Sponsored

Interior Dome Lights Clips

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
Hello everyone,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, not sure where to start this thread.

I got a 2018 mustang and was attempting to change the dome lights to LED.

I noticed that my 2015 mustang had totally different clips which had metal clips and were easy to take off.

Now they seem to be fully plastic and i feel like i am completely going to break them if i try to pull it off.

Anyone experience this or have an easy way of taking off on a 2018?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I replaced the map light bulbs with LED's a couple of days ago on a 2017 GT. The map light housing gave me a few fits, too. I was being overly cautious with it. What didn't work was using a controlled slow pull and mild tugs. What got it off was using two hands from the front corners and giving it a quick, firm but forceful yank downwards. Not enraged gorilla mode but forceful. It popped right off undamaged.

It's curious that Ford would use different clips for this piece on the 18 but you never know. Anyway hope this helps and good luck with getting it off.

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
We haven't had a 2018 in our studio yet (later this month!), but from what I saw at SEMA, it looks to be the same housing they've been using since 2005.

Nick C.
Yes, it is the same exact housing. For some reason they just changed the clips actually holding the housing in place. They seem to be cheaper and are fully made from plastic. When I try to take it off the same way I took it off on my 2015, it just bends the clip and stretches the plastic. There is actually a small gap now between the headliner and the housing in one side due to that reason.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HS,

How are you trying to get the housing off? I'm curious how you know for certain the clips are different without removing the housing? Any sag or gap is from a clip being pulled off its support mount. Easy to fix...... once the housing is off. ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your second pic is what I was trying to describe about the clip being pulled up off its support.... a pic is definitely worth a 1K words. It looks exactly like my 2017. Congrats on getting it off..... so how do you like the your new LED's?
Sponsored