Sponsored

Pls see Photo- possible top problem - UPDATE

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
I was drying the car today, and had the trunk open when I looked in and saw what appeared to be black box hanging down, just below the top mechanism on the left side. I checked and there is one on the right side, but it is secured and lays flat against the sheet metal. So, I tried snapping the left one into place, but it would not reach the holes. I lowered the top and sure enough it became loose. It appears to have two pieces of webbed material running up into the car. I snapped it place and it held, until I put the top up and with a sound bang was pulled out of the front attaching holes. Here is a photo of the part. Does anyone know what this is.

I plan to take it to the dealer, but they are 40 miles away and it is winter. If it is nothing serious, I will wait for Spring. Thanks in advance for any information.
Black Box Trunk.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
SDEcoBoost

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: I crawled into the trunk and saw the part has locating pins and two screw holes. There are corresponding holes in the sheet metal. I checked the one on the other side and it also has not been screwed into position, just snapped in.

Can someone look at their part, and let me know if they are screwed in. If so, I can do the fix and not involve the dealer. Thanks!

OP
OP
SDEcoBoost

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've noticed these plastic gismos too but never thought they were part of the convertible top.
Really strange, both parts become loose when the top is down. I am not sure where the webbing material goes since it is all sheet metal. I am curious why there are screw holes in the part(s) and the sheet metal, but neither is screwed in. I managed to get the one, in the photo, to stay in place this afternoon, but I am not sure it will hold. Most likely not problem while the top is up as they are pulled tight.

OP
OP
SDEcoBoost

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE #2: I traced the webbing from the plastic piece in the trunk to the inside of the car. The webbing attaches to the bottom edge of the convertible top, on both sides. I would "assume" it helps stabilize the top while in the up position. Now I need to determine if they need to be screwed in. Here are photos taken over the top of the back seat.
Top webbing1.jpg
Top webbing2.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
SDEcoBoost

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my 2017 has the same issue. I will be calling the dealer next week. I will provide feedback.
Thanks. I would appreciate the feed back. I really do not want to take her out in the weather, to much salt on the roads. If it is simply screws missing. I can handle that.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I noticed mine were "let go" shortly after I purchased. I snapped them back into position and haven't had an issue since. I remember there being some tension on these straps, but cant really remember if I reattached while fully up, fully down or somewhere in the middle.......:shrug:

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
You got my curiosity up! This weekend, I will craw into my trunk and examine them.

If you do not hear back from me by Sunday night, send help! I am trapped and can't get out!

BTW...I used the holiday to attach the rear mudflaps and dead pedal.

I will wait for 60-80 degree day to attach the front ones-too much hassle with the space heater in a cold garage.

CVCashmere

I noticed mine were "let go" shortly after I purchased. I snapped them back into position and haven't had an issue since. I remember there being some tension on these straps, but cant really remember if I reattached while fully up, fully down or somewhere in the middle.......:shrug:

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th anaversery GT, 2019 Golf R
Vehicle Showcase
You got my curiosity up! This weekend, I will craw into my trunk and examine them.

If you do not hear back from me by Sunday night, send help! I am trapped and can't get out!

BTW...I used the holiday to attach the rear mudflaps and dead pedal.

I will wait for 60-80 degree day to attach the front ones-too much hassle with the space heater in a cold garage.

CVCashmere
:lol::lol:

Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible

CVCashmere
Just a preview......:thumbsup:

maxresdefault.jpg

OP
OP
SDEcoBoost

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reference your splash guards. I have been using Jaeger Brothers for many years, without a problem. Easy on, easy off for washing and waxing. No screws. I moved them from my '15 to the '17 at the dealers, in less then 5 minutes. Here is link to their site.

http://jaegerbrothersauto.com/auto-parts/2015-2018 Mustang Splash Guards, Full Set_637.html

Hopefully, all those supplies you have will last until help arrives to get you out, but it may be a little tight in the trunk. :)

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I had to fix one of mine the other week. My car had a new top put on prior to delivery, as there was a flaw in the top stitching somewhere on it. In any event, I am sure that the top shop broke one of the little tabs off (the ones to the rear of the car), either while removing or replacing. I found it hanging down and put it back in but when the top is down (and no tension on the strap) I'm sure vibration made it drop out. I found, as the OP did, that there are holes in the plastic that happen to line up with holes in the sheet metal. I put the top part way down so I had slack and started a screw, with washer, and then put the top up to get the strap in tension and thereafter tightened the screw. Problem solved, in about ten minutes, without losing the car to the dealer for a day (or more, when they find they have to order the part).

lathamb

EcoBoost_Vert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost
Thanks. I would appreciate the feed back. I really do not want to take her out in the weather, to much salt on the roads. If it is simply screws missing. I can handle that.
dealer replaced the plastic tabs under warranty

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I just checked mine and the left side was down and snapped it back in.
Sponsored