Sponsored

Realistic goals for a pro-charged 2015?

VIN666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Hi all.

Not new to modding cars, but new to the 5.0.
I am contemplating acquiring a 2015 when the time comes, but I don't drive stock toys... Ever :)
So I thought I'd start doing some reading to educate myself on the coyote.
All I've seen so far, indicates that Ford is going to up the ante a little and do some of the things that people would do aftermarket, from the factory.
Bigger cams, better flowing heads, forged internals etc.
Now, based on your guys' 5.0 experience, what is a realistic power goal for one of these motors with the following mods:

Procharger / dyno tuned for 93 octance / Headers / Offroad X pipe / Exhaust / Boss manifold (if still applicable with the 2015...) / Throttle body.

Procharger claims 600 Hp on an otherwise stock car with their canned tune for the current model. I would think, that with the items listed above one should see quite a bit more.
But that's why I am posting on here, because I assume that some of you guys probably have done all this on current gen cars and give me a better perspective. :)

Thanks.
Sponsored

SLVRBACK

Tuna on white, no crust
Threads
Reaction score
I would say look at a current boss with a procharger and see what it makes, you should also specify the amount of boost you will be running. At around 8# I dont see 600rwhp on a safe tune to be out of reach.

Forged internals? Forged crank and rods, yes. Pistons? I believe those may be the weak link.

I'm also curious to see the engine bay room for these FI applications. It seemed tight in the spy photos, if those actually hold any merit im not sure.

OP
OP

VIN666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
That would be awesome, because the number I had in mind was 700 crank, which would be around 615 wheel.

Haven't found anything on the pistons, my logic was, if they bother with forged rods and crank, they aren't going to stuff cheap pistons in there... maybe I am wrong of course.

As far as boost goes, like I said, I am not familiar with the platform, so running 11:1 compression I am not sure how much boost will be feasible on 93... My gut feel was 7-8 lbs tops. Maybe as high as 10 with meth injection?

SLVRBACK

Tuna on white, no crust
Threads
Reaction score
From what I understand the pistons are aluminum. Not 100% on their durability but the boss rotating assembly(which the coyote now has) seems to be quite stout.

On 93 I would say that 8#'s is right about where you'll want to be in terms of max safe boost. But that all depends on quality of gas and the skill of your tuner. E-85(if readily available) or Methanol would be great things to consider when thinking about the " safeness " of your situation.

OP
OP

VIN666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I have a carburated e85 car.
It's a beast, but at least in that car it's a PITA, as the stuff is available, but with only 6 mpgs I need to plan all my trips carefully! And every spring I get to clean the carb, as the e85 chrystalizes when it evaporates, making a mess in the carb... :/

To be fair, I would suspect that a blown coyote on e85 should be still able to get around 12 mpgs, which would be acceptable.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The Coyote always had a forged crank capable of holding 1,000+hp. The rods are still sinter-forged but now they are the Boss's which are a little beefier. Pistons are still likely the hyper cast versions similar to what we had before, the Boss had forged pistons.

Guys have been safely running 10psi with 11:1 compression on the Coyote, making about 650hp to the tires.

OP
OP

VIN666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Would you happen to have a link to a well documented build thread?

:)

trolls56

Threads
Reaction score
Not procharged but JPC turbo kit on stock boss. Paxton/Vortech have had much better numbers and a cheaper kits if you want to stay supercharger than Procharger. Well all on the current Coyotes.

OP
OP

VIN666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
That's interesting considering Procharger's claim to deliver the coldest charge and the most power... :?

Sponsored

SLVRBACK

Tuna on white, no crust
Threads
Reaction score
Paxton 2200 is hands down the best deal in terms of power. Dat beefcake special.

trolls56

Threads
Reaction score
I would suggest going to svtperformance and reading the current coyote forum. The paxton kit is by far the best selling most use centrificul supercharger. The paxton kit has the best intercooler. It is also much much cheaper than procharger if you goto JPC or Beefcake racing. Terry from Beefcake racing and the JPC cars both had 1000 hp paxton cars. Terry has gone to bigger Vortech kit since then and JPC has the own custom turbo kit on their cars now.

OP
OP

VIN666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Interesting read on the beefcake special. LOL
That definitely looks very interesting.
I have a lot of reading to do, thanks for all the suggestions!

trolls56

Threads
Reaction score
Personally a big single turbo is the way to go but a turbo kit cost more at first and they are normally made by smaller companies. They don't have the ability to manufacture their kits as fast and in turn take much much longer to come out. Procharger seems to be the first come out with kits but to me their coyote design was rushed and I didnt like the intake placement. I hope that JPC's current turbo kit wont need much of a change for the new cars.
Sponsored