Sponsored

Sirius XM, Pandora, Spotify etcetera

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
For those with a Premium model, i.e. with Sync 3, Sirius and such, do you use Sirius or an alternative like Pandora or Spotify?

If you use a streaming service, how are you connecting it to your Ford Mustang GT Premium, exactly?

In a few other threads, it appears more and more people are retiring Sirius.
And thus I am also considering it, but, want to know how to connect the other streaming choices.

I am guessing via Bluetooth. But, that means handling all the controls via a smartphone, no?
Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Only reason for Sirius these days is Stern or news. I've seen people say the Sync 3 Sirius app is better than the native Sirius because of better audio quality.

While Sync has an AT&T LTE connection it can't use it for itself so a phone is required. But it can be connected by Bluetooth or Android Auto or Apple Car Play.

My problem is I like the OEM navigation and the Android Auto media but they can't work at the same time.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I had Sirius for a long time but I finally got tired of the horrible quality. The sound quality is really just terrible.

I switched to Spotify Premium and I am so much happier with it. Quality is excellent, I can choose specific songs, listen to top 50 charts, chose a song or artist radio, etc. I couldn't be happier with the service to be honest. I've found way more new music using Spotify than Sirius and Pandora combined.

If you have Android Auto (or Apple CarPlay, I think) you can hook up your phone via USB. All of Spotify's controls will come up on your Mustang's screen and you can control it from there. Some features are missing for driving safety but you can open up the app on your phone and control it that way too if you like.

If you don't have a device that can do Android Auto or CarPlay then you will have to work the main controls on your phone screen and use Bluetooth. That being said the Next/Prev track buttons on the car should still work via Bluetooth so you wouldn't need to touch your phone for those commands.

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
I use Sirius to listen to the NFL channel almost daily. When I want to listen to music, I usually switch to my USB stick loaded with flac files. I swear, SiriusXM sounds better in our 2013 Honda Odyssey than it does in my Premium GT.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
A decade ago, and for decades previous, I was a loyal Stern fan. I also listen to a lot of Dead. Sirius was perfect. Then I realized a) Stern was getting old, could only listen to him postulating about anal for so long, and b)The music on phone sounded better. Never looked back. The $4.99 for Pandora is worth every cent and then some. Like it so much, bought stock in the company.

Sponsored

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
if you got sirius you wont need the app at all because the car will stream it like normal

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
if you got sirius you wont need the app at all because the car will stream it like normal
For Sirius music the audio quality isn't so great so the app is better. Although it may depend on the individual channel. The free version of Pandora even sounds better.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
A decade ago, and for decades previous, I was a loyal Stern fan. I also listen to a lot of Dead. Sirius was perfect. Then I realized a) Stern was getting old, could only listen to him postulating about anal for so long, and b)The music on phone sounded better. Never looked back. The $4.99 for Pandora is worth every cent and then some. Like it so much, bought stock in the company.
His interviews are really amazing. I think they have gotten even better over the past decade. Oh, and don't forget the phony phone calls to Tradio! But then there are still stretches when the show can get a bit juvenile.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
Used to be a huge Sirius/XM fan (started with XM in 02). Ditched it last year for Google Play Music. Downloads stations offline on my phone and with Android Auto it's as easy to control as anything. I can even hit the voice button and say play XXX song and she will play it.

I've had the Mustang a month and a half and if I listened to an hour of Sirius that's a lot.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I use Spotify via Bluetooth because I can't stand the car nagging at me about safety when its hooked up with USB.

I'd rather go to a rock fight than listen to Sirius on these cars, the sound quality is utter garbage and it drops out a lot where I live.

I can't use the regular radio any more because my dashcam introduced a ton of static into the system when I hardwired it so spotify it is.

Sponsored

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Impact Blue Ecoboost
I use Spotify via Android Auto-allows choosing a playlist, browsing when stopped, keeps me off the phone and legal in this area. I have had too many problems with the bluetooth connectivity in this car to argue with it anymore, mount the phone, plug it in, Android auto comes up, can play Spotify while taking advantage of Waze. just my 2 cents

Last edited:

MetalCord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I use Sirius exclusively for long trips and only when I'm feeling tired. I'll usually put on a political talk show and I'll stay awake because the subject being discussed pisses me off. When I want to actually listen to music, I access my USB drive that has my entire music library on it. The quality is consistent and I don't have to worry about data use or signal strength. That and I refuse to use streaming services like Spotify for personal reasons. The commands for using USB are intuitive and have always been reliable for me. "Play album Hardwired to self destruct" or "play artist Killswitch Engage". It works just about everytime and the sound quality is as good as the stereo can play it. I'll echo everyone else's sentiment about Sirius sound quality being simply awful.

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I listen to Sirius quite often, but I'm using the app. Listening via the stock radio, the quality is just too terrible. I use Spotify via Carplay or Android Auto. I also keep my iPod in the car as well for another audio source.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Only reason for Sirius these days is Stern or news. I've seen people say the Sync 3 Sirius app is better than the native Sirius because of better audio quality.

While Sync has an AT&T LTE connection it can't use it for itself so a phone is required. But it can be connected by Bluetooth or Android Auto or Apple Car Play.

My problem is I like the OEM navigation and the Android Auto media but they can't work at the same time.
Only the 401a packages get the ability to have data services. I was bummed a little bit to find that out after I got mine but not a huge deal. I created a tasker profile that turns on my phones hotspot when it detects SYNC BT and turns it off when it loses connection.
Sponsored