Sponsored

Mustang GT v. my new Focus RS

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Not sure I understand what you mean by the Focus RS does not put out 350hp unless you force it. .
I am very sorry to be the bearer of this news or maybe you know and don't mind:

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/16-focus-rs-performance/5473-how-overboost-works.html

Overboost works on via a counting mechanism. You only get 350hp for short bursts of time(~20 seconds). Ford also states this directly. As soon as I read this I pretty much just wrote the platform off because I don't want to lose a warranty for retuning to remove the overboost function just to get the advertised hp. Correct me if this is not the case, but this was a big deal for me.

That being said man, even with these issues, the chassis is world class. The issues can be addressed but it felt contradictory for me to choose a car based off practicality that I know I am going to void the warranty on.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I am very sorry to be the bearer of this news:

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/16-focus-rs-performance/5473-how-overboost-works.html

Overboost works on via a counting mechanism. You only get 350hp for short bursts of time(~20 seconds). Ford also states this directly. As soon as I read this I pretty much just wrote the platform off because I don't want to lose a warranty for retuning to remove the overboost function just to get the advertised hp.

That being said man, even with these issues, the chassis is world class. The issues can be addressed.
20 seconds is a long time. Talk to us about the last time you applied peak power for 20 seconds or more in a car with over 300 hp.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
20 seconds is a long time. Talk to us about the last time you applied peak power for 20 seconds or more in a car with over 300 hp.
Then you have to wait another 20 seconds whether you took advantage of the full 20 second duration or not. When is the last time you bought a road course car that only needed to go full throttle every 20 to 40 seconds?

The duration isn't the issue, it's the regulation of the frequency in which it is applied that bothers me, and well most Focus RS owners according to their forums.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I am very sorry to be the bearer of this news or maybe you know and don't mind:

Overboost works on via a counting mechanism. You only get 350hp for short bursts of time(~20 seconds). Ford also states this directly. As soon as I read this I pretty much just wrote the platform off because I don't want to lose a warranty for retuning to remove the overboost function just to get the advertised hp. Correct me if this is not the case, but this was a big deal for me.

That being said man, even with these issues, the chassis is world class. The issues can be addressed but it felt contradictory for me to choose a car based off practicality that I know I am going to void the warranty on.
I followed the RS back before it came out and had a deposit on a 2016 until the dealer tried to apply a $5K ADM and I ended up in an Golf R.

I am familar with overboost, but I doubt it would ever really affect me unless I was on a track that had very long straights. If you look at RS track times they are consistent and put up numbers that align with the advertised power to weight ratio. I just don't see it as an issue for me.

My previous car to the RS was a 2016 Corvette Z51 so just about everything feels slow to me :)

What I love about the RS is how nimble it is and how well it handles. Since I deal with rain/snow for most of the year it is fun to have a slow car I can drive fast that has very good handling and does very well in bad conditions vs a fast car that I have to drive slow due to lack of traction and/or too much power going to just two wheels.

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
Smart choice for your needs and helluva fun car.

Nothing but respect for the Focus RS.

Enjoy!

Sponsored

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Always liked the RS but man those seats are aggressive.

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
THIS!
And if your running the car in such situtations (extensive road course running) then you've already lost your power train warranty anyway.... so tune it.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
THIS!
And if your running the car in such situtations (extensive road course running) then you've already lost your power train warranty anyway.... so tune it.
HPDE does not lose your warranty. You just have to adhere to the high/severe maintenance.

Timed racing events I'd imagine would.

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
The concept of the RS sounds great to me and I did consider buying one for a while. I will be waiting for the next gen RS though on the new Focus platform. Power on the stock tune and the dampening will almost assuredly both be better on the next Focus RS. I don't want to have to mod and tune an RS.

I didn't want to have to mod my GT either, but the 15-17 GTs do leave a lot to be desired that the '18s fixed. The mods in my sig are all I needed to fix this car.

B4Sunrise

Team play is essential
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Went to buy a 2018 GT with PP. Then my petite wife (5'3" sat in the back). Her head was less than an inch from the rear window glass and that kind of freaked her out. Why not sit up front? - because my string bean 13 year old boy may have to ride with us some time and he is taller than her. I was kind of surprised - there is more headroom in the back of my 2011 GT. So the 2018 Mustang was not looked upon favorably.

So I took a lap around the parking lot and saw a 2018 Nitrous Blue RS. The dealer was asking 15K over sticker plus $500 for "Protection Plus" and Door Edge Guards:lol:

So I said $500 under invoice and I'm not paying for your add-ons. After a little pushing, I stood firm and now this is in my garage:

[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

It's not the torque monster that the Mustang GT is, but it has four doors so it works for the family. It handles great, great stereo, love the Recaros, and 350hp and tq aint too shabby for a hot hatch. And that's coming from a guy who has had nothing but V8s since 1990.

And I'm still in this family::ford: And more Specifically Ford Performance:headbang:

Big Change from an LSX454 Vette:
[/url][/IMG]

But when I'm stuck on the I-15 in stop and go traffic, the RS will do just fine.

FYI - the performance package GT with the 6 speed is a great car - I test drove it - i'm jealous of you 18 GT Owners - but the back seat is for small kids or dwarfs
I have not been in to check out the 2018 Mustang's however I own a 2016 and at 5'10" I can sit back there, my daughter is 5'3" and she has plenty of room, like 6-7" of room. For me yes I have to put my head all the way back. Still I am shocked a 2018 is that different.

Sponsored

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
I have not been in to check out the 2018 Mustang's however I own a 2016 and at 5'10" I can sit back there, my daughter is 5'3" and she has plenty of room, like 6-7" of room. For me yes I have to put my head all the way back. Still I am shocked a 2018 is that different.
I am 5'11 and I cannot sit up straight in the backseat. I have to either lean to the side or crank my neck to the side.

Everyone has different torso lengths, even if you are the same height as somebody. Someone with a longer torso at your height is not going to sit up normally in the backseat.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
My youngest, who is 5'4" fits in the back fine. Everyone else in my house would be pretty cramped at 5'7" or above, but could do it for shorter durations (e.g. no long trips).

With that said, the RS is a great car. My son has an ST - and it feels pretty sprightly with less HP and front wheel drive. I've test driven an RS and it was quiet a bit of fun.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I think I just saw the first one on the road the other day. It was the light blue and really stood out. Not a color for me and an auto would have to be an option before I'd consider one.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The concept of the RS sounds great to me and I did consider buying one for a while. I will be waiting for the next gen RS though on the new Focus platform. Power on the stock tune and the dampening will almost assuredly both be better on the next Focus RS. I don't want to have to mod and tune an RS.

I didn't want to have to mod my GT either, but the 15-17 GTs do leave a lot to be desired that the '18s fixed. The mods in my sig are all I needed to fix this car.
Looking at this, the next gen RS may not be available, so now may be your only chance...

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102414

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Lol. Like what? If you want a manual,25hp?
Sponsored