Sluggish/Slower Coyote after Longtubes

Brianh922

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1
Recently installed a 18 Manifold with lockouts and had it retuned by Lund on 93 and E85. Car felt really strong after adding the manifold with the stock headers. Not too long after I added the manifold, I had a set of TSP catless headers installed. After the headers the car feels a lot slower to me and even my girlfriend. Doesn't seem to pull hard. Car feels like it has no torque and takes forever to rev all the way up to 7500. I had Lund look at a log after the headers to make sure I didn't need a revision and they confirmed everything looked good. Car is running 30-31 degrees of timing and fueling is spot on. I'm planning on getting it dyno'd with the new setup to see if it's making the power it should. I couldn't find anything out there from anyone saying headers caused them to lose power. Any idea of what could be going on? I've read that using O2 extensions could cause some issues but I've driven the car over 200 miles and haven't had a check engine light come on. Also TSP catless headers don't have an O2 bung for the rear O2 sensors but that shouldn't matter since they're turned off anyways. So they didn't even get put back on the car. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Here's a link to the log I sent Lund via Datazap.

https://datazap.me/u/brianh922/lund-e85r-headers-2018-im-lu47s?log=0&data=1
Sponsored

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Similar situation as you. Does it feel like it just revs without going anywhere? Like it sounds like the engine is working fine but the car isn't moving. Also it is consistent? Sometimes my car pulls and feels great but often it acts exactly like you descrobe

I have a 17 as well and have been having numerous issues.

I have the 18 mani, e85, tsp headers, and gt350 cai. It made 447/376 on the dyno so everything seemed ok until I started driving it.

I'm also having idle issues, with some surging and occasional stalling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brianh922

Brianh922

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1
Similar situation as you. Does it feel like it just revs without going anywhere? Like it sounds like the engine is working fine but the car isn't moving. Also it is consistent? Sometimes my car pulls and feels great but often it acts exactly like you descrobe

I have a 17 as well and have been having numerous issues.

I have the 18 mani, e85, tsp headers, and gt350 cai. It made 447/376 on the dyno so everything seemed ok until I started driving it.

I'm also having idle issues, with some surging and occasional stalling.
Yeah I haven't had a good pull in it since the headers got put on. Everything sounds fine and looks fine but the car just doesn't feel like it's moving. Who did your tuning?

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
A local tuner. He’s looked at it multiple times but can’t seem to find anything wrong. He has plenty of experience (probably one of 3 top tuners in Houston) so I don’t think it’s the tune. I know some local people with the exact same setup and tune with no issues. I think something is mechanically wrong.

If it’s inconsistent, is it possible for it to be a tune? I mean I know there are variables not in my control that can play a role but I can’t seem to duplicate the issue consistently which is also a probelm

Jayme

DoggystyleRacing®
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aedhp.com
First Name
Jayme
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
A local tuner. He’s looked at it multiple times but can’t seem to find anything wrong. He has plenty of experience (probably one of 3 top tuners in Houston) so I don’t think it’s the tune. I know some local people with the exact same setup and tune with no issues. I think something is mechanically wrong.

If it’s inconsistent, is it possible for it to be a tune? I mean I know there are variables not in my control that can play a role but I can’t seem to duplicate the issue consistently which is also a probelm
Who in houston tuned it?

Sponsored

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP

bunk22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Auto
Maybe it is quicker, SOTP doesn't always mean faster or slower. I've used long-tubes on all my Stangs and my C6, never made the car slower at the track as long as the tune was spot on. Well, have not tracked my current ride but SOTP matched the dyno.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Log looks pretty good. What kind of lb/min were you achieving prior to the header install? That would be somewhat of an indication.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
maybe now since ur car is 10x louder it doesnt feel as fast since its louder at lower rpms.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Brianh922

Brianh922

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1
Log looks pretty good. What kind of lb/min were you achieving prior to the header install? That would be somewhat of an indication.
I was getting about 42 lb/min around 7000 RPM with the 18 manifold/LU47's on E85 with stock headers. Only had the manifold on about a week before the headers got done. But with the headers I picked up about 3 lbs around the same RPM.

OP
OP
Brianh922

Brianh922

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1
42 LB/MIN is very low for that
Yeah I thought so too. I was getting 45.5 lb/min at 7000 RPM with just a PMAS Intake/Catback on a FF tune.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
10x more annoying...
catted x pipe gets rid of the annoyance. A member of my mustang club in Jaxs couldn't believe I had LT's on my car at a car show this past Saturday. Had to open hood to prove it to him. He was like your car sounds amazing for just an axle back. :lol:

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a set of long tubes so hopefully have some data to compare in a week or two. 3lb/min gain from long tubes is about right, but I agree the 42lb/min base was on the lower side. The lb/min can vary though based on the tune and fuel trims etc. Assuming the tune was the same from stock manifolds to headers, the 3lb/min makes sense.
Sponsored