Myweepony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
Hi Guys,

I asked this question quite some time ago but never got a definitive answer.

Obviously, the cars have been around a few years now so someone may know the answer by now.

Has anybody bought a spare key outwith a Ford dealership? Can we program them like they do in the US of A if we have both the original keys? What sort of prices were paid?

Cheers
Sponsored

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
Yes, I bought a fully working spare key from the dealer when I got my car last year. It was about £200 from memory - just confirmed that with an email from the dealer at the time

Last edited:
OP
OP

Myweepony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
Thanks for that Christian. That doesn't sound too bad from a dealer.

I think at the time I was quoted about £100 just for the fob from an autolocksmith. Anybody know if we can program them ourselves?

It would appear they can in States, if you have both the original keys.

OP
OP

Myweepony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
OK, just to bring some closure to this.

The guy on Ebay that quoted me £100 + PP is now selling them for £75 incl PP. The fobs have batteries but no key blank. At least that is how mine came. Blanks are available on ebay as well for a couple of quid.

Using the following procedure, it took a few goes and I can't remember if I started with the doors locked, I now have 3 programmed keys.

Programming a Spare Intelligent Access Key
Note: You can program a maximum of four intelligent access keys to your vehicle.
You must have two previously programmed intelligent access keys inside your vehicle and the new unprogrammed intelligent access keys readily accessible.
See an authorized dealer to have the spare key programmed if two previously programmed keys are not available.
Make sure that your vehicle is off before beginning this procedure. Make sure that you close all the doors before beginning and that they remain closed throughout the procedure. Perform all steps within 30 seconds of starting the sequence. Stop and wait for at least one minute before starting again if you perform any steps out of sequence.
Read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.

1. Remove the rubber covering (A) from the cupholder. Place the first programmed key in the backup slot (B) at the bottom of the cupholder, then press the push button ignition switch.
2. Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.
3. Remove the intelligent access key.
4. Within 10 seconds, place a second programmed intelligent access key in the backup slot. Press the push button ignition switch.
5. Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.
6. Remove the intelligent access key.
7. Place the unprogrammed intelligent access key in the backup slot and press the push button ignition switch.

Programming is now complete. Verify the remote control functions operate and your vehicle starts with the new intelligent access key.
If programming was not successful, wait 10 seconds and repeat Steps 1 through 7.
If you are still unsuccessful, take your vehicle to your authorized dealer.

Hope this helps.

A bit cheaper than the dealer anyway.

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
Who's the ebay guy you used by the way - is there a link to what you bought?

OP
OP

Myweepony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto