Hood corrosion

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Just wondering, did anyone had a successful repair on this corrosion issue without replacing the hood? I kinda bothers me that I can not keep the car original since the dealership immediately said they will replace the hood!
My understanding is the problem is iron deposits embedded in the aluminum. Any repair would be temporary.
Sponsored

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
I'm welcoming myself to the club, I guess. My service advisor told me to bring it in so they can take pictures and send them to Ford. Didn't even question me.
IMG_6516a.jpg
IMG_6517a.jpg

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I'm welcoming myself to the club, I guess. My service advisor told me to bring it in so they can take pictures and send them to Ford. Didn't even question me.
Mine is in the exact same place, passenger side, a few inches front of hinge assembly. Also 1/3 of the way back from passenger headlight.

And welcome to the club, mine goes in next week for new hood, the hood was on backorder.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I haven't had corrosion come back on my hood since it was repaired last year. Anyone have it return in a spot that was repaired? *knocking on wood*

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is in the exact same place, passenger side, a few inches front of hinge assembly. Also 1/3 of the way back from passenger headlight.

And welcome to the club, mine goes in next week for new hood, the hood was on backorder.
I had the service manager take pictures and submit it to Ford yesterday. They approved me for a new hood today. They're gonna order it tomorrow and let me know how long it takes. I have an American Muscle vinyl decal on there, wonder if they'll work with me on a replacement price since this kinda sucks and isn't my fault :doh:

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Add my car to the list of having hood corrosion. Mine is on the drivers side leading edge

Fleco17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josr
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt
Seems to be very common issue not just on mustangs. My brother took his in to be repainted, under warranty. Came out worse, with sand under the paint, runs, and even bugs in it. He just ordered a hood with a cowl and getting it painted. to

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
9 days in the shop for a new hood....UGH! Still dont have it...

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
They just got my hood in. I'm dropping it off Monday so they can paint match and all that. Said it shouldn't take more than 3 days. I wonder if I can take off the vents from the old hood and keep them since they're probably just gonna scrap it.

On a side note, American Muscle helped me out with the price on a replacement hood vinyl graphic. Great customer service by Jeff via email. Even was able to place the order for me (using gift card credit I had on account) and it literally was delivered in two days.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Body shop called today to let me know the new hood is painted and installed. Now they are waiting on the stripe to come in and will install that on 5/21.

I've got two questions:
1. Doesn't the paint have to outgas for 2-3 months before any wax/sealant/vinyl is installed?
2. The decal I had on there was not from Ford (this one). The body shop manager claims to have ordered the same "stripe" I had on there and it's all being covered under warranty. Has anyone had their non-oem or non-ford vinyl replaced after this kind of hood replacement?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here’s an additional TSB relating to panel corrosion if there is no “white dust” present:
https://ford.oemdtc.com/TSB/17-0062.pdf

Quoted from TSB:
ISSUE
Some 2000 and newer Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles equipped with aluminum body panels may exhibit corrosion concerns appearing as bubbled and/or peeling paint with or without accompanying white dust. Panel replacement is recommended.
Applies to:
FORD:
2000-2003 Ranger
2005-2006 Ford GT
2000-2007 Crown Victoria, Taurus
2007-2010 Explorer Sport Trac
2000-2017 Expedition
2002-2017 Explorer
2004-2017 F-150
2005-2017 Mustang
2013-2017 Fusion
2015-2017 Edge
2017 F-Super Duty

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
So they ordered a matte version of the decal I had on there. Body shop noticed it's slightly different than what I had and called me to verify if I still wanted it. I told them to put it in the trunk and I'll decide if I want to install it myself later. I didn't even know that Ford sells these...
https://accessories.ford.com/kit-decal-11071.html
s-l300.jpg

I also asked if I have to wait for the paint to cure/outgas before sealing/waxing and they said that it should be find to do it right away because they bake it after it's sprayed. I'll wait a few weeks anyways.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
So I picked up the car last Monday. It was raining and they parked it outside, so it was all wet which made it very hard to REALLY look at the paint. I spent a good 10 minutes going over all the edges and surface areas and it looked pretty good (aside from minor orange peel which I was planning on polishing out after it cured). Well, last night I finally had a chance to look at the car while it was dry, and this little gem popped out. I guess I'm taking it back to the dealership and going to be without my car for another week.

(The car is slightly dirty right now, that's all the black specs.)
IMG_7002s.jpg
Sponsored