Sponsored

Oil change....why can’t I trust the dealer.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
$20 will only help if he knows enough to do it right.
Sponsored

jlauth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Just did my first oil change on this car last night. I will say it was tougher than most cars...and can get messy.

My main pointers are to buy a large open oil pan. My oil pan was not large enough and i had to plug it half way through the draining, which made a mess. This oil is thin and flows fast. I would also buy the mouldable funnle to help with the oil filter removal.

Another thing i tried for the first time was putting puppy pads down to catch the oil. It worked great and they are cheap. Long story short we just got a puppy, and we bought a ton of these in prep for him, but the dude was potty trained in like 2 months and we never really used any of them...so i figured id try them in the garage.

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
I went to the dealer, the tech undid a bunch of belly pan fasteners and there was oil towards the front one the pan...and it ran out right by the front drivers side tire. I could see the path it took. It’s all cleaned up and we checked the filter, oil cooler and lines and the drain plug. Everything was dry...all is well in GT350 land.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
search for leaking oil pressure sender, you got to rev the engine and it will drip, good video of it.

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
search for leaking oil pressure sender, you got to rev the engine and it will drip, good video of it.
We checked it, it was dry. I checked it a couple of times....you reach it from the top of the engine when the hood is open.

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
My Service Mgr. got back from vacation, saw the "negative report" I gave when solicited by Ford and, asked me not to bother the "tech's" by going to the bay area? So, if I can't watch the service. I sure as Hell going to do my own from now on! I gave this "Last change" a decent report. Sad America, no workers for manual labor.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
That was me. First session of a 3 day track weekend. My dealership took care of it right away.

I would not recommend fixing this yourself. The reason is that a drip could occur due to a loose or broken sensor. The pressure sensor is covered by heat shield tape which makes it difficult to ascertain which position you are in, broken or loose sensor.

My point is if you put a band aid on it, and it catastrophically fails, you stand to loose a lot of oil in a very short amount of time and possibly ruining your engine. If you are the cause of the problem (your attempted repair), you very well have bought yourself a new engine.

jedirocker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
visualuniverse.org
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Am at the dealer now for the first oil change (1,100 mi). They've had the car for about 20 min and the Service Adviser just walked up and asked me what kind of oil should go in it. I told him he needs to go find the GT350 certified technician and have him do the oil change. Also told him the weight and the word synthetic. Guess that makes me the Service Adviser.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
That is not good. I'd tell them to look it up that being a Ford dealership they should do that on all Ford vehicles before changing the oil. Be sure to look at the receipt over good to be sure they put the proper oil in it and also that they did put 10 quarts in. And in my case I have a early 17 with spin on oil filter so I would make darn sure they torqued it to specs. I don't expect them to know type and how much every Ford vehicle needs. But I do expect them to look it up to be sure they are using proper type and amount. Scary!

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
For fuck sake make sure that they know 10 quarts goes in that motor. Don't let him fill it low. Check that shit before you drive out check that dipstick man.

Also as mentioned oil filter torque. Knucklehead dealerships, how do they not know that

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
And be aware...I've heard horror stories of the dealer just pumping every car in the shop from a feed from a large canister; everything in the shop gets 5W20! What's on the receipt is NOT an indication of what's in your car...unless you physically see them go get 10 quarts from the parts counter. You guys are some brave souls...

jedirocker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
visualuniverse.org
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
UPDATE: I was able to watch from the window as the technician filled it with the correct oil. Receipt shows 10 qts of the correct oil. Dipstick check has oil between the holes. Drove it 50 miles and watched the oil pressure gauge frequently.

The Service Adviser was newly employed and did not know what was involved with the Shelby oil changes. Surprised they don't train 'em on the facts for these specialty cars.
Sponsored