooth as butter. This could be addictive ;)

Loving the tune so far.
Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
I am so on the fence ��. I have a 2017 PP MANUAL 3:73 gears. Do a little street, a little SDCCA and a little back and forth to work. Was set on PP3 and don’t mind reving it out but after reading through all your posts multiple times ..... based on what you posted has me thinking PP2 ...... hahaha but my question is from a roll race if I am at 4K rpm and up the PP3 would dominate correct?
PP3 provides more area under the curve and either PP2 or even the LT1 6.2 in the latest Camaro SS (very fast car stock). PP2 provides a little more area under the curve than a stock LT1 6.2 in the low / mid-range and near identical in the peak range.

PP3 will simply walk all over a stock LT1 or PP2 in a roll race. Even the 2018 GT's in a 1 mile race won by 4 car lengths over the 2018 SS. 2018 GT's make 460 HP peak and rev out to 7500 RPM.

PP3 makes 472 HP and revs out to 7500 RPM. 2018 Gen 3 Coyote may make a little more power down low / mid however due to DI, but then again maybe not because it's tuned to run on 87 as well, which limits how aggressive you can be in the mid range.

I'm thinking PP3 will just dominate based on how much area under the curve you gain by shifting the power band up higher. Remember, if your shifting at a higher RPM rev limit, your also starting higher up on the power curve in the next gear. Your not just adding area under the curve, your using more of the peak range of that area, so your gains more than just raw power increases would normally indicate alone.

PP2 however is the best bang for buck hands down. It's right between stock and PP3, basically giving you slightly better than stock LT1 6.2 performance (a hard to beat engine in size vs. power vs. cost) for a ~$600 investment.

For Auto X PP2 may actually be better choice, it has more midrange punch than PP3. You spend more time in the mid range in auto X than close to the rev limit or in the peak area of the power band.

So for daily, Auto X and drag racing PP2. For Track and Roll Racing PP3. Although there's nothing wrong with PP3 for daily and it will still buy you quite a bit in auto X, you will not be able to tap into it's power band as often in 3rd and 4th gear with out massively speeding on the street and your often not going that fast in auto x as far the courses I've seen.

So for daily, Auto X and drag racing / bang for buck (or if you just want to bring your 2015-2017 up to SS power levels for bragging rights) go PP2. For Track and Roll Racing or to just dominate in big power go PP3. Although there's nothing wrong with PP3 for daily, you will not be able to tap into it's power band as often in 3rd and 4th gear with out massively speeding. If you rev it out in 3rd, you'll be hitting 97.5 mph + with PP3...you're already hitting 93 mph with PP2 and stock tires by the time you hit the rev limiter (on stock 27.7 in tire diameter and 3.73 gearing, 3.31's will be a lot higher speeds).

Take a look at this to see how you can take advantage of PP3 for track / HDPE and roll racing:

Stock:
Next Gear Start RPM
2nd: 4450
3rd: 4650
4th: 5250
5th: 5100

PP2:
Next Gear Start RPM PP2
2nd: 4700
3rd: 4900
4th: 5500
5th: 5350

Next Gear Start RPM PP3
2nd: 4900
3rd: 5100
4th: 5750
5th: 5600

See how raising the rev limiter shifts your higher in the power curve for each gear? The 2nd generation 5.0 has a huge amount of potential built into it that isn't tapped into from the factory. Not only are you increasing area under the curve with each next level power pack up, but your moving the operating range in each gear higher up into the meat of it as well. Braski ran an 11.86 with just a PP2, DR's and IRS re-work on his PP GT 6M. Great driver but it shows the potential of the PP2. He said with better DA he thinks it could run another .1 to .2 faster as well, so it's possible there's even more left in it. That's heck of a phenomenal 1/4 mile time for a "modest" warranty covered $600 power adder and you'd outrun a stock Gen 6 SS (assuming same driver, track, tires etc.), the gold standard of factory performance currently...fastest he could do on that car at the same track with just DR's (all else stock) was 12.7. With just DR's and the PP2 he ran a 12.08. With IRS stuff finally thrown in on top of it all, he ran an 11.86.

Fastest bone stock GT PP 6M ran a 12.56 by McMark26. Who then had the car bought back on lemon law issues and bought a 2017 SS 6M. He ran a best of 12.099 on that car bone stock, McMark26 was also fastest bone stock on stock tires of the gen 6 SS fast list as well (so he topped both lists), awesome driver! I think DA was in the -600~-800 range for his SS run, but he never posted what it was for the GT, but I do believe it was at the same track, just different days.

So there's no reason a PP2 2015-2017 GT can't compete directly with the latest SS in the 1/4 mile / roll race with just a PP2 and maybe some IRS fixes (which won't help in a roll race). Yes, I mention the latest Gen 6 Camaro SS because it's such a fast car as it comes from the factory, so it's a great bench mark. But there's no factory power adders, you can't make it's trunk useful nor fix it's visibility issues and it's more tapped out from the factory, so what you get is what you get unless you want to void the warranty and you can't rev it higher without de-stroking it or going to a whole new rotating assembly which is quite pricey...there's always a catch. But you can run 87 :-).

Last edited:

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
PP3 provides more area under the curve and either PP2 or even the LT1 6.2 in the latest Camaro SS (very fast car stock). PP2 provides a little more area under the curve than a stock LT1 6.2 in the low / mid-range and near identical in the peak range.

PP3 will simply walk all over a stock LT1 or PP2 in a roll race. Even the 2018 GT's in a 1 mile race won by 4 car lengths over the 2018 SS. 2018 GT's make 460 HP peak and rev out to 7500 RPM.

PP3 makes 472 HP and revs out to 7500 RPM. 2018 Gen 3 Coyote may make a little more power down low / mid however due to DI, but then again maybe not because it's tuned to run on 87 as well, which limits how aggressive you can be in the mid range.

I'm thinking PP3 will just dominate based on how much area under the curve you gain by shifting the power band up higher. Remember, if your shifting at a higher RPM rev limit, your also starting higher up on the power curve in the next gear. Your not just adding area under the curve, your using more of the peak range of that area, so your gains more than just raw power increases would normally indicate alone.

PP2 however is the best bang for buck hands down. It's right between stock and PP3, basically giving you slightly better than stock LT1 6.2 performance (a hard to beat engine in size vs. power vs. cost) for a ~$600 investment.

For Auto X PP2 may actually be better choice, it has more midrange punch than PP3. You spend more time in the mid range in auto X than close to the rev limit or in the peak area of the power band.

So for daily, Auto X and drag racing PP2. For Track and Roll Racing PP3. Although there's nothing wrong with PP3 for daily and it will still buy you quite a bit in auto X, you will not be able to tap into it's power band as often in 3rd and 4th gear with out massively speeding on the street and your often not going that fast in auto x as far the courses I've seen.

So for daily, Auto X and drag racing / bang for buck (or if you just want to bring your 2015-2017 up to SS power levels for bragging rights) go PP2. For Track and Roll Racing or to just dominate in big power go PP3. Although there's nothing wrong with PP3 for daily, you will not be able to tap into it's power band as often in 3rd and 4th gear with out massively speeding. If you rev it out in 3rd, you'll be hitting 97.5 mph + with PP3...you're already hitting 93 mph with PP2 and stock tires by the time you hit the rev limiter (on stock 27.7 in tire diameter and 3.73 gearing, 3.31's will be a lot higher speeds).

Take a look at this to see how you can take advantage of PP3 for track / HDPE and roll racing:

Stock:
Next Gear Start RPM
2nd: 4450
3rd: 4650
4th: 5250
5th: 5100

PP2:
Next Gear Start RPM PP2
2nd: 4700
3rd: 4900
4th: 5500
5th: 5350

Next Gear Start RPM PP3
2nd: 4900
3rd: 5100
4th: 5750
5th: 5600

See how raising the rev limiter shifts your higher in the power curve for each gear? The 2nd generation 5.0 has a huge amount of potential built into it that isn't tapped into from the factory. Not only are you increasing area under the curve with each next level power pack up, but your moving the operating range in each gear higher up into the meat of it as well. Braski ran an 11.86 with just a PP2, DR's and IRS re-work on his PP GT 6M. Great driver but it shows the potential of the PP2. He said with better DA he thinks it could run another .1 to .2 faster as well, so it's possible there's even more left in it. That's heck of a phenomenal 1/4 mile time for a "modest" warranty covered $600 power adder and you'd outrun a stock Gen 6 SS (assuming same driver, track, tires etc.), the gold standard of factory performance currently...fastest he could do on that car at the same track with just DR's (all else stock) was 12.7. With just DR's and the PP2 he ran a 12.08. With IRS stuff finally thrown in on top of it all, he ran an 11.86.

Fastest bone stock GT PP 6M ran a 12.56 by McMark26. Who then had the car bought back on lemon law issues and bought a 2017 SS 6M. He ran a best of 12.099 on that car bone stock, McMark26 was also fastest bone stock on stock tires of the gen 6 SS fast list as well (so he topped both lists), awesome driver! I think DA was in the -600~-800 range for his SS run, but he never posted what it was for the GT, but I do believe it was at the same track, just different days.

So there's no reason a PP2 2015-2017 GT can't compete directly with the latest SS in the 1/4 mile / roll race with just a PP2 and maybe some IRS fixes (which won't help in a roll race). Yes, I mention the latest Gen 6 Camaro SS because it's such a fast car as it comes from the factory, so it's a great bench mark. But there's no factory power adders, you can't make it's trunk useful nor fix it's visibility issues and it's more tapped out from the factory, so what you get is what you get unless you want to void the warranty and you can't rev it higher without de-stroking it or going to a whole new rotating assembly which is quite pricey...there's always a catch. But you can run 87 :-).
Sorry but i Disagree. Ive ran both in my PP2 car. The 17 SS had longtubes and intake, no tune in a 6spd. From a 40 we were neck and neck till about 125 he got me by about a car. The 17 5.0 was gt350 intake mani, Pmas, longtubes tuned by AED on 93. Once again 40 roll i pulled 2 cars and held him off till 125ish. The 5.0 had 3:73 gears, SS unknown.
The disparity is not large. I do realize im getting ran down on the big end but by the time i do its pretty much over. So it comes down to which do you prefer.
I do have vids to prove this.

Last edited:

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Sorry but i Disagree. Ive ran both in my PP2 car. The 17 SS had longtubes and intake, no tune in a 6spd. From a 40 we were neck and neck till about 125 he got me by about a car. The 17 5.0 was gt350 intake mani, Pmas, longtubes tuned by AED on 93. Once again 40 roll i pulled 2 cars and held him off till 125ish. The 5.0 had 3:73 gears, SS unknown.
The disparity is not large. I do realize im getting ran down on the big end but by the time i do its pretty much over. So it comes down to which do you prefer.
Wasn’t TheLion referring to a “stock SS”?

Sponsored

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yes, which is my point.
I’m kind of confused, the SS that you ran against wasn’t stock. I must be missing something. Really, not trying to argue or anything, I don’t see what you’re trying to say?

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
I’m kind of confused, the SS that you ran against wasn’t stock. I must be missing something. Really, not trying to argue or anything, I don’t see what you’re trying to say?
I'am PP2 only and ran that close with a modded 17ss. I pull on stock opes.

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'am PP2 only and ran that close with a modded 17ss. I pull on stock opes.
The part where you said you disagreed it what threw me off, thank you for clarifying. Sometimes I don’t catch on easily.

Hotlaprc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
So you raced a 17 5.0 with GT350 manifold, long tubes ect with your car only have a PP2 package and beat him from a 40 MPH ROLL?

JustinReed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So you raced a 17 5.0 with GT350 manifold, long tubes ect with your car only have a PP2 package and beat him from a 40 MPH ROLL?
Now I’m wondering the same thing, cause I don’t think a GT with a PP2 can beat my car. Especially, with my numbers. I know numbers don’t mean squat unless I can drive, but I can.

Sponsored

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
Yes, he was starting pull on me half way through 4th but by the top of 4th I was still about a car.

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
Now I’m wondering the same thing, cause I don’t think a GT with a PP2 can beat my car. Especially, with my numbers. I know numbers don’t mean squat unless I can drive, but I can.
Diff conditions could yield diff results. The power curve on the PP2 is fat from 3500 to 65

Hotlaprc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Hey I’m in santee too. Maybe I need to get the PP2 and we see how it goes down? Hahah who did you have install and Dyno?
Sponsored