OP
OP

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 'Hellbat'
Civic Type R is one of ugliest cars on the road nowadays, sorry. It is the pinnacle of disgrace and infamy in automotive design.
Car design is entirely subjective, like any sort of art. I understand any argument yielded against it (Believe me, I refused to buy the car unless it was white or black to hide some of the less 'finer' angles). Otherwise, the car has been given tons of respect. It's pretty special, just in a different light than something like the GT350. Of course, plenty of people in the party have ruined the car for me. Ridiculous wheels. Colors. Etc. My car is all black/tinted windows, no mods. That being said, when I owned the GT, it was the same way. You'd see ridiculous BS with Mustangs. But that's car culture for you.
Sponsored

GrabberBootyBlue88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I found a 2018 Kona Blue with black stripes for $61,600 out the door no markup. Not getting it though, out of state tax and fees and shit it's too expensive for me right now. If total price after all of that was ~60k I could afford it, but 70k total is passed my budget. Going to wait 2 years for my Infiniti's lease to finish and probably get a 2019 then. :headbang:
Even if you pay more taxes from purchase out of state compare to CA taxes, you will get it back when you register your car in CA. I bought my Grabber "Booty" Blue from Idaho with 6% sales tax, but added 2.15% being registered here in Vegas. $68K is still better than $80K local MSRP.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I need to give a bit of a backstory to everyone. I'm a car enthusiast first. I'm not a brand loyalist and chase the experience of owning the car. I love going fast, but don't believe it should be the only thing that matters. Back on topic.

I owned a 2017 Mustang GT PP in lighting blue. I unfortunately lost it in a Hurricane while driving (long story) but totaled it. I cried my eyes out. While I was attempting to trade the car in for a future on order M2. I spent about a month looking for cars, driving SS2,M3, M4, F Type, Cayman while also looking for a Civic Type R and reconsidering another Mustang(I did not drive all these cars, but literally my list was about 30-40 cars long). My old Mustang, Kal (Named it after Superman) saved my life. I left without a scratch. I was all over the place until a dealership called me, willing to sell me a black Civic Type R at MSRP.

So, my current car is a Civic Type R. I absolutely love it. I adore it to the end of the Earth. I get so many compliments on it. Quite a lot of stares daily and it is unique. I know there is about 2 or 3 in the area I live. Regardless, for whatever reason, I've been looking at the GT350. My Mustang had a lot of soul in it. It was just 'different'. I've read reviews daily and it's something I've 'loosely' considered maybe in the near future 6-12 months range. I feel like I'm in love with two women, with no real negativity (well, the both have small fuel range, and that's annoying).

Feel free to share your thoughts. I'm sure plenty of people will want to bash the Type R here. How does the GT350 handle? What are your thoughts? Anyone who has driven multiple cars? How does it feel to a PP GT? Share away. I appreciate it. My wife has already rolled her eyes and thought about shooting me. As for financials, it's made me consider going after a Cayman. Especially with GT350 prices being as high as they are.
You just got a '17 Type R and now want a GT350? :shrug:
Totally different cars. Type R will undoubtedly be easier to live with day to day. The GT350 is harsh riding and mpg's will be a lot worse and and is a lot more money (unless you were one of those that paid huge ADM on the Type-R).

If you've got the money to lose/spend, go for it. If you don't, then it's a pretty dumb move. I think the Type-R is awesome and is a much lighter car. The looks are too over the top though.

I'm sure the GT350 is awesome. I've never driven one. I just would never spend $50-60K on a car that I mostly drive weekends. I certainly wouldn't to commute in the daily grind with one. My GT PP has suspensions mods and a blower and was barely over $30K slightly used all mods included. Not a 350 but it sure doesn't feel bouncy and handles well enough for me and sounds insane. And I could easily write a check for it.

Last edited:

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Totally different cars. Type R will undoubtedly be easier to live with day to day. The GT350 is harsh riding and mpg's will be a lot worse and and is a lot more money (unless you were one of those that paid huge ADM on the Type-R).

If you've got the money to lose/spend, go for it. If you don't, then it's a pretty dumb move. I think the Type-R is awesome and is a much lighter car. The looks are too over the top though.

I'm sure the GT350 is awesome. I've never driven one. I just would never spend $50-60K on a car that I mostly drive weekends. I certainly wouldn't to commute in the daily grind with one. My GT PP has suspensions mods and a blower and was barely over $30K slightly used all mods included. Not a 350 but it sure doesn't feel bouncy and handles well enough for me and sounds insane. And I could easily write a check for it.
Changing cars is never a dumb move. If you say that, you are not a true car enthusiast. It's only money. If you have never driven a GT350, you can't comment, sorry :)

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Changing cars is never a dumb move. If you say that, you are not a true car enthusiast. It's only money. If you have never driven a GT350, you can't comment, sorry :)
Yeah pretty funny reading someone who has never driven a car calling it "harsh riding".

Sponsored

GrabberBootyBlue88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Hahaha. Advising people on a car you don't own, yet haven't driven is a no-go. But based on reviews of the CTR, it is also bouncy compare to the mid-trim level CSi. Guess another thing CTR and GT350 have in common other than ADM. I'm really thinking of getting a CTR within the next few months. I wonder how well it'll handle the canyon run I take my GT350 on.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Totally different cars.
Agreed on this point. I would think front or mid engine rear drive vehicles would be the only choices for a driving enthusiast. However, I have seen good reviews of the Civic Type R. I'm not interested in it myself so I don't know a whole lot.

I just would never spend $50-60K on a car that I mostly drive weekends. I certainly wouldn't to commute in the daily grind with one. My GT PP has suspensions mods and a blower and was barely over $30K slightly used all mods included. Not a 350 but it sure doesn't feel bouncy and handles well enough for me and sounds insane. And I could easily write a check for it.
I don't have enough money to spend that kind of money on a weekend car either. But for me the GT350 is perfect as a daily driver. The suspension is firm, but also very compliant.

You make your choice sound appealing financially - as long as the boost doesn't shorten the longevity of other components of the car. Constantly fixing a daily driver is a real PITA and it's not for me. I ran modded Foxes for quite a few years so I know what it's like. I remember one 6 month long build that I just had perfect when the car got totaled. It was parked on the side of the street at the time. Just try to get insurance to pay a good price for your modded daily driver. That experience is what ruined the idea of daily driving a modified vehicle for me. Also, modifying a car definitely lowers the value of it. Really there's no winning financially with cars. It's just a decision of where you will spend your money and how much of it. I know my car is a pretty high financial priority for me; right behind the retirement savings and house.

If I were a 1/4 mile guy I would probably have something like you do. I prefer turning corners though.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Agreed on this point. I would think front or mid engine rear drive vehicles would be the only choices for a driving enthusiast. However, I have seen good reviews of the Civic Type R. I'm not interested in it myself so I don't know a whole lot.

I don't have enough money to spend that kind of money on a weekend car either. But for me the GT350 is perfect as a daily driver. The suspension is firm, but also very compliant.

You make your choice sound appealing financially - as long as the boost doesn't shorten the longevity of other components of the car. Constantly fixing a daily driver is a real PITA and it's not for me. I ran modded Foxes for quite a few years so I know what it's like. I remember one 6 month long build that I just had perfect when the car got totaled. It was parked on the side of the street at the time. Just try to get insurance to pay a good price for your modded daily driver. That experience is what ruined the idea of daily driving a modified vehicle for me. Also, modifying a car definitely lowers the value of it. Really there's no winning financially with cars. It's just a decision of where you will spend your money and how much of it. I know my car is a pretty high financial priority for me; right behind the retirement savings and house.

If I were a 1/4 mile guy I would probably have something like you do. I prefer turning corners though.
My GT isn’t my DD. Work from home and also have a beater for dog hauling..etc. My insurance on the GT is cheap.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My GT isn’t my DD. Work from home and also have a beater for dog hauling..etc. My insurance on the GT is cheap.
My insurance on my old Fox Mustang was cheap as well, but my point was that after an accident all the labor investment in a modified vehicle is lost. Basically you have to buy it back and remove the components yourself, buy another vehicle and install the custom stuff on the new vehicle. Lots of your time down the drain - or money if you pay someone to do it for you.

Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
but my point was that after an accident all the labor investment in a modified vehicle is lost. Basically you have to buy it back and remove the components yourself, buy another vehicle and install the custom stuff on the new vehicle. Lots of your time down the drain - or money if you pay someone to do it for you.
Or.......I could find another low mileage used vehicle like mine where the previous owner paid to have everything installed: Whipple, exhaust, springs, sway bars, tint. He must have had $45K invested in the car w/labor. Only mods I've done are wheels and lockout kit. So I've invested very little time/$.

And since it's a weekend car, I'm not that worried about getting into an accident.

I love corners too and fling my GT around crazy exit ramps all the time and it sticks pretty well. Maybe not GT350 well but I'm plenty happy. And when I hit the gas coming out of the corners, it's like travelling into space, all for less than the price of a Camry V6.

Last edited:

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
No one doubts you love your GT, and I'm sure it's a great car. As a person who has never owned a Mustang or any muscle car, I can tell you even a GT never crossed my mind. The list of cars that's naturally aspirated spitting out over 500hp is very small. Viper is out of production, GT3 is 2-3x the cost, and exotics. In my opinion, forced induction is a dime a dozen. That's everyone's go to for power whether you're a manufacturer or aftermarket.

Your car may have a cheaper initial cost, but in the end, you take a bath on depreciation. I've lost less than $2000 in value in 2 years/15k miles.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my opinion, forced induction is a dime a dozen. That's everyone's go to for power whether you're a manufacturer or aftermarket.
There's a reason for it. Low end Torque. Lots of people like it.

Your car may have a cheaper initial cost, but in the end, you take a bath on depreciation. I've lost less than $2000 in value in 2 years/15k miles.
LMAO. SURE you have. Because you have a check for $2K less than what you paid, right? Wishful thinking in the most classical terms. When the GT500 comes out, the GT350s will depreciate even more.

I don't plan to sell anytime soon, but I'm sure I'll take a major bath on a Whippled GT PP w/Recaros with 7K mi on it that I paid $31,500. I mean I'll have to sell it for $22K, right?

GT350 is a great car. But the reality is that the power is up high and it's no faster than a regular GT (or negligibly faster). In real world driving, that matters to some people. But if it's worth $60K to some folks and they can easily afford one, more power to you.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
There's a reason for it. Low end Torque. Lots of people like it.

LMAO. SURE you have. Because you have a check for $2K less than what you paid, right? Wishful thinking in the most classical terms. When the GT500 comes out, the GT350s will depreciate even more.

I don't plan to sell anytime soon, but I'm sure I'll take a major bath on a Whippled GT PP w/Recaros with 7K mi on it that I paid $31,500. I mean I'll have to sell it for $22K, right?

GT350 is a great car. But the reality is that the power is up high and it's no faster than a regular GT (or negligibly faster). In real world driving, that matters to some people. But if it's worth $60K to some folks and they can easily afford one, more power to you.
Let's not ignore the fact that new car depreciation is heaviest the first 3 years. You bought your car used, that means the previous owner took a bath, you didn't. Good for you. I may not have a check in my hand for the cars value, but it doesn't mean the numbers are any less valid.

OP
OP

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 'Hellbat'
Truly, cars are a HORRIBLE investment. But I love cars. I'll always love cars. I read about cars daily, and will never be segmented/stuck to one group.

Hahaha. Advising people on a car you don't own, yet haven't driven is a no-go. But based on reviews of the CTR, it is also bouncy compare to the mid-trim level CSi. Guess another thing CTR and GT350 have in common other than ADM. I'm really thinking of getting a CTR within the next few months. I wonder how well it'll handle the canyon run I take my GT350 on.
Bouncy? It doesn't feel bouncy. I think the GT PP and GT were FAR worse. I can't compare the GT350. The body roll in corners is minimal and the grip is great. I've had my A/S tires on since the second week I've bought it. I haven't experienced a hot summer yet in the CTR.

More than likely, going to hold off. The love for the CTR is too great and the cost measures are too high to justify to my wife. House is a must at this point.
Sponsored