Sponsored

Custom Paint job. Opinions?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like your paint guy wants a really well done final product with the way he's doing the stripes. Would probably be a lot easier to just layer them on top of the Magnetic.

Make sure they put the rear window back on straight though!
Sponsored

OP
OP
scottmoyer

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
Looks great, can't wait for the finished pics!:headbang:

I heard something and i'm wondering if you can confirm. I heard that when you pull the rear quarter glass, that they aren't reusable, you have to replace them.

Bob
I spoke with the body shop manager about this to confirm. He said that the windows can be reused if they are removed correctly. The local glass company used a special tool to cut the seal from inside of the car. He said that SafeLite uses a rope saw, or hand tool that will damage the exterior trim molding and cracks the glass. Since one of the largest glass companies breaks them all the time, the general statement is they are one-time use.

My 1/4 windows were removed by a local glass company with no damage to the glass or the molding, so they can be cleaned up and reinstalled with new adhesive.

OP
OP
scottmoyer

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
Sounds like your paint guy wants a really well done final product with the way he's doing the stripes. Would probably be a lot easier to just layer them on top of the Magnetic.

Make sure they put the rear window back on straight though!
The body shop manager also mentioned that certain glass companies have caused a lot of water damaged vehicles by not putting the windows in straight, and also allows the owner to drive away within hours of a windshield install. He said the issue with that is the seal breaks when the body twists going in out of parking lots. Once that fresh seal breaks, you get leaks. He uses a glass company that requires the car not be driven for 24 hours to allow the adhesives to set up and cure for a strong bond.

Once he mentioned these issues, I now believe that they are going to do my car right.

Here's the red stripe! Unfortunately, the black stripe is also done, but it's masked off so I couldn't see it. The grey was being sprayed either this afternoon or Monday.
red_stripe.jpg

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
The car is in the paint booth and I helped the graphics person lay out the tape for the paint lines. The painter wants to paint this different than I'm used to, so I need to listen to him, since he's the professional. He wants each color to be the same thickness, so the grey might be 5 mils, the red will be 5 mils and the black will be 5 mils. He said there will be no feeling the painted edges under the clear.

My way would have been to paint the entire car grey, then mask off the red and black. He said doing it that way will give me 5 mils of grey and a total of 10 mils thickness on the red and black.

So, what you are looking at is two tape lines on the driver's side. The inside tape line will be removed to paint the top coat of black. After it sets up, he will reapply that inside tape line to the edge of the outside piece of tape, then remove the outside piece of tape to spray the grey. The passenger side is the same, but has tape laid out for the black edge, the red stripe and the grey stripe that separates the two. He has a lot of unmasking and remasking to do while painting.
Emergency last minute change make the red stripe YELLOW!!

Magnetic with black and yellow would be killer!!

Sponsored

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Looking good!

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
The interior is black with red stitching, so I added some red paint to my shift ball. I think it will tie in nicely.
This is exactly what I want to do to my shift knob, what did you use to get the red in there?

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I just want to say, while I didn't hate your original design, but this looks 100x better. Awesome stuff.

OP
OP
scottmoyer

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
This is exactly what I want to do to my shift knob, what did you use to get the red in there?
I taped off all of the leather and I just dabbed the red touch up paint brush all over the letters/numbers a little on the heavy side. I used one of the blue shop rags with some acetone and lightly wiped across the top to remove the excess paint. I let it tack up awhile and added a second heavy coat and cleaned it up the same way. Don't apply too much pressure when cleaning the excess paint of you'll pull it out of the letters/numbers.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Lookin good! What color are you going to have the hood vents? Black for accents or staying magnetic?

Sponsored
OP
OP
scottmoyer

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
The car is a California Special, so I plan on keeping the black vents to maintain some of what the car is.

OP
OP
scottmoyer

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
Got a shot of the rear, out of the paint booth. I do have to say that there is a lot of dirt in the paint, but it's mostly at the tape edge lines. I'm thinking that's to be expected when they keep removing the tape edge from one color to another. Once this is wet sanded and buffed, it should look awesome.
rearview_painted.jpg

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Very nice :thumbsup:

SteedaGT

Threads