Sponsored

Ecoboost Stock Engine Capabilities

sliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Eco
I couldnt find any information regarding this but my question is what is the most horsepower the ecoboost engine can handle on stock expect for bolt ons and and a tune.
Sponsored

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue 2.3T/AT Mustang
I would say 410 at the crank with a perfect tune and maintenance. Typically most engines can easily handle 100 more hp over stock. Obviously, the engine would have to be in tip top condition in order to handle more, but you would be playing Russian roulette imo. I would love 400whp and I am sure a bigger turbo and high octane would do the trick, but this is my daily, so I'll stay around 330whp

OP
OP

sliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Eco
I just met someone today and he informed me that the piston and piston rods in the ecoboost engine aren’t that high quality.

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or the block. It's a thin casted open deck design, with very little ribbing around cylinders 2 and 3 on the turbo side. That's not to say that it can't make or take power though.

OP
OP

sliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Eco
How much horsepower is ecoboost producing if it’s pushing 330 to the wheels? The engine being thin casted means that the engine isn’t very durable I’m guessing

Sponsored

OP
OP

sliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Eco
Wouldn’t this require a upgrade on the stock turbo? To run those numbers

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Really don't have any knowledge on this subject, but this motor already impresses the heck out of me. High horse power low displacement, light weight, good fuel economy, in stock form, with 12 sec. Quarter miles times with mods. Aint life great

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really don't have any knowledge on this subject, but this motor already impresses the heck out of me. High horse power low displacement, light weight, good fuel economy, in stock form, with 12 sec. Quarter miles times with mods. Aint life great

It is!
I am in the process of getting a commuter so I can park this car during the bad weather days.

Sponsored
OP
OP

sliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Eco
I agree this engine is fantastic for what it is but Curiosity on what this engine can do without damaging the engine makes me curious. There’s a Mercedes Gla I believe a crossover it also has a i4 engine but produces 375 horsepower in the crank so I got curious on how much can the eco boost engine handle

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An update! Sitting around 425 whp or so and lost a head gasket running Methonal with a hiccup. FBO w/Nx2.

Rough start up and a little white smoke. Losing coolant (about a pint a week) and a cooling pressure test shows 1.5 psi drop after 5 hrs with 20 psi pumped up.

Cylinder #1/3 missfires. Head is getting pulled for some updates and inspection.

A little story. I stepped on the car hard WITH Methonal and it bucked and went pop..pop....bang, POP. Check engine light came on and a wrench light. I barely got it home in limp mode.
I cleared the codes and it fired right up.
Still threw a Evap code and random missfires, so I replaced new plugs with new plugs and the purge and Evap solenoid. The car ran good for a few days. I even took it on a road trip. The coolant was low and it started throwing random missfire codes for the first 100 revolutions and missfires for cylinder 3.

The engine survided though! No more Methonal.. going back to E30 mix or E85 upgrade. I will use the injection pump on a base 92 tune with 50/50 for cleaning and saftey.

Black9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
If you plan on leaning hard on this you should stud the block and remove balance shaft...probably a good idea to at least the balance shaft delete.

Black9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
True on the knock, best gas, best oil rated for lspi and proper heat range and gapped plugs.....
Sponsored