Sponsored

Considering picking up an 18 GT

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
Hi fellas,

I'm strongly considering picking up an 18 GT in the coming days, after reading about the transmission and engine improvements it seems like the right time to pull the trigger. I'd be getting a manual base model w/ Ruby Red exterior. I'll immediately throw an MGW shifter in w/ new fluids just to keep things in line unless I feel like that's not necessary after driving a few hundred miles.

This will be my weekend car, not DD, at least for now. With that, I had a few concerns I was hoping you all could comment on.

1) Transmission improvements - Is it really as I'm reading across forums and blogs that the MT-82 is much improved? I had a 14 v6 manual that was so awful when I traded up to the 15 EBM, I got an auto. This time I really want the manual so I hope its worth it.

2) Sitting outside for days at a time - My current garaging situation would only afford me the opportunity to store the GT outside. How much of a bear is this going to be on my exterior overtime? I can do paint sealant/wax as often as necessary, I'm more worried about it sitting outside for days at a time. Is this a concern I should worry about? Perhaps a car cover for winter? ideas here? or am I just overthinking things

Any other things I should know? Already got an insurance quote and its going to be ridiculous but as is life.
Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
1. I think the stick is fine in my 16 GT. Not sure why people complain... o wait people like to complain. I get it now. For the 18’s they improved a few things so It’s better ( whatever better means )

2. You won’t be the 1st person to store there car outside. Just wax it a lot and you’ll be fine.

I would think NOW is not the best time to buy a 18 because they just came out and I would think most dealers are not gonna budge on price but hey you never know.

Good luck

OP
OP

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
1. I think the stick is fine in my 16 GT. Not sure why people complain... o wait people like to complain. I get it now. For the 18’s they improved a few things so It’s better ( whatever better means )

2. You won’t be the 1st person to store there car outside. Just wax it a lot and you’ll be fine.

I would think NOW is not the best time to buy a 18 because they just came out and I would think most dealers are not gonna budge on price but hey you never know.

Good luck
Thanks!

I can at least get xplan, maybe more it will depend. I've bought several cars from the sales lady I always come back to I'll have to see if she can get her manager to deal :)

PIsenhour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium Dark Matter Gray Metallic
Actually if you wanted a GT base you could get a really sweet deal on a '17 right now, but it not go for it. The rudy red is an excellent choice.
As for storing outside just keep it washed, by hand, and waxed regularly. Use a good wax and you will be fine.

OP
OP

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
Actually if you wanted a GT base you could get a really sweet deal on a '17 right now, but it not go for it. The rudy red is an excellent choice.
As for storing outside just keep it washed, by hand, and waxed regularly. Use a good wax and you will be fine.
Just now reading your post on yours, how unfortunate.

A 17 GT would be no issue, but I just don't have a lot of confidence in that MT82, which is why I am interested in the 18 that supposedly has improvements. Maybe I should go drive both and see. A 17 heavily discounted would be awesome..

Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I don't see why you would buy a weekend that you have to store outside during a Colorado Winter.

OP
OP

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
I don't see why you would buy a weekend that you have to store outside during a Colorado Winter.
(shrug) Because my other car needs to plug into a wall, and my roommate who parks next to me can't mind her doors that slam into the Fusion all the time.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
My point is "why buy it now"? Go test drive the new stick and auto a few times and buy in the spring IMO

OP
OP

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
My point is "why buy it now"? Go test drive the new stick and auto a few times and buy in the spring IMO
Ah fair, I mean, I intend to drive it in the winter, as long as there isn't snow. Like the cold days I'll definitely be driving it.

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
Buy a used GT. If you have a room mate I'm assuming you are renting? Save your money for a down payment on a condo and buy used. If I didn't own a house condo exc I probably wouldn't drop 40k on a depreciating asset that's going to sit outside in Colorado winters and potential future hail storms.

Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Just now reading your post on yours, how unfortunate.

A 17 GT would be no issue, but I just don't have a lot of confidence in that MT82, which is why I am interested in the 18 that supposedly has improvements. Maybe I should go drive both and see. A 17 heavily discounted would be awesome..
I just bought a '15 GT manual w/5500 mi. So far the manual is awesome. It's my weekend car as well.

gt4urass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Not sure he was looking for life advice, though what you offered was valid. If you want it, buy it. But I'd definitely at drive a few manuals before deciding.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Asking about the worries of leaving the vehicle outside justifies a little life advice. Seems to me the OP just needs and wants a little push and persuasion to pull the trigger. Go for it!
Sponsored