Sponsored

What's the avg. # of months between manufacture and purchase?

GoFas7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
'18 Kona Blue, GT Premium, PP1, 6MT
I'm curious for those of us who purchase dealership stock on the lot, how many months old are the cars?

Secondly, has anyone had issues buying a 3 month or 6 month old "new" Mustang or any number between?

My car was built in December 2017 and purchased end of May 2018, a solid five months later.

Should I worry about anything? So far it seems fine after I picked all of the leaves out from under the hood and under the rear glass!

I am most interested in paint and plastics of the exterior? Tires?

She is garaged now, but hope she's alright after five months outside!

Thank you for your feedback!
Sponsored

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Totally understandable. In 2013 I bought a new GT convertible that had been transferred from a dealer down state and it had about 130 miles on it from being driven for the transfer. The engine compartment was filthy dirty. I should have delayed delivery and made the dealer detail it, but I was excited to get the car and figured I could just clean it up myself.

On the other hand my 17 GT350 was built the end of May 2017 and the dealer got it delivered to them the middle of June. They never even put it out in the showroom. They had it stashed away inside the back in a storage area in a corner in nice minty shape.

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
In the UK they are still selling MY17’s as they built shed loads these are nearly a year old now :eyebulge: I know they are having trouble with aircon at the moment with them sat so long, tyres would be another thing that you could get problems with

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I’m purposely staying away from any new 2017 18my builds. Warranty should take care of any early surprises, but not reassuring completely.

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
My 2017 build date 5/17. I bought it new from dealer 5/18

Sponsored

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
It will vary by dealer, some turn inventory really quick because they buy a lot and can offer deeper discounts and push this. Most dealers you will find a few old stragglers that are 5-6 months old. There is nothing wrong with the car being this old and buying it, tires won't go bad in a few months, and most of us that daily our car, it sits out in the sun all day for many years without tires going bad. Today's paint systems are not going to oxidize or go bad in that short of time either. The only thing I would watch for is to give it a good look over, the longer it sits, the more likely it will get a door ding. Also, check the mileage to make sure it hasn't been taken on many joy rides, and if it has it, check the accelerator details to see if anyone has been driving it hard. I've seen many that are 6 months old with 5 miles on them in pristine condition. As the car approaches 30 days on the lot, the dealer will have more incentive to deal as they'll eventually be losing money (interest or at least time value of money). Warranty starts on the day you buy it and not when it was built. The biggest thing to watch out for is if there are ever any batches of builds, or build date ranges that have a major issue that you've seen posted that is worth avoiding. I know many people avoided certain GT350's due to oil consumption concerns.

My car was built in 11/2017 and I bought it 1/21/18. The dealer only had the car for about a week before I bought it. It was one of the few early production PP2 cars, have had no issues with it in nearly 5 months of driving it, nearing 2k miles.

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
Mine was built may 2016, I bought it off the lot in June 12th 2016. Not even a month. That was from a dealer just out side of Philly PA that had like 45+ in inventory. I think they sold a lot of mustangs. It depends on your location, i know in NY and the northeast USA cars sit on the lot a LONG time because of weather.

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
It will vary by dealer, some turn inventory really quick because they buy a lot and can offer deeper discounts and push this. Most dealers you will find a few old stragglers that are 5-6 months old. There is nothing wrong with the car being this old and buying it, tires won't go bad in a few months, and most of us that daily our car, it sits out in the sun all day for many years without tires going bad.
The difference with a daily and one sat in a compound for a year, is the tyres move every day, where as the one in compound might not move for a year, only saying this as I remember seeing a article about another new car that had sat in a compound for a year, they guess it must of been sat in puddle for a lot of that time and the cores had rusted in the tyres and which caused a blowout.

jonrjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Premium GT, 2013 Taurus SHO, F-350 Crewcab FX4 Lariat 4x4
Purchased my new 2017 Ecoboost Platinum White off of the dealers lot 2.5 weeks ago. It had been in dealer inventory for 300 days at that time.

The biggest difference that I noticed was the $10,000 discount from the window sticker. It may be almost 2 model years old, but it was new when purchased and the warranty began on the date of purchase

It was also the only year this body style was available in Platinum White. It is the same color as my 2013 Taurus SHO and F350 FX4 DRW Crewcab.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Mine was built in June/2017 and in my possession within two weeks from manufacture. Everything in the wrap. No test drive and I could drive it off the lot 2 hours after we made the deal. This was fleet sales. You guys put up with unmentionable BS as regular customers. So far his has been the most reliable car I have ever had. Even the a/c still works (for now).

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944

Prokiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT & 2018 Mustang GT PP2
ordered 3/5. delivered 6/14. 3.5 months.

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
Mine was a purchase from the dealer lot, and it was 11 weeks from the build date.
Sponsored