Sponsored

Has anyone here had problems opening up the headlights? Will a heat gun work?

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
I know there are few guides/videos out there and lots of success stories, so I know it's possible, but I got a quote for a guy to do my multicolor fogs and headlights for $600 CDN. Think that's an ok deal? Has anyone warped/broken their headlights trying to open them up? If there's a significant risk then I might just get it done professionally.

Also, if I do plan to do it myself, will a heat gun work? Or is oven the best option. My friend wants to use a heat gun (I won't be doing much of this myself, I'm a 1/10 on the DIY scale) as he's had better success with that (opens up lots of headlights) BUT has never had to open up permaseal.
Sponsored

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
A heat gun worked much better for me than baking them in the oven. I used the oven method for about half of the first headlight and then switched to the heat gun for the remainder of that light and the second light. The heat gun is definitely the way to go. Be careful not to remain in one spot for too long with the heat gun because the plastic will get soft extremely quickly.

Fray_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang S550 V6
A heat gun worked much better for me than baking them in the oven. I used the oven method for about half of the first headlight and then switched to the heat gun for the remainder of that light and the second light. The heat gun is definitely the way to go. Be careful not to remain in one spot for too long with the heat gun because the plastic will get soft extremely quickly.

Might be silly to ask, but will a hair dryer work? :headbonk:

aks0605

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Might be silly to ask, but will a hair dryer work? :headbonk:
In my experiences doing things that require a heat gun... a hair dryer just never really got hot enough. If you dont use a heat gun alot go to harbor freight and pick you up a cheap one. may not be the best long term quality but will for sure work long enough to get 1 job done.
All the times ive taken apart headlights i used the oven method. had 1 bad experience but i never tried the heat gun. Im for sure going to try the gun first when i do my headlights this time.

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quick question? What glue/sealer would one use to seal the headlights back together? Wouldn't want them to fog up.

Sponsored

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
I also used the butyl sealer on mine. It's been 7-8 months and I havn't had any fogging issues. I got mine from autozone for around $15.
Sponsored