Sponsored

6’4” first HPDE event helmet clearance

DesertStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic 5.0 PP Recaros
I was super excited leading up to my first hpde event on saturday... until i got the helmet I would be using provided by my friend and got in my car for a test fit... I cant seem to find a position that would put me in an acceptable driving position, other than doing a turtle and just jutting my head forward... what do you other tall gentlemen do to fix this issue, I would imagine anyone over 6’2” would have this issue... also in recaro seats btw.
Sponsored

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'm also 6'4" and I have the seat all the way down. Other than that, it's reclined a little tiny bit more than I'd like, but I don't change it to drive on the street every day so it's not too bad. I'm definitely more legs than upper body, I think.

I don't think the GT350 has different Recaros, other than the material covering them...

S550MG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550
I'm the same height as you and I also have my first track coming up soon. Now you got me all scared I ain't gonna fit, lol.

Actually, I think I'll have enough room. My normal seating position is all the way down and almost all the way back. It's not reclined like crazy but it is resting on the rear seat bottom. I have a couple inches clearance as I sit now.

My helmet will be here Tuesday so we'll see. Fingers crossed!

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'm 6'4" too. I have my Recaros all the way down and my helmet will just barely touch the roof. For me it was all about adjusting the seat the best I could and really sinking into the seat. I've never had a problem once I get out on track.

OP
OP

DesertStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm 6'4" too. I have my Recaros all the way down and my helmet will just barely touch the roof. For me it was all about adjusting the seat the best I could and really sinking into the seat. I've never had a problem once I get out on track.

Thas good to hear, i set up my seat further forward, with more lean back and telescoped the wheel and kinda slouched in the seat, but very little lower back support now, but for 20 min sessions I should be alright, its def not optimal though

Sponsored

rodhx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Premium
Depends on body proportions. My sons are 6'5" & 6'6" and they fit fine in my EBPP with helmets on and with good seating position.

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
I am 6'7" with a 34" inseam, in other words, I am all back.

I bought the Mustang because head room wasn't an issue, that is until I got a helmet for track days. It's still not a huge issue. I recline the seat a few clicks more than I do for street driving. I than actually have to move the seat up just a bit so my arms aren't straight to the steering wheel. My knees bend just fine, my neck not so much.

I have the stock cloth seats.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Unless it is really bad, once you are on track you will not notice it.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Unless it is really bad, once you are on track you will not notice it.
Depends on how much you have to compromise your seating position. Remember it matters a lot more in a 20 minute track session than a 1 minute autocross run.

Aftermarket seats and lower mounts are the long term solution if the car sees a lot of track time.

Long torso 6'4".

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
With the race car there was helmet to roll bar interference so I went with more incline on the Kirkey 58LW and made an extension for the steering wheel quick connect to get the Momo closer to me so my arms were not so extended. Never did autocross, only 25 min SARRC sprints and 40 min Pro IT races.

Sponsored

LHousePhoto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lhousephotography.com
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT Premium - Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
I had no clearance issues while wearing a helmet. I can't sit as far forward as I would like, but that's the case even without a helmet. On open track and autocross though, I never felt uncomfortable with the helmet. I do however have to put the helmet on/take it off inside the car. I can't get in and out while wearing it.

6'4", 320ish pound driver, no Recaro's.

OP
OP

DesertStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends on how much you have to compromise your seating position. Remember it matters a lot more in a 20 minute track session than a 1 minute autocross run.

Aftermarket seats and lower mounts are the long term solution if the car sees a lot of track time.

Long torso 6'4".

If I end up taking the car to the track more frequently I may look into the lower brackets and different seat options... the driving position is not optimal but I have been driving it around like this for a few days to try and get used to the seating position.. its starting to feel more comfortable.. but we will see how it goes on Saturday.

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
6'3" here and it's a tight fit but I make it work. The S550 is on the larger side of cars. I would be honestly interested in cars that have more room. You could install buckets a little lower - or maybe take the trim off the roof for a *bit* more room?
Sponsored