Sponsored

Steeda Pro action vs Ford Performance Shock and Struts —Witch is Best and Why????

socal2fast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Love to hear what you guys think of these? Witch have the best smoothest ride? Witch is the most well made?

Any other info?

Looking to pair with BMR Spring.

Thanks
Sponsored

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
So Ford Perfmance sells two different sets of shocks. A street handling version and a track handling version. To my knowledge, the street handling shocks are the exact same ones sold as OEM on performance package equipped GTs. The track shocks are unique. Both the street and track shocks are specifically targeted with Ford performance springs, and again Ford sells two different sets. Ford Performance does not sell a suspension kit with stock springs.

The Pro Action shocks sold by Steeda are actually built by KONI, but are valved specifically to Steeda specs and targeted with their own progressive springs in mind (non adjustable versions). There are people out there running Steeda shocks (adjustable) with BMR springs. But most people I see running Ford Racing shocks are also running Ford Racing springs.

If your gonna run Steeda pro action shocks (non adjustable), you would do better to run their springs (progressives). You know they work together. If you’ve already purchase BMR springs then hopefully someone can chime in on the combo.

Just curious, which BMR spring? As bmr springs are all linear, if your gonna do pro action shocks you might want to get the adjustables as you can dial them in to whatever springs your targeting. Ford Racing only sells progressive springs and their shocks are static and built specific for their progressive springs. Prob why you don’t see people running Ford Racing shocks without their springs

OP
OP
socal2fast

socal2fast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
----

So Ford Perfmance sells two different sets of shocks. A street handling version and a track handling version. To my knowledge, the street handling shocks are the exact same ones sold as OEM on performance package equipped GTs. The track shocks are unique. Both the street and track shocks are specifically targeted with Ford performance springs, and again Ford sells two different sets. Ford Performance does not sell a suspension kit with stock springs.

The Pro Action shocks sold by Steeda are actually built by KONI, but are valved specifically to Steeda specs and targeted with their own progressive springs in mind (non adjustable versions). There are people out there running Steeda shocks (adjustable) with BMR springs. But most people I see running Ford Racing shocks are also running Ford Racing springs.

If your gonna run Steeda pro action shocks (non adjustable), you would do better to run their springs (progressives). You know they work together. If you’ve already purchase BMR springs then hopefully someone can chime in on the combo.

Just curious, which BMR spring? As bmr springs are all linear, if your gonna do pro action shocks you might want to get the adjustables as you can dial them in to whatever springs your targeting. Ford Racing only sells progressive springs and their shocks are static and built specific for their progressive springs. Prob why you don’t see people running Ford Racing shocks without their springs

------------------------

Going with the BMR Springs as I hear good thing s about them and my Rear can't go any lower them it is now. The BMR only drop .50" in the Rear and I will use a Steeda spring Spacer to move it back up to where it is sitting right now.

Looks like the ford performance Shocks come with a Lot more Parts in the Kit????

Are these to GOOD ford Shocks?

390233?$mproductios$&wid=810&hei=608.jpg
https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-shock-strut-kit-1516gt.html

Steeda

403774?$mproductlarge$&wid=810&hei=608.jpg

https://www.americanmuscle.com/stee...struts-1518-gt-ecoboost-v6-w-o-magneride.html

----

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT

Me and lots of others are running Ford Racing shocks with springs from a different brand. I am running BMR SP083s and I love them. I have a direct comparison because I used to run the Ford Racing track springs. I had a lot of driving with them. In fact, I’ve seen a bunch of people buy the Ford track kit only to switch out the springs for a linear type of a different brand.

IMO the Ford Racing shocks will work great with any spring choice, except for maybe the Steeda dual rate springs. The Ford Racing shocks may not be able to keep up with that but they keep up with my BMR Handling springs which have a very high spring rate (250 lb/in F, 980 lb/in R).

The Steeda fixed shocks should work well with most spring offerings but don’t have enough rebound IMO for the BMR handling springs, at least in the rear. This is based on actual experience from a friend. If you want to run a really high spring rate like the BMR SP083s or the Dual Rates Steedas I would recommend the Steeda Adjustable Shocks. You need more rebound damping for the higher rate springs particularly in the rear.

I don’t have any personal experience with the Steeda shocks but I don’t question their quality. I love my Ford Racing shocks. They keep the car planted and hug the road extremely well while being supple enough to handle bumps and not be crashy. They’re also monotube vs. twin tube which I now prefer. The Ford Racing shocks will work very well with linear springs which I also prefer.

The Ford Racing track springs are great. But I ended up realizing that they lack the directness and predictablity of a linear spring which is why I made the switch.

Sponsored

OP
OP
socal2fast

socal2fast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'm going to go with the BMR SP088 Rear and the SP081 Front springs after talking with BmacIL on springs and having about 350lbs. of car audio in the trunk.

Just trying to learn witch shocks are best and why.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly they'll both perform well with the springs you're going with. I prefer the way the Ford Performance ride and handle after having them both, though. They're more composed over broken pavement and feel a tad more planted overall. Both do a good job of mitigating abrupt motion during acceleration and braking.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I will be happy to put you in touch with our tech team to provide you with the information. From a company perspective, we have excelled in the Mustang market for over 30 years & racing is in our DNA.

When we develop our shocks & struts - we spend countless hours testing them on & off the track, fine tuning them to pair well with our other compliment of parts.

The Steeda Pro Actions are track proven - winning on the track.

Our shocks & struts come with a lifetime warranty - they are engineered and manufactured to provide the ultimate in ride quality and handling while exceeding OE standards for durability & build quality.

Shoot me a note to [email protected] if I can help direct you to our technical team.

Best Regards,

TJ

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Let's be honest, does it really matter what is "best" when you have 350lbs of crap in the trunk? Answer is no, it doesn't.

With that said, any name brand shock/spring or package will be fine, don't over think it.

Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Running FR track set with their sway bars and Steeda ultralite linear springs among many other suspension parts.

Blackhawk25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe S
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
TJ which dampers would you recommend for the minimum drop springs, stock PP, ford performance track, Steeda adjustable or Steeda fixed and do you recommend upgrading sway bars or are the factory PP sways sufficient.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have had Steeda Adjustable shocks with Swift Spec R springs. Guess what, it was awesome and my car didn't explode because I put another brand of springs in with Steeda dampers. Weird.

I installed Steeda non-adjustable dampers with the latest BMR Handling springs the other day, actually. Also, that car did not explode. Weird. He was very happy...

Oh, and hold on to your loins cuz I've also installed Steeda dampers with...... EIBACH SPRINGS! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG! This car did explode, though. Blew up into a billion pieces because the Steeda shocks thought the red-powder coated springs were BMR and when they found out the springs were actually Eibach, they decided to blow up in unison because they weren't designed for red springs, let alone red springs that aren't BMR springs. It was really tragic.

Anywho... Steeda springs are Koni-manufactured with Steeda-specific valving to increase rebound control. Steeda has posted on this forum in numerous places the spring rate and type ranges that are suitable for these. I run 350# front springs and 1200# rear springs with the adjustable dampers and it's great. You are not going to come close to those rates with your BMR springs.

And, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you install BMR springs and then use a spacer to bring the car back up to its stock height, while lowering the front, it will (1) look terrible and (2) be a waste of time... you might as well leave the stock spring in in the rear. The BMR Performance springs are not significantly stiffer than stock PP springs. I'd be looking into why exactly you can't lower the rear of your car. Fishy...

I'd go with the Steeda dampers all day. Ford's aren't bad, either.

Blackhawk25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe S
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
very informative, thank you, rookie here, I installed the Steeda minimum drop springs and just wanted some feedback for those springs,the drop is slight (which is what i wanted) i just want to improve handling a bit more, these boards get confusing sometimes, a lot of opinions. lol

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
very informative, thank you, rookie here, I installed the Steeda minimum drop springs and just wanted some feedback for those springs,the drop is slight (which is what i wanted) i just want to improve handling a bit more, these boards get confusing sometimes, a lot of opinions. lol

Ford Perf shocks will be a stiffer ride on the street as they're monotube. If you like a stiffer ride and are willing to risk having no adjustability to soften some of that out, they're a great option at a great price.

The Steeda shocks are twin tube, which is excellent for the street and will offer a more damped ride comparatively while still controlling the spring. I think the Steedas are the ticket.

If Bilstein could manufacture product and wasn't on some mysterious ridiculous backorder, maybe those would be worth trying but they can't seem to fulfill any orders.
Sponsored