Sponsored

Motortrend '18 Mustang Ecoboost instrumented test

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
I searched but didn't see this linked anywhere. This is the first instrumented test I've seen of an '18 Ecoboost A10.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford...rd-mustang-ecoboost-first-test-chip-shoulder/

0-60 MPH 5.3 sec
QUARTER MILE 13.9 sec @ 97.2 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 106 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.96 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 25.1 sec @ 0.75 g (avg)

The numbers are better than the declining figures they've gotten from recent Ecoboost Mustangs, but they failed to make the sub five second 0-60 that Ford claimed at the same time that they were citing sub 4 second for the GT.

They noted that the car didn't seem happy in their figure 8 test - the A10 behaved strangely and LSD didn't seem to work properly. “Feels like a good eight-tenths car, but ask ten-tenths and it won’t like it.”

They've also posted a comparison of this highly optioned EB model to its obvious rival, the Cadillac ATS Coupe 2.0T. The Mustang actually does very well in comparison, "With two equally priced cars, the decision then comes down to which we’d rather drive. With better performance, a better driving experience, far more features, a nicer cabin, and a cheaper cost of ownership, the answer is inescapably Mustang."

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadi...2018-ford-mustang-ecoboost-comparison-review/
Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
That's about a second slower than I expected. I thought it would be closer to a 13.0. Its the same HP and more TQ than the 2003 Mach1 and people would pull 13.2-.4 regularly in those. It weighs a bit more(like 250lbs) but I'd expect the 10spd to make up for a lot of that. Is the gearing/weight THAT bad?

Sounds like they added a 10spd, and had the RS team re-do the ECU mapping to shave maybe 3 10ths.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nrc

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Ford said that it would do a sub five second 0-60 so you figure there should be at least half a second more that you can get out of it based on that.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I'm taking mine to the strip tonight. Should be a good time. I'm by no means an expert but I'll try my best. I am hoping for mid 13's but I really don't know what to expect.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I'm taking mine to the strip tonight. Should be a good time. I'm by no means an expert but I'll try my best. I am hoping for mid 13's but I really don't know what to expect.
Rev the car to 1200 RPMs and launch it fairly hard. It’ll do better that 13.9. I’d bet a weeks pay on that.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Rev the car to 1200 RPMs and launch it fairly hard. It’ll do better that 13.9. I’d bet a weeks pay on that.
Drag mode makes it fairly easy. Keep in mind I live in Phoenix, Da is never favorable. Not certain if I should keep traction control on or off while in drag mode, anyone have any ideas?

azelmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP2 RC, 18 BMW 430i, 2022 C8 Z51 (on order)
Drag mode makes it fairly easy. Keep in mind I live in Phoenix, Da is never favorable. Not certain if I should keep traction control on or off while in drag mode, anyone have any ideas?
I live in Mesa, AZ. You going out to Friday night drags at Wild Horse? Use to be out there all the time back in High School with my 64 Chevelle. Haven't done drag racing in a long time, other than when someone rolls up to me at a stop light. I do road courses now, just waiting for my PP2 so I can get back out.

Let us know what you run.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I live in Mesa, AZ. You going out to Friday night drags at Wild Horse? Use to be out there all the time back in High School with my 64 Chevelle. Haven't done drag racing in a long time, other than when someone rolls up to me at a stop light. I do road courses now, just waiting for my PP2 so I can get back out.

Let us know what you run.
Yep I'm currently in line, it's packed. Haven't been here since they changed ownership.

Ill report. Back

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Well I have some learning to do. 14.368 is my best. I need to figure out how to launch. also I have 87 in the tank instead of 91, whoops. I got one more run to go, hopefully I can crack 13's

OP
OP
nrc

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
My only disappointment about the EB is that power delivery feels a little unpredictable and that makes it difficult to to drive consistently - at least with a manual. I really haven't found a shift point that feels consistently right in hard acceleration.

For me it feels much more at home on the back roads where I can get into a groove and rarely have the opportunity to wind it out anyway.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I searched but didn't see this linked anywhere. This is the first instrumented test I've seen of an '18 Ecoboost A10.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford...rd-mustang-ecoboost-first-test-chip-shoulder/

0-60 MPH 5.3 sec
QUARTER MILE 13.9 sec @ 97.2 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 106 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.96 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 25.1 sec @ 0.75 g (avg)

The numbers are better than the declining figures they've gotten from recent Ecoboost Mustangs, but they failed to make the sub five second 0-60 that Ford claimed at the same time that they were citing sub 4 second for the GT.

They noted that the car didn't seem happy in their figure 8 test - the A10 behaved strangely and LSD didn't seem to work properly. “Feels like a good eight-tenths car, but ask ten-tenths and it won’t like it.”

They've also posted a comparison of this highly optioned EB model to its obvious rival, the Cadillac ATS Coupe 2.0T. The Mustang actually does very well in comparison, "With two equally priced cars, the decision then comes down to which we’d rather drive. With better performance, a better driving experience, far more features, a nicer cabin, and a cheaper cost of ownership, the answer is inescapably Mustang."

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadi...2018-ford-mustang-ecoboost-comparison-review/

Wait for the Car and Driver times as they are always the fastest. If they can’t do it then Ford lied. But I’d wait for that test.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Sub 14 second run......not bad.
But not a deal maker either.
Give me the 3.5 TT and this car......

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
This is unfortunate given a manual non pp did a 5.1 0-60

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Well I have some learning to do. 14.368 is my best. I need to figure out how to launch. also I have 87 in the tank instead of 91, whoops. I got one more run to go, hopefully I can crack 13's
Thats not real bad. That corrects out to a 13.827@106 at sea level.:shrug:As far as drag mode. Turn that crap off and launch it yourself. Once you get it right you'll outlaunch the computer nannies.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Sub 14 second run......not bad.
But not a deal maker either.
Give me the 3.5 TT and this car......
The new 3.0tt would be better.
Sponsored